PDA

View Full Version : Just obtained a superb condition 500 f4 VR!

Lance B
14-01-2012, 4:06pm
I have been hoping to get a 500 f4 VR for quite a while now and I was lucky enough that a friend (met through Sar) decided to sell his off as he was getting a little too old to use it any more, he is 83!! It is in superb condition, just needed a wipe down and I got it for a real bargain price. :-)

It is a superb lens, amazingly sharp even wide open and it is almost criminal the amount of cropping you can do and still have super sharp images.

Here are a few first samples. All monopod, except the dalmatian photo which is handheld.

The photo below was from a previous outing with the previous owner when he let me borrow it to see if I would like it. LOL. Are you kidding? I may have posted it in a previous thread, but thought it worht reposting for this thread.

Model NIKON D7000
Flash Used No
Focal Length 500 mm
Exposure Time 1/500 sec
Aperture f/8
ISO Equivalent 500

http://www.pbase.com/lance_b/image/138931965/original.jpg

My first shots as the new owner. The first is quite heavily cropped as I was about 10 metres away from the bird as he wouldn't let me get closer than this. I think he has caught his next week dinner looking at the size of that worm!

Model NIKON D7000
Flash Used No
Focal Length 500 mm
Exposure Time 1/500 sec
Aperture f/5.6
ISO Equivalent 1250

http://www.pbase.com/lance_b/image/140887086/original.jpg

Model NIKON D7000
Flash Used No
Focal Length 500 mm
Exposure Time 1/500 sec
Aperture f/8
ISO Equivalent 720

http://www.pbase.com/lance_b/image/140887087/original.jpg

Model NIKON D7000
Flash Used No
Focal Length 500 mm
Exposure Time 1/500 sec
Aperture f/6.3
ISO Equivalent 2500

http://www.pbase.com/lance_b/image/140887090/original.jpg

My favourite test subject, our dalmatian.

THIS IS WIDE OPEN AT F4!!

Model NIKON D700
Flash Used No
Focal Length 500 mm
Exposure Time 1/640 sec
Aperture f/4
ISO Equivalent 200

http://www.pbase.com/lance_b/image/140900591/original.jpg

Crop of above:

http://www.pbase.com/lance_b/image/140901397/original.jpg

ricktas
14-01-2012, 4:12pm
Stunning. I can see this lens become 'glued' to the body...hehe

Lance B
14-01-2012, 5:42pm

LOL. Thanks, Rick.

I must say that being a part of Ausphotography has been a wonderful way to meet good people both on-line and also face to face for mutual benefits of learning, camaraderie and possible gear acquisition and sales. This has many advantages both ways as I have been able to help others, which I really find really most satisifying, and also a few have assisted me greatly both in my photography and abtaining or selling gear. Obviously, getting this lens was part of that benefit for me, albeit through Sar as the person I bought it off is not a member.

gary
14-01-2012, 6:15pm
Congrats on the purchase of the lens Lance looks like a great new toy.
That photo of your dalmatian is amazing, that is very sharp.

WhoDo
14-01-2012, 6:17pm
So, Lance, does this mean that the Nikkor 300 ED f/2.8 and TC's are similarly up for sale at a "real bargain price"??? Hmmm???? :D

Lance B
14-01-2012, 6:18pm
Congrats on the purchase of the lens Lance looks like a great new toy.
That photo of your dalmatian is amazing, that is very sharp.

Thanbk you very much, Gary! :)

Yes, the results form this lens WIDE OPEN as in the dog pic, even amazes me!

Lance B
14-01-2012, 6:22pm
So, Lance, does this mean that the Nikkor 300 ED f/2.8 and TC's are up for sale at a similarly "reasonable price"??? Hmmm???? :D

LOL. Hmm, that is a tough question, Waz. The 300 f2.8 is such a beautiful lens that I would find it almost impossible to part with it. It is compact enough for hand held shooting and reasonably easy to carry around with my other gear, so it is almost easy to just take along on a normal days shooting. You don't realise just how "compact" it is compared to the 500 f4!!

However, you never know, the realities of life and lack of funds may just come into play! :o

WhoDo
14-01-2012, 6:32pm
... you never know, the realities of life and lack of funds may just come into play! :o
Ok, well just remember asking first gives me "dibs"! :p I've seen what you've achieved with the 300 f/2.8 and TC's so let me know if the financial pressure forces some hard choices, eh? ;)

PS: Can't imagine anyone who will get better use out of the 500 f/4 VR than you, Lance. Congrats on finding an elderly photographer with great instincts to pass on his baby!

Lance B
14-01-2012, 6:33pm
Ok, well just remember asking first gives me "dibs"! :p I've seen what you've achieved with the 300 f/2.8 and TC's so let me know if the financial pressure forces some hard choices, eh? ;)

No problems, mate. You'll be first on the list. Thanks for the kind comments, too. :)

old dog
14-01-2012, 8:01pm
envy, lens lust, NAS, yadda yadda......have crept upon me Lance.......sorry...:(. nAh....good for you, glad you have it and are enjoying same.

Darey
14-01-2012, 8:15pm
Congratulations Lance,
Nice to see such a good lens go to someone that appreciates it and can use it to the max.
I'm looking forward to seeing some more of your shots from it.
P.S. Your series above is stunning. :th3:

cupic
14-01-2012, 9:57pm
If the original owner was 83 to sell it you have a long way to catch up to his mark.BTW those images are clear crisp and clean ,cant wait till you
provide some with the 2X TC and show off your manual skills :D TFS

cheers

Lance B
14-01-2012, 10:05pm
envy, lens lust, NAS, yadda yadda......have crept upon me Lance.......sorry...:(. nAh....good for you, glad you have it and are enjoying same.

Cheers, Graeme! :)

Lance B
14-01-2012, 10:06pm
Congratulations Lance,
Nice to see such a good lens go to someone that appreciates it and can use it to the max.
I'm looking forward to seeing some more of your shots from it.
P.S. Your series above is stunning. :th3:

Hey Darey, thanks for the lovely comments, mate. much apppreciated! :)

Lance B
14-01-2012, 10:07pm
If the original owner was 83 to sell it you have a long way to catch up to his mark.BTW those images are clear crisp and clean ,cant wait till you
provide some with the 2X TC and show off your manual skills :D TFS

cheers

Thanks for the kind comments, mate. I am still amazed at the original owner being 83 and still very spritely! :)

Art Vandelay
14-01-2012, 10:42pm
Great stuff Lance. You were posting top notch images with the 300 & teleconverters, Look forward to seeing more from this baby as well in the future.

Lance B
14-01-2012, 10:46pm
Great stuff Lance. You were posting top notch images with the 300 & teleconverters, Look forward to seeing more from this baby as well in the future.

Thank you for the kind comments, mate! :-)

knumbnutz
14-01-2012, 11:04pm
Sorry Lance,
The lens is too sharp, especially the eye goob on the dal :D
Look forward to seeing your next zoo visit in pics.
Excellent pickup, I'm sure you'll get some good use out of it.
Cheers Neil

Lance B
14-01-2012, 11:11pm
Sorry Lance,
The lens is too sharp, especially the eye goob on the dal :D
Look forward to seeing your next zoo visit in pics.
Excellent pickup, I'm sure you'll get some good use out of it.
Cheers Neil

Thanks for the kind comments, Neil. :)

When are you coming down to Sydney and we can both head off to the zoo, my treat? :)

helmutk
14-01-2012, 11:34pm
Congrats on your purchase Lance amazingly sharp images great stuff !!!!!!!!!!!:th3:

crafty1tutu
15-01-2012, 12:28am
Wow, amazing photos - what a lens (and photographer).

salnel
15-01-2012, 12:47am
Wow...lucky you, Lance. That is an amazing lens!!! Wonderful shots..I love your dog and the worm is terrific!!!
Hey, how come Waz is first in the list:lol:

Kerro
15-01-2012, 12:54am
Awesome shots Lance with and equally awesome lens.
I know how you feel, I love my Canon 400mm f2.8.
Sharp as shots with it.

Lance B
15-01-2012, 1:13am
Congrats on your purchase Lance amazingly sharp images great stuff !!!!!!!!!!!:th3:

Thank you very much, Helmut! :)

Lance B
15-01-2012, 1:14am
Wow, amazing photos - what a lens (and photographer).

Thank you and you are too kind! :)

Lance B
15-01-2012, 1:15am
Wow...lucky you, Lance. That is an amazing lens!!! Wonderful shots..I love your dog and the worm is terrific!!!

Thank you very much, Sally. :)

Hey, how come Waz is first in the list:lol:

You've already got a great 300! ;)

Lance B
15-01-2012, 1:16am
Awesome shots Lance with and equally awesome lens.

Thank you very much, Kerro! :)

I know how you feel, I love my Canon 400mm f2.8.
Sharp as shots with it.

There is nothing like these big guns from Canon and Nikon! :)

I @ M
15-01-2012, 11:04am
Looking very very good Lance. :th3: Certainly a bit of gear to be envious about.

Easy solution, just buy a dedicated body to "hang" on the end of the lens. After all, with all the new bodies released / about to be released there will be some bargains to be had with superceded models.

Just give the credit card a quick cut and polish. :D

Lance B
15-01-2012, 1:17pm
Looking very very good Lance. :th3: Certainly a bit of gear to be envious about.

Thank you very much, Andrew! :)

Easy solution, just buy a dedicated body to "hang" on the end of the lens. After all, with all the new bodies released / about to be released there will be some bargains to be had with superceded models.

Just give the credit card a quick cut and polish. :D

LOL. I am maxxed out already, mate. :o

Analog6
15-01-2012, 1:20pm
Looks like you have a real 'good 'un' there Lance. Got to be happy with the quality and clarity of those shots.

Lance B
15-01-2012, 1:22pm
Looks like you have a real 'good 'un' there Lance. Got to be happy with the quality and clarity of those shots.

Thank you very much, Odille! :)

Allie
15-01-2012, 5:48pm

I have to agree with this statement. I am sure the previous owner is happy that someone of your calibre now has this lens. The New Holland Honeyeater and the closeup of your Dalmatian are my favourites of this group but they are only my preferences as the others are also excellent examples of the lens quality! :th3:

Lance B
15-01-2012, 5:49pm
I have to agree with this statement. I am sure the previous owner is happy that someone of your calibre now has this lens. The New Holland Honeyeater and the closeup of your Dalmatian are my favourites of this group but they are only my preferences as the others are also excellent examples of the lens quality! :th3:

Thank you for the kind words and lovely comments, Allie! :)

mongo
15-01-2012, 6:37pm
congrats Lance. The images are as great as Mongo would have expected.

Lucky you saw it first. Mongo has been looking for one of these for a good price for some time and would have snapped it up if you hadn’t. Mongo thinks he hates you but rather remain friends just so he can see it now and then :D :lol:

PS - would love to know how this does with converters ???? Try the modern ones you already have and then , when Mongo sees you next, he can offer a 301 X2 converter and vivitar macro X2 converter you can also try if you wish.

knumbnutz
15-01-2012, 8:56pm
I'll be in Sydney this week till thurs but unfortunately for business only.

But next time i go, i'll make sure i have some extra days up my sleeve and we'll tee up some time. !!!

I would really look forward to that.

Cheers Neil

Thanks for the kind comments, Neil. :)

When are you coming down to Sydney and we can both head off to the zoo, my treat? :)

Lance B
15-01-2012, 9:31pm
congrats Lance. The images are as great as Mongo would have expected.

Thank you very much, Mongo! :)

Lucky you saw it first. Mongo has been looking for one of these for a good price for some time and would have snapped it up if you hadn’t. Mongo thinks he hates you but rather remain friends just so he can see it now and then :D :lol:

Of course! I am going to go to the zoo very soom to try it out and I'd love for you (and your better half if she wants to come along) to join me. I can use my Guest pass for one of you.

[quote]PS - would love to know how this does with converters ???? Try the modern ones you already have and then , when Mongo sees you next, he can offer a 301 X2 converter and vivitar macro X2 converter you can also try if you wish.

Apparently it works brilliantly with all 3 TC's. Sar showed me a shot with the 2x TCIII and it didn't look any worse than without!! Bring yours to the zoo and we'll have a play. :)

Lance B
15-01-2012, 9:32pm
I'll be in Sydney this week till thurs but unfortunately for business only.

But next time i go, i'll make sure i have some extra days up my sleeve and we'll tee up some time. !!!

I would really look forward to that.

Cheers Neil

That'd be great, Neil. I look forward to our meeting up one day. :)

Wayne
16-01-2012, 4:24am
Congratulations mate and welcome to the super-tele club. I am just waiting to see it on the D7000 with 2xTCIII = 1500mm!!
Will it still AF on the D700/7000 @ f/8?? (with the TC's I mean)

This is a lens you will no doubt own for some time to come, I know I love my 400/2.8VR and will probably own it as long as I own a Nikon F-Mount body and still shoot pics. I think you may find it a bit more challenging on a full day at the zoo, esp if you don't take a mono.

I'm wondering if you are now considering a Wimberley or other Gimbal, I know I have been for a while because even on the mono, moving the 400 around chasing birds overhead etc isn't easy..

Sar NOP
16-01-2012, 12:22pm
PS - would love to know how this does with converters ???? Try the modern ones you already have and then , when Mongo sees you next, he can offer a 301 X2 converter and vivitar macro X2 converter you can also try if you wish.
[/FONT]

Hello Mongo,
Not sure if you can mount a 301 X2 on the 500/4 VR. Otherwise it will be MF only.
I have used this 500 VR many many times, with and without TCs, and I can tell it works well with the TC-14EII, TC-17EII, TC-20EIII and Kenko 2x.
So far, I haven't tried stacked converters on it yet. Maybe one day Lance will let me do it, just for fun ! :D

Have a look at this combo D7000+500 VR+TC-20EIII, shot handheld and wide open : http://img337.imageshack.us/img337/3384/7ka9728.jpg

Shelley
16-01-2012, 12:41pm
What a great acquisition Lance. Congrats on getting such a fine lens and I know you will put it to good use.

Lance B
16-01-2012, 1:33pm
Congratulations mate and welcome to the super-tele club. I am just waiting to see it on the D7000 with 2xTCIII = 1500mm!!
Will it still AF on the D700/7000 @ f/8?? (with the TC's I mean)

Thanks for the nice wishes, Wayne!

Apparently the 2x TCIII works very well on the 500 f4, as Sar has sent me a sample pic that he took using this very same lens (as he knows the guy I bought it off) and it is as sharp and clear as if the TC wasn't even used! However, Sar has brilliant technique!

I will be giving it a try one day to see how well it works. :)

This is a lens you will no doubt own for some time to come, I know I love my 400/2.8VR and will probably own it as long as I own a Nikon F-Mount body and still shoot pics. I think you may find it a bit more challenging on a full day at the zoo, esp if you don't take a mono.

Like the 400, they are really in the real pro grade and they have IQ to match (as does the 300 f2.8). But, they are big and heavy and require support for any length of time. I will usually take my mono with me if I have thoughts of using the 500 f4.

I'm wondering if you are now considering a Wimberley or other Gimbal, I know I have been for a while because even on the mono, moving the 400 around chasing birds overhead etc isn't easy..

I have a Benro Gimbal head which I will use at some stage, but have not tried it in anger yet. Chasing birds with a tripod and Gimbal head is well, for the birds! I'd rather use a monopod, but will probably end up having to use it for some subject matter. Sar uses one of those heads that is like a swing and swivel system and he gets remarkable results.

mongo
16-01-2012, 2:00pm
Hello Mongo,
Not sure if you can mount a 301 X2 on the 500/4 VR. Otherwise it will be MF only.

quite right Sar. Mongo mistakenly read it as the manual "P" lens rather than the more modern "VR". In fact, the 301 would not work at all on the VR nor would you want to use it if you have a more modern converters.

ving
16-01-2012, 4:01pm
not jealous... not jealous....

congrats on the purchase :)

Lance B
16-01-2012, 6:51pm
not jealous... not jealous....

congrats on the purchase :)

Thank you very much! :)

Wayne
17-01-2012, 9:35am
I have a Benro Gimbal head which I will use at some stage, but have not tried it in anger yet. Chasing birds with a tripod and Gimbal head is well, for the birds! I'd rather use a monopod, but will probably end up having to use it for some subject matter. Sar uses one of those heads that is like a swing and swivel system and he gets remarkable results.

Do you mean a Wimberley head? That is a swing type head that basically makes the lens weightless, and it is what I was referring to above ;)

Lance B
17-01-2012, 1:31pm
Do you mean a Wimberley head?

Possibly, although when I did a web search I couldn't find it.

That is a swing type head that basically makes the lens weightless, and it is what I was referring to above ;)

Sounds like it as Sar's version certainly makes the lens feel weightless. :)

petersimages
20-01-2012, 7:55pm
Wonderful. It may be expensive and heavy. But the contrast, color and sharpness is on another level with your excellent prime lens. The images verify this! :) :th3:

Wayne
20-01-2012, 8:10pm
Possibly, although when I did a web search I couldn't find it.

Sounds like it as Sar's version certainly makes the lens feel weightless. :)
Like this one mate;

http://www.tripodhead.com/products/wimberley-main.cfm

vharperv
09-02-2012, 9:56pm
Well you just paid the trump card these are brilliant and my favourite little variegated wren as well. just love your work mate. i hate to think what that lens would cost new.
vera

Lance B
09-02-2012, 10:19pm
Wonderful. It may be expensive and heavy. But the contrast, color and sharpness is on another level with your excellent prime lens. The images verify this! :) :th3:

Thank you very much, Peter. :)

I am sorry for the late reply to your kind comment, but I missed your post.

Lance B
09-02-2012, 10:22pm
Like this one mate;

http://www.tripodhead.com/products/wimberley-main.cfm

Very sorry for the late reply, Wayne.

Thank you for posting the info, which is very helpful. This is not the type that Sar uses, but it is similar top the Benro version that I have but haven't used it with the 500 f4 VR, yet.

Lance B
09-02-2012, 10:23pm
Well you just paid the trump card these are brilliant and my favourite little variegated wren as well. just love your work mate. i hate to think what that lens would cost new.
vera

Hi Vera. Thank you for the nice comments. :)

I see we can also converse on Ausphotography as well as on PBase. :)

cupic
10-02-2012, 12:09am
I can visualize that D800e with this missile sadly if your lucky the Nikon will be lucky to reach these shores by Xmas :(
Unless you spring for a O/S junket :)

cheers

Lance B
11-02-2012, 7:05pm
I can visualize that D800e with this missile sadly if your lucky the Nikon will be lucky to reach these shores by Xmas :(
Unless you spring for a O/S junket :)

cheers

My D800 is on order and hopefully is to be here in March. :)

richardb
12-02-2012, 5:37am
But........no pict of the tele on a tripod and ur cam fixed to it....????
we r anxiously waiting for it. Show it to us.
:lol2:

Lance B
12-02-2012, 12:53pm
But........no pict of the tele on a tripod and ur cam fixed to it....????
we r anxiously waiting for it. Show it to us.
:lol2:

I shall attempt to post one up for all to see soon. :)