PDA

View Full Version : first wedding...any tips?

Tarryn
14-01-2012, 2:41pm
hi guys,

i have a lovely lady willing to let me take her wedding shots. its a country style wedding at Mt Bundy Station in the northern territory, about 50 mins drive from darwin.

this is my first wedding and i am wondering if theres any tips on prep and posing that you can offer. if theres any blogs or handy youtube videos to check out. she has seen my earlier portrait work and she liked those. i am meeting with her next week to discuss what ideas she has in mind, what look she wants, and to discuss group photos etc. also making a trip out to the station soon to have a sticky beak. the wedding is at 4pm so the soft lighting of the sun and sunset will work in my favour im hoping!

thanks in advance

T :)

ricktas
14-01-2012, 2:51pm
Get two bodies. Extra Batteries, flash units. Lots of Memory cards and public liability insurance. If Uncle Alfred trips over your camera bag or tripod an breaks his leg, guess who might get sued.

Longshots
14-01-2012, 9:39pm
this is in the "new to photography". If you're "new to photography", are you confident enough to shoot something thats a one off ?

And my tip - dont do it - unless you have some proper experience with at the very least accompaning a paid photographer, and taking pictures as a second shooter.

KeeFy
15-01-2012, 12:00am
I agree with longshots. It's not as easy as you think. IMO event photography is one of the harder aspects and there is a real need for 2 cameras with 2 different focal lengths. In the event that it's a indoor shoot, strobes and fast lenses as well.

A Zed
25-01-2012, 9:45pm
just do it, relax have some ideas on what you want.
definitely backups and two cameras on the go if you can with two different length lenses.

Too many people tell "noobs" not to undertake weddings unless they have backed others up blah blah, sometimes I think its to prevent there being more competition.
Just make sure they have the correct expectations of your work. and do your best. It worked for me.

ricktas
25-01-2012, 9:58pm
just do it, relax have some ideas on what you want.
definitely backups and two cameras on the go if you can with two different length lenses.

Too many people tell "noobs" not to undertake weddings unless they have backed others up blah blah, sometimes I think its to prevent there being more competition.
Just make sure they have the correct expectations of your work. and do your best. It worked for me.

It is not to prevent more competition, it is often said to 'protect' the person wanting to shoot the wedding with less experience than is needed. A wedding is often the third most expensive event (buying a house, and raising children out rate it) that most couples will ever invest in. It is also a once in a lifetime event (for some), thus it is a VERY BIG DEAL for most couples. The last thing you want is an unhappy couple cause they are not happy with the quality of the photos..and finding yourself in court.

Most photographers advise newbies to avoid taking on a Wedding, till the have the skills, gear, insurance and confidence to do it, cause the result of not doing it properly can be devastating.

If, after getting all the advice from threads like this, they go ahead and want to do it, all the very best to them for doing so, but going into any contract (even a verbal one) without a full understanding of what you are in for, is not the best way to go.

William W
25-01-2012, 10:40pm
Indeed.

As already noted, the Original Post was made in ”new to photography” section of this forum.

What is of moderate concern to me, is the Original Poster has not asked any follow up questions – at least not here.

This is a typical (and unfortunate) progression of events: whilst some (as indicated by post #5) might make a great landing, that’s great: but if that is the only experience from which the commentary is substantiated, then that is poor analysis.

The OP might consider that other commentators who have shot, maybe about 1500 Weddings, have seen more and perhaps and seen the hurt and the anger of disgruntled Brides and Grooms and the shame of the ill-prepared: and the total cost of it all.

WW

NikonPaul
06-02-2012, 11:42pm
I only did it once - my best mates church wedding as he wanted to save some money. That was way back in 1972 and I used a Prinzflex SLR (anyone remember that one?) with a standard lens and an electronic flash the name of which I've forgotten. I read up on a couple of relevant books for the various poses and went armed with a dozen rolls of film. The only backup I had was a changing bag in case things went pear-shaped. It was a scary experience but all went well and they are still married today!
Wouldn't fancy doing it for a stranger though.

darkbhudda
10-02-2012, 11:05am
This guy blogs about wedding photography as well as other subjects: http://neilvn.com/tangents/