PDA

View Full Version : Pentax K-01 mirrorless APS-C camera - K-mount lenses

Kym
20-01-2012, 2:24pm
http://www.pentaxforums.com/news/pentax-k-01-mirrorless-k-mount-camera.html#ixzz1jwovFlBq

What a rippa! The Q sensor was way too small and Q was not K.

:plogo: is slated to announce a new k-mount mirrorless body at the CP+ camera & photo show in Japan, according to the latest rumors leaked by a Japanese camera blog and other sources. CP+ runs from February 9th, 2012 through February 12th; it starts in just three weeks!

The K-01 will be a mirrorless camera that uses the current K-mount lenses compatible with the :plogo: DSLR lineup. Judging be previous rumor trends, we believe this name is tentative.

Further specifications

"921,000 dot" 3-inch, VGA LCD screen from the K-5
K-5 image processing and sensor (16.3 Mp)
1080p HD video at 30fps
1/4000s-30s shutter speed range
Contrast-detect autofocus (81 metering points)
Built-in flash
12.1cm wide x 7.9cm high x 5.9 cm deep (compare to Pentax Q at 9.8cm x 5.8cm x 3.1 cm)
560g loaded with battery (compare to 200 for the Q)
New DA 40mm kit lens
Available in 3 lens kits
3 different colors
Electronic viewfinder

The most exciting thing about this camera will without a doubt be the fact that it uses K-mount lenses, making it compatible with thousands of current and legacy lenses both by :plogo: and other manufactures.

Judging by its size, this camera will be closer to a DSLR than a compact camera. As it's rumored to be developed by Hoya, this means that it's been in the pipeline for a while and it will likely have a lot of components in common with the K-5. It is also believed that alongside this camera, replacements for the current DSLRs (the K-r and K-5) from the pre-Ricoh era are being finalized.

More Pentax news at: http://www.pentaxforums.com/news/pentax-k-01-mirrorless-k-mount-camera.html#ixzz1jxf6A8bb

Cage
20-01-2012, 2:46pm
Did you note where the story came from?

http://www.mirrorlessrumors.com/hot-pentax-k-01-mirrorless-camera-coming-soon/

Perhaps it really will be announced at CP+ .

Anyway I think it would be a step in the right direction for Pentax. Hope so, as I've now locked myself into their gear with my K5 purchase.

I guess this may be their Kr replacement. My tip is an upgraded K5 with better AF and maybe the 24MP sensor later in 2012.

PS: The best gear on the planet won't help mugs take better photos. I went out yesterday for my first shoot with the K5 and grip. Shot about 100 frames off the tripod and when I looked at them in Photoshop I was dismayed. I'd played with ISO up to 1600 and was delighted with those results, however nothing was really sharp .

Then I realised I'd turned the anti-shake on to show a friend the camera, hand held, and hadn't turned it off before I went out with tripod. :Doh: :lol2:

Kym
20-01-2012, 2:54pm
Looks like this was a Hoya initiative, i.e. been in the pipeline for a while.
It does not give me much that I have not already got with the K-5, but it does look like the future.
Nothing on Yvon's blog yet :)

Rattus79
20-01-2012, 3:03pm
I will also stick with the k5 for now, but it's good to see that the company is doing something new.
Now Please, Please, Please, Make a full frame body to go with all those old primes we have been hoarding.

Kym
20-01-2012, 3:24pm
Make a full frame body to go with all those old primes we have been hoarding.

http://www.facebook.com/pentaxfullframe and click Like !!

Rattus79
20-01-2012, 4:50pm
Done and Done!!

OzzieTraveller
21-01-2012, 10:20pm
G'day all

News - more & more news !!

As I have said on numerous occasions > I predict that the mirror boxed SLR design of the 1950s will disappear "within the next 5yrs or so" and the EVF will become the norm for all cameras

Some of the smaller makers have been at it for a while ... Looks like it's starting with the big-boys

Regards, Phil

Kym
21-01-2012, 10:34pm
But in this case :plogo: keep the whole K-mount lens range - smart!

kyteflyer
23-01-2012, 8:28am
Then I realised I'd turned the anti-shake on to show a friend the camera, hand held, and hadn't turned it off before I went out with tripod. :Doh: :lol2:

I've had the same thing happen. The denizens at Pentaxforums swear black, blue and blind that you dont need to switch off when you put it on a tripod, if you use the timer (which I do) but I have many duds to say that is not the case.

Back on topic: the K-01 is just a rumour until Pentax says otherwise. I find it best not to get too excited in recent years. I'd like to see a real combination of Pentax + Ricoh. I love my GRD3, and I am sure that a Pentax compact with a 1/1.7 Ricoh sensor would be a winner too.

Cage
23-01-2012, 11:46am
I've had the same thing happen. The denizens at Pentaxforums swear black, blue and blind that you dont need to switch off when you put it on a tripod, if you use the timer (which I do) but I have many duds to say that is not the case.

It doesn't seem as much a problem as it was with the K20D, but it sure causes some degradation in sharpness.

And aren't they going nutso on Pentaxforum about the K-01 rumour. Up to 40 pages, and about as many spats going on. It's my morning entertainment reading the updates.

Kym
23-01-2012, 2:18pm
The denizens at Pentaxforums swear black, blue and blind that you dont need to switch off when you put it on a tripod,

The K-5 user manual page 70 says

Do not use the Shake Reduction function when using the camera on a tripod.
So I think that discussion is settled.

kyteflyer
23-01-2012, 11:15pm
The K-5 user manual page 70 says

So I think that discussion is settled.
The pentaxians over there swear it switches off automatically once you kick in with the timer. I dont believe it.

Kym
23-01-2012, 11:18pm
The pentaxians over there swear it switches off automatically once you kick in with the timer. I dont believe it.

The 2second mirror up delay does cut off SR

kyteflyer
24-01-2012, 9:12am
The 2second mirror up delay does cut off SR I have too many duds that says its not happening in my camera. I do it manually now.

Rattus79
24-01-2012, 2:13pm
I turn it of manually myself too. Better safe then sorry.
It's the one thing I miss from my k10, a dedicated switch for SR on/off.

Cage
30-01-2012, 10:31am
The latest from the K-01 rumour mill.

http://forum.xitek.com/thread-963322-3-1-1.html

In Chinese, but enough translation to get the gist.

Cheers

Kevin

Cage
02-02-2012, 12:58pm
Some (supposed) leaked shots of the new K-O1....

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/pentax/1039690-pentax-k-01-smc-pentax-da-40mmf2-8-xs-official-embargo-date-2-2-2012-a-3.html

There will be something official coming from Pentax UK at 11AM GMT today, about 10PM tonight here.

The big question mark seems to be speculation over whether there is an OVF or an EVF, or neither, with none of the leaked pics showing the whole back of the camera.

Surely Pentax wouldn't be so stupid as to not have either?

KevPride
03-02-2012, 12:13am
Well it has arrived - official Pentax press release - see attached link.

http://www.pentaximaging.com/about/press/263/PENTAX_RICOH_IMAGING_AMERICAS_CORPORATION_INTRODUCES_PENTAX_K-01_DESIGNED_BY_MARC_NEWSON

Cage
03-02-2012, 12:34am
The big question mark seems to be speculation over whether there is an OVF or an EVF, or neither, with none of the leaked pics showing the whole back of the camera.

Surely Pentax wouldn't be so stupid as to not have either?

Well they were.

And about 600g all up, held at arms length. Phew !!

I am sitting here shaking my head in disbelief. Apart from the aforementioned physical demands, how are you going to see the LCD screen with the sun in the ideal position, ie, over your shoulder.

Oh wait, the LCD screen has AR coating. Hallelujah.

Kym
03-02-2012, 4:51am
Looks like a 16mp K-r ... I wonder if there will be an EVF version with more ISO, FPS etc ... Like a 'K-05' in 6 months time ??

knumbnutz
03-02-2012, 6:28pm
Awesome cam. Same sensor as the K5 and designed by an Australian none the less !
How good is that !

knumbnutz
03-02-2012, 6:41pm
http://c758710.r10.cf2.rackcdn.com/img/press_images/1328188089_K01_B&Y_f_large.jpg

http://c758710.r10.cf2.rackcdn.com/img/press_images/1328188089_K01_B&Y_flash_large.jpg

New DA40 ultra Pancake
http://c758710.r10.cf2.rackcdn.com/img/press_images/1328185594_DA_40mm_F28_XL_Vertical_large.jpg

kyteflyer
06-02-2012, 4:32pm
I'm seriously unimpressed. The designer, Australian or not, has his head someplace I don't want to think about. Its a box, with a lens option. Its hardly smaller than the K-5 (may even be thicker) and those two extremely festive buttons look like they belong on a 2 year old's toy. I hope it works brilliantly because the look absolutely sucks. I'll be sticking with my K-5 for the forseeable, unless I make a complete switch to another brand (no, not Canikon!), or unless Pentax released more DSLRs which are too tempting to pass up. Nothing about the K-01 tempts me in the slightest.

pixy
06-02-2012, 6:00pm
the K-01 ,according to some sites is not a replacement for the Kr or K5 it is a step above the Q,it is getting better reviews now that people realise what it is,it is to compete with top end point and shoot,it won`t compete it will blow them away.

I am surprised with the negativity from togs who will not buy one,it is a point and shoot,there will be more cameras in the pipeline to satisfy the advanced amateurs or pros.

Jack

kyteflyer
06-02-2012, 8:45pm
the K-01 ,according to some sites is not a replacement for the Kr or K5 it is a step above the Q,it is getting better reviews now that people realise what it is,it is to compete with top end point and shoot,it won`t compete it will blow them away.

I am surprised with the negativity from togs who will not buy one,it is a point and shoot,there will be more cameras in the pipeline to satisfy the advanced amateurs or pros.

Jack

"tog"? god I hate that word. I'm a photographer. As far as P&S is concerned... go tell those in pentaxforums thats what it is (IOW is is NOT meant to be a point and shoot. Try P&S with a DA300mm attached). Its got an APS sensor, its got an updated PRIME engine, Its going to take all the DA and older lenses. Its WAY ahead of the Q and should not be mentioned in the same breath. Its not a toy. It just LOOKS like one.

pixy
06-02-2012, 11:43pm
kyteflyer,point taken but it is in the price range with the Q, not much more than point and shoot, and with no viewfinder it should be classified as a point and shoot, hence the comparison,it is cheaper than the mirror less inter changeable lens cameras,and can use any K mount lens as has been mentioned before, there are quite a few that can be obtained on Ebay quite cheap, so you don't have to buy a new lenses.

The point and shoot togs if they want to upgrade this would be the ideal choice.

I for one don`t want to be holding a 300mm lens at arms length,that is why small primes or zooms will be the most used in my opinion.

Jack