PDA

View Full Version : 60d off camera flash and Hi Sync HELP

Danielle10
15-01-2012, 10:03pm
Ok so im trying to photograph moving water and I want to freeze it and use off camera flash with my 60D and 580 exii.

I want to use a shutter speed of 1/500 but not sure if I can do hi sync wirelessly. is that correct??

arthurking83
15-01-2012, 10:17pm
Does the Canon do native wireless flash, or is this via a third party wireless device?
This may be a question that the external Canon lighting gurus may need to know before they reply.

If you are having issues with doing this, and it's via a thirdparty device, the brand and model of device is going to be important.

Just a suggestion for while you wait for a correct answer.
Have you set the camera to 1/XXXs FP mode?

Danielle10
15-01-2012, 10:27pm
I'm just using the flash and the camera no third party bit. The 60d can trigger the speed lights wirelessly but It won't let me go above the cameras sync speed of 1/250.

Sorry what's fp?

arthurking83
15-01-2012, 10:44pm
Sorry maybe Nikonspeak.

Hi speed sync mode.
( I'm not 100% sure but I think the FP stands for Focal Plane :confused013 .. dunno, I'm still a bit of a flash noob myself)

Have you found the menu setting to enable this.

it'd be somewhere in the menu where you set all manner of flash variables.

If you find the option to set sync speed for flash in the camera's menu, it should be there for [Hi Speed] mode as well.
Some manufacturers may limit the sync speed on thirdparty devices, simply for the purpose of facilitating users in making an easier choice when purchasing external flash gear! :rolleyes:

Nikon's using Nikon external flashes work very well with at high speed modes(if the camera is capable of doing so).

MarkChap
15-01-2012, 11:08pm
Danielle, NO, you can't, the onboard or built in wireless controll on Canon will not let you do High Speed Sync.
If you want HSS you will have to have a 580 on camera s the master and a second flash, 580/430 of camera as the slave

arthurking83
15-01-2012, 11:41pm
Aha! finally!

what took you so long :D

anyhow, I just assumed that it was like a Nikon(which does) .. so if it definitely can't do HiSpeed wireless sync, does that mean a third party wireless device is required if a 580EX is too much of an expense?
Do Canon have an equivalent to the Nikon SU800, which is an IR emitting device to signal flash commands wirelessly.

Just tested the D300 with built in flash as commander and SB800 and it does up to 1/8000s without any trouble .. apart from absolute flash power limitations from the SB800.

Shelley
16-01-2012, 12:11pm
I am interested in if I can get hi speed on my studio lights - I have been using my 580 exII with success, but not my studio lights. I am a little frustrated with this.

Shelley
16-01-2012, 12:15pm
Also Danielle, I highly recommend Sly Arena "Speedliter's Handbook" - its specifically aimed at canon speedlights. I have learn't so much from this book.

Danielle10
16-01-2012, 1:11pm
Danielle, NO, you can't, the onboard or built in wireless controll on Canon will not let you do High Speed Sync.
If you want HSS you will have to have a 580 on camera s the master and a second flash, 580/430 of camera as the slave

Thanks mark figured as much, just wanted to check if it's something I was doing wrong.

Bloody Nikon Arthur :)

Danielle10
16-01-2012, 1:12pm
Also Danielle, I highly recommend Sly Arena "Speedliter's Handbook" - its specifically aimed at canon speedlights. I have learn't so much from this book.

Sounds great Shelley, cheers

MarkChap
16-01-2012, 1:25pm

Shelley, you won't/can't get HSS with your studio lights

Sent from my GT-P1000T using Tapatalk

MarkChap
16-01-2012, 1:28pm
Yes Arthur Canon have the ST-E2, but it is an over priced piece of jun equipment, and I don't think it allows HSS either

Sent from my GT-P1000T using Tapatalk

Shelley
16-01-2012, 8:07pm
Thanks Mark and that is one of the reasons Sly Arena stays with speed lights - high speed, which you cannot get with studio lights. I watched a great two hour presentation by him on YouTube.

MarkChap
16-01-2012, 8:12pm
Thanks Mark and that is one of the reasons Sly Arena stays with speed lights - high speed, which you cannot get with studio lights. I watched a great two hour presentation by him on YouTube.

And the link to that is ?

unistudent1962
16-01-2012, 8:27pm
I want to use a shutter speed of 1/500 but not sure if I can do hi sync wirelessly. is that correct??

High speed sync on the 60D is up to 1/250, you won't get it to do 1/500, wireless or otherwise.
It's the duration of the flash that'll freeze the water anyway, not the shutter speed.

MarkChap
16-01-2012, 8:39pm
High speed sync on the 60D is up to 1/250, you won't get it to do 1/500, wireless or otherwise.
It's the duration of the flash that'll freeze the water anyway, not the shutter speed.

Yeah, um, no, you can get HSS up to 1/8000 of a sec on a Canon, with a 580 or a 430 on cmaera, or with a 580 on camera as a master you can then control either a 580 or a 430 off camera remotly at upto 1/8000 of a sec HSS

Shelley
16-01-2012, 9:55pm
Sorry Mark - the link is here and its presented by B&H

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hk7IRg1ApGE&feature=youtu.be

I have been practising a lot of flash control, referring to Sly's books and I watched this today - I now understand flashes how canon works. It helped that I had some prior knowledge of the flashes - he really is a good speaker.

Shelley
16-01-2012, 10:00pm

On your speedlight you select hi-speed (zoom button on the 580exII or on camera menu shutter sync - select hi speed - you then can use shutterspeeds higher than the usual speed light restrictions eg. 1/250 on the 60d. As Mark said re: shutter speed. Its brilliant for controlling light outside - something I am practising.

MarkChap
16-01-2012, 10:14pm
On your speedlight you select hi-speed (zoom button on the 580exII or on camera menu shutter sync - select hi speed - you then can use shutterspeeds higher than the usual speed light restrictions eg. 1/250 on the 60d. As Mark said re: shutter speed. Its brilliant for controlling light outside - something I am practising.

Actually Shelley the HSS button is the 3rd button from the left, it allows you to choose either HSS or second curtain sync (which is only active at less than 1/30), the zoom button doubles up as the wireless funtion button, to turn wireless on and off

Shelley
16-01-2012, 10:21pm
:), oops your right - sorry about that - I think I will be using camera menu mostly as Sly showed this in his presentation - its pretty good.

Forgot to say still "in training".

Tjfrnds
20-01-2012, 1:43am
Sorry Mark - the link is here and its presented by B&H

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hk7IRg1ApGE&feature=youtu.be

Off topic, but here's another of Syl's presentations I found interesting http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OjzbfhbIFd8&feature=relmfu.. I think this was from the same day as his multiple flashes talk.