PDA

View Full Version : Ye Olde Haystacks

stoogest
18-01-2012, 11:12pm
Hi all,

Just thought I'd give the Hobartians a heads-up about a particular sight that only comes up once a year.

If you take the highway out to Cambridge and then take Richmond Road, after about 6.5km (past Meadowbank and through the windy bits) you'll find a farm on the right hand side where every January they cut the hay using traditional techniques that results in dozens of tiny genuine hay stacks (not the rolled up ones you see everywhere these days). Definitely worth a visit, as you can get clear shots from the side of the road near the fence.

Cheers!
Andrew.

Tikira
03-02-2012, 8:51pm
Andrew, Thanks for this. We are down in Tassie at the moment and got some photos of the haystack and the sheaves. We also got to chat with the farmer, who is probably the only one in Tasmania that now knows how to do this.

Wayne & Di

aussie girl
03-02-2012, 9:03pm
any chance of a photo or two???

ameerat42
03-02-2012, 9:16pm
Ye wouldn' be a-talkin' 'bout the sheaves, now would ye? As in "Bringin' in the..."? (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bringing_In_the_Sheaves)

Do they also stack them into ricks?

aussie girl
03-02-2012, 9:57pm
quote"Do they also stack them into ricks? ", of course not, this is Tasmania not New Zulund so they would stack them on RACKS in Tassie:lol::lol::lol:

ameerat42
04-02-2012, 8:56am
aussie girl
(:shh: Don't let Kiwi hear you.)

No, they're definitely ricks, even in Tas. Why do you think it's ricktas instead of racktis?

(Or, is it really Tesmania?):crike::rolleyes:

stoogest
06-02-2012, 7:37am
lol!

Glad you enjoyed it tikira! I got a few photos as well but haven't processed them yet. I'll put them up when done.

Andrew.

MingOfMongo
22-02-2012, 11:12pm
Does anyone know if the haystacks are still there?

stoogest
23-02-2012, 12:03am
Not near the fence/road. I can't recall if there are still some further back in the field. They are having an antique farm machinery exhibition there over the weekend so it could be a good chance to get up nice and close, assuming they are still there of course! Could be good for a few shots of the old machinery as well.

Andrew.

stoogest
15-04-2012, 11:46am
Here's a photo (not for critique :D !)