PDA

View Full Version : SB 700 speedlight failure

simsy
24-01-2012, 11:37pm
G'day, i will do my best to make this short. 2 months ago i bought an SB 700 and i used it for about 6 shots and then screen failed to turn on again (even with new batteries). so i sent it away under warranty and received my new speedlight on friday. Long story short i got three shots out of it and exactly the same thing happened as the first one. I am rather peeved, i am almost 100% sure that the new one posted was not the old one.

Could it be my nikon D90 that is breaking the speedlight? i am kind of lost as i have googled it and found nothing about these flashes having problems.

It's really frustrating as i have had so many plans to get out and use a speedlight and now this happens for the second time.

Simsy

I @ M
25-01-2012, 8:28am
i am almost 100% sure that the new one posted was not the old one.

Nikon speedlights, like most other Nikon products have a unique serial number that is used for identification when they are submitted for service or a warranty claim. It should be on both the original packaging and the unit itself and most people note that down when they buy the units if only for the purposes of insurance claims should the unit be lost, stolen or destroyed. So it should be easy to tell if the new unit was a different one to the original.

Could it be my nikon D90 that is breaking the speedlight?

Possibly. After your experience I would be sending both the speedlight and camera to be assessed for faults. As you have already found out through the 'net, there doesn't seem to be any reported issue with either the speedlights or camera compatibility and neither should there be.

Hope it is all resolved satisfactorily and please do update this thread as you find out more so that others can refer to it. :)

simsy
05-02-2012, 10:17pm
ok update, i went to the camera house today and did a bit of a dodgy. I took my D90 in and asked to try out a SB700. after 20 shots the flash was still alive, so i am guessing they sent me back the same speedlight. I will update again once the new one comes

PJI254
24-02-2012, 9:23am
Is it under Warranty?