PDA

View Full Version : Photoshop advice

andreahoney
14-01-2012, 8:10pm
I am looking to upgrade my photoshop but not sure where to go.
All the shops seem to have photoshop elements 10 as the new version.
I see on here a lot of people use cs3 or cs5.
Any advice would be appreciated.

ricktas
14-01-2012, 8:22pm
Photoshop CS5 is the current version, expect to pay around $1000.00.

Download a 30 days trial from Abobe and give it a test run, then you will know of Elements of Photoshop is for you. Elements offers most of the functionality of Photoshop at a more consumer based price. Photoshop is designed as a professional tool.

fillum
14-01-2012, 8:23pm
Hi Andrea, what is your reason for the upgrade, are there specific capabilities you are looking for?

(I've found that by using either Lightroom or Capture NX2 for raw conversion and the majority of processing that I've been able make do with Elements version 4 :eek:).

Cheers.

Kerrie
14-01-2012, 8:48pm
If you are a student......cs5 is around $200.00.

Im yet to upgrade to decent software and this post in very helpful, so thanks for asking too.

cupic
14-01-2012, 11:18pm
CS5 and LR3 on student discount is a symphony in the making,goes hand in hand

cheers

Ezookiel
15-01-2012, 7:02am
Officeworks had CS5 at $189
Surely you must know someone that is a teacher or student that might help you get it. It's so much cheaper than the full price version.

andreahoney
17-01-2012, 7:55pm
Thanks everyone.
The only reason i want to upgrade is I often do tutorials on the net and most of them are for the later versions.
Can not find a great deal for photoshop 7.
Whats the deal with getting cs5 cheaper if you are a student or teacher?

Ezookiel
17-01-2012, 8:47pm
For me it was a case of buying it at Officeworks, then when you install it, it installs as a 30 day trial while you send proof of teacher/student status to Adobe. A couple of days later you get an email with the serial number that turns it from a 30 day trial to a full version. It doesn't even have to be the same name as yours. I bought it in my name, with my wife's credit card, for my daughter with her ID, and that didn't cause even a ripple with Adobe despite 3 different names being used in the process. I actually contacted them ahead of buying it just to make sure that wouldn't be a problem. Proof of eligibility is: http://www.adobe.com/education/student-eligibility-guide.edu.html

Proof of eligibility (http://www.adobe.com/education/student-eligibility-guide.edu.html#) Your proof of eligibility must be a document issued by the institution with your name, institution name, and current date.** Types of proof of enrollment include:

School ID card
Report card
Transcript
Tuition bill or statement

For homeschooled students:

Dated copy of a letter of intent to homeschool**
Current membership ID to a homeschool association (for example, the Home School Legal Defense Association)**
Dated proof of purchase of curriculum for the current academic school year**

These are the requirements: Students You must provide official, current proof of enrollment in one of the following:

Accredited* public or private primary or secondary school providing full-time instruction
Accredited* higher education institution that grants degrees requiring not less than the equivalent of two years of full-time study
Homeschool — as defined by state homeschooling regulations

Teachers, faculty, and staff you must provide official, current proof that you are employed by one of the following:

Accredited* primary or secondary school
Accredited* public or private university or college
School district or board of education (including emeritus status professors)
Homeschool — as defined by state homeschooling regulations

andreahoney
29-01-2012, 1:14pm
awesome thanks. How much cheaper is it to go that way. I have a daughter in high school so thinking this might be the cheaper option.

bowjac
29-01-2012, 1:35pm
awesome thanks. How much cheaper is it to go that way. I have a daughter in high school so thinking this might be the cheaper option.

The student version is about 80% off, at around $175 at some outlets.
I have bought my last couple this way, based on my kids being at high school. No problems, and perfectly legit. I think the only real limitation is that you should not be making any money out of it. If you are, buy the full version.