PDA

View Full Version : Boy have i dodged a bullet

mudman
25-01-2012, 9:54am
last year i decided to get my hiatus hernia fixed.
as part of the checking i had a capsule scan. this showed a couple of anomolies which i had checked by colonoscopy.
the doctor who did this is the same one i go to every few years to check the hernia.
as i had had a check in February it was only 8 months between checks. as he passed the prostate he checks to see if there are any
irregularities. in february all was fine, in October he found a lump. a psa test showed i was in the normal range.
a biopsy showed it is malignant.
an MRI showed no cell spread which means a dose of radiation therapy should fix the problem
if i had not decided to get the hernia fixed it would have been about 3 years before it was found and it would have been well established. in which case surgury would probably have been the only option, not a happy thought
so fellas get your prostate checked regularly especially if there is a family history of prostate problems or you are past a certain age.
talk to your doctor

fisher
25-01-2012, 10:43am
Hi Mudman , great advice & glad to hear alls well . Go out and buy a lotto ticket. Been there and done that on a larger scale, so I hope others take your advice.

Cheers Fisher

Allie
25-01-2012, 11:01am
I am very glad this was found early, Mudman .... this hernia repair has been very useful! All the best for a quick recovery!:)

old dog
25-01-2012, 11:08am
yep, glad you discovered it muddy man. I am also a prostate victim...no cancer fingers crossed but have to keep a close eye on PSA levels.

ving
25-01-2012, 11:10am
should get off my butt and get it done hey...

mudman
25-01-2012, 12:44pm
thanks all for your support.
don't have the radiation till mid February and then at least 5 months of PSA tests to see if the count is dropping, which it should if therapy worked. fingers and everything crossed.
cheers

Analog6
25-01-2012, 2:47pm
What a lucky discovery. My OH gets his PSA checked regularly and I am vigilant on his behalf. Gives you pause, though!

yummymummy
25-01-2012, 3:28pm
wow, so glad you got it checked and found it early!! :th3:

Duane Pipe
25-01-2012, 4:17pm
Best of luck Muddy.
It took my Grandfather but I think he let it go too far and left it to late, I'm only 45 but still have it checked every few years:)

norval
25-01-2012, 4:31pm
I had a scare too a few years back. Now my birthday present to myself is a PR check by my doc. This way I don't forget.

mudman
25-01-2012, 5:36pm
good thinking Norval. hope it stays good for you

mudman
25-01-2012, 5:39pm
thanks Duane. hope the news stays good for you. a psa test can be done on medicare and only takes a minute to do

mudman
25-01-2012, 5:42pm
thanks Odille, sure is confronting as far as one's mortality is concerned.
i'm not worried about this episode, only a couple of days in hospital. the worst part will be the cathater
cheers

mudman
25-01-2012, 5:44pm
thanks Y.M, gotta stay on the old toes now that's for sure