PDA

View Full Version : TAFE interview

TaliaLynette
20-01-2012, 6:29pm
Hey everyone i just have a few questions about a TAFE interview i have for a photography class. If you can help i will really appreciate it! :)

I have to present a minimum of 10 photographs of several different types of photography (portraiture, macro, landscape, still life, etc.) Would they prefer original photos (not edited) or is it okay to edit them?

Should i take my camera with me?

What kind of questions will I be asked?

I @ M
20-01-2012, 6:43pm
I have to present a minimum of 10 photographs of several different types of photography (portraiture, macro, landscape, still life, etc.) Would they prefer original photos (not edited) or is it okay to edit them?

I think that you would be better off asking the TAFE college that one.

Should i take my camera with me?

If it is for an interview for a place in a class at the TAFE I don't think that they will expect you to bring a camera along. If they do they will have probably specified that requirement to you in the letter / email confirming your interview.

What kind of questions will I be asked?

I haven't been through the interview process to score a place in a TAFE class but I reckon that the questions will be heavily weighted as to why it is that you should be given a place above the rest of the applicants. You will probably find yourself having to sell yourself very heavily as the ultimate photography addict on the planet. :)

William
20-01-2012, 6:57pm
Question , Why do you want to do a TAFE Course ? In reality you only have to get your head around the Exposure Triangle , Shutter Speed, Aperture and ISO , Learn the rule of thirds and practice , Seeing a shot cant be taught , It's up to you and your eye in the long run :)

Whale Boy
20-01-2012, 7:13pm
Hey TL,

I've just been through the TAFE process in Queensland - with success - yahoo, start early Feb, so excited. In Qld they assessed us via portfolio submission with 5 set pieces (Self Portrait, Character Portrait, Landscape, an Advertising submission and a Abstract shot) and up to 10 shots of our own choosing.

In the submission we were asked to present photos in an 8X10 format, mounted on card. They suggested a display folder (make sure you use a gloss sleeve rather than a matt finish if you use this option) because on each photo we had to provide capture details, how it was printed (I used a photo store), details of any processing (mine were simply cropped as required) and a few words/sentences to tell the story behind the photo, i.e. how you put it together and why. I presented mine with the details printed on a clean white sheet on one side of a 2 page opening and the photo on the other.

They provide a list of things that they said that they were looking for in our portfolio - I'll see if I can find that, it is longer on the web, and I'll get back to you.

In the meantime, if you want to talk some more - send me a pm and I'll give you my mobile number.

Kind regards,

Patrick

William
20-01-2012, 7:39pm
I'm Sorry I'm a sceptic on these courses , Does it say at the end of the course that your capable of taking a good shot or running a business , I'm wondering what qualifications the tutors have ? In this situation

Whale Boy
20-01-2012, 7:49pm
William,

The course that I am undertaking is a two year program. It covers some business aspects (been there done that) but a whole lot more on technique, with a fair emphasis on lighting and processing.

A friend just finished the course and her photography went from average to exceptional.

It's not for everyone I guess especially us silverbacks, but I am really looking forward to it. I'm guessing my 52 week project will be the proving ground - keep an eye on it!

*removed by site admin*

Cheers

Patrick

Mark L
20-01-2012, 9:34pm
Good luck TaliaLynette if that's what you want to do.
If you're doing this with the thought of starting a photo business, then a business course may be more useful. (that's a presumption on my part.)You can learn photography along the way and study it while you're setting up a business, if need be.

Would they prefer original photos (not edited) or is it okay to edit them?

Read what they want, does it say unedited or straight out of camera. I'd think not. I photograph in RAW (I learned why here) and that usually requires some editing. Edit away I reckon, if that produces the image you want.
If TAFE say they're not good enough for you, try this course...http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/showlibrary.php?title=Indexes:New_To_Photography_Book
Try it anyway.:th3::)