PDA

View Full Version : Wanting to purchase a Telescopic Lens

KittyKlaws
23-01-2012, 10:32am
I own a Nikon D70s with a Nikkor 15 - 70mm lens. I'm contemplating getting 70 - 300mm telescopic lens and would like some advice before purchasing it. To date I have only been looking at Nikkor lenses. I'm not looking for something at the top end, but nor something at the very low end. An intermediate lens would be ideal. Would love to get some recommendations.

rene52
23-01-2012, 11:00am
The main thing here is how much do you have to spend. The old addage that you get what you pay for is true in this case for lenses. I have had sigma and tamron lenses and both are very suitable and do the job. It just depends on what you require the telephoto lens for. I have 1 Sigma 50-500mm lens (that I paid just over $2000 for) and it is very good and sharp for the wildlife photos I take. I did have a 18-300mm Sigma and Tamron and they were ok in very good lighting but not sharp at all in low light (i.e. very cloudy days) unless I up'ed the ISO (which I don't like doing as it can introduce grain).

Again - it depends on what you want to pay. I do like the Sigma and Tamron lenses but then you need to make sure you know what you want to take photos of (not sure if this has helped or not).

davidd
23-01-2012, 12:08pm
The Nikkor AF-S 70-300 VR is pretty good, and not as heavy or expensive as the pro lenses. Just make sure it is the VR version, the G version is cheap and nasty.

It's downside is that it is not very good in low light.

Kym
23-01-2012, 12:26pm
The Sigma 70-300 APO (avoid the non APO) is a good affordable zoom in that range, and has a 1:2 macro capability.
http://www.sigmaphoto.com/shop/70-300mm-f4-56-apo-dg-macromotorized-nikon

I have the Sigma 50-500 which I use for birds, but it is heavy, other use the 150-500 which is also good for birds.
FWI 300mm is too generally short for birds.

Also: Sigma lenses can be bought local with a grey market price match...
Print this page and take it with you to the camera shop http://www.crkennedy.com.au/v1/index.cfm?pageID=465

We will attempt to match, through our authorised Sigma dealer network, any legitimate advertised internet price on Sigma lenses by these grey importers.ᅠThese prices do not include traditional pre-sales and after sales service normally given by your local retail store. We suggest that you research the product thoroughly before making any purchase.

So, if you buy Sigma ask the camera shop to arrange a CR Kennedy special price.

old dog
23-01-2012, 2:24pm
agree with David re the 70-300vr. I love mine.

Wayne
23-01-2012, 2:27pm
The Nikon AF-S 70-300VR is a great lens, sharp, fast focus in most light, just when its getting dark it can be a bit slow when zoomed above about 120mm. It is cheap as chips to get new and mint used, so I wouldn't look at the Sigma variety given the Nikon lens price. This lens has dropped in price by almost 50% in the last 18 months.

gqtuazon
24-01-2012, 8:04am
Budget always help and your intended use for the lens. If it is going to be used for outdoor with plenty of light, the variable aperture zoom lenses will work great but not for indoor use unless you have a good flash to supplement the lighting. Prime lenses are normally cheaper (D lenses) and can lower down your ISO.

In most cases, the super zooms don't get used a lot for general family oriented type photography unless you frequently use them for wildlife or sports. 18-200mm or 16-85mm would be an ideal lens for DX but the IQ is almost similar. Nikon 24-120mm f4 VRII will give you better IQ and a constant aperture. Nikon 28-300mm will work even better if you want an extended reach.

rellik666
24-01-2012, 10:13am
Hi KittyKlaws, yes what are you looking to photograph? That will help determine the reach you need. And yes make sure it is the VR I had the G and it was we to put it mildly better as a table leg! :)

pascal110
25-01-2012, 3:32pm
Hi KittyKlaws, yes what are you looking to photograph? That will help determine the reach you need.

Hello

This is a very valid point which will determine your expectations not only for reach for for a/f and light capability

Cheers

RRRoger
28-01-2012, 12:33pm
I agree that it depends on what you want to shoot.
I've had the Sigma 50-500 and 150-500, both VR and non Nikkor 70-300.
I prefer the new Nikkor 28-300