PDA

View Full Version : PhotoShop CS4 doesn't recognise this type of file....??

Chimbu
27-01-2012, 5:17pm
This message popped up when I tried opening an image (eg. labelled as : IMG_3085.CR2) shot in RAW with my Canon G10. Note, it opens with 'Digital Photo Professional' (a software program that came with the G10) but I want to process my digitalised old 35mm colour slides using PhotoShop instead. A possible solution would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers, Ross.

Brigitte
27-01-2012, 5:25pm
Not sure if this will help but my Nikon D7000 raw files are not recognised by Photoshop CS3. The work around for me was to down load the free DNG converter from Microsoft. Use this to convert the files to DNG format and they should then open in Photoshop. Hope it works.

Clubmanmc
27-01-2012, 5:31pm
yeah... the newer cameras are not supported by the raw editor in CS4 the updated version which will do those raws will only work with CS5

sadly you have to upgrade...

M

fess67
27-01-2012, 5:31pm
What version is your ACR? I read that the G10 has been supported since version 5.2

Check if it is up to date.

ameerat42
27-01-2012, 5:35pm
Dunno if you can get a plug-in for that camera and CS4. NO program will (easily) read my Sigma X3F files, so if I really need to PP them more than the raw converter does I save them out at max 16-bit tiffs and then use CS2 Photoshop. The X3Fs are 12-bit raws, so they "fit" well into 16-bit tiffs.
Am.

PS. I just read Clubmanc's closing comment, and :)-ILY, you won't have to upgrade to CS5.

agb
27-01-2012, 5:36pm
yeah... the newer cameras are not supported by the raw editor in CS4 the updated version which will do those raws will only work with CS5

sadly you have to upgrade...

M

Or you could download the Adobe DNG converter, which is free, convert the CR2 to DNG and then that will open in CS4 .

Xenedis
27-01-2012, 5:37pm
It sounds as though your raw file format is newer than the version of ACR that comes with CS4.

I run CS4, and when I've had to reinstall it, I've needed to run an update to bring the various software elements (including ACR) up to the latest version (for that software) to support the raw files from my Canon EOS 5D Mark II.

fess67
27-01-2012, 5:40pm
It sounds as though your raw file format is newer than the version of ACR that comes with CS4.

I run CS4, and when I've had to reinstall it, I've needed to run an update to bring the various software elements (including ACR) up to the latest version (for that software) to support the raw files from my Canon EOS 5D Mark II.

and from what I read the G10 was supported in the same update that brought in support for the 5D2. Worth exploring.

Xenedis
27-01-2012, 5:48pm
and from what I read the G10 was supported in the same update that brought in support for the 5D2. Worth exploring.

The version of ACR which shipped with CS4 does not support the raw files from the Canon EOS 5D Mark II.

The version to which I upgraded (v5.7.0.213) does support them.

As far as I know, only ACR v5.x will work with CS4; you cannot upgrade to ACR v6.x with CS4.

Chimbu
27-01-2012, 10:35pm
A sincere thanks to all for your very much appreciated replies - problem solved following the related download and installation of the Adobe Camera Raw 5.2 update. Fantastic.
Cheers, Ross.