PDA

View Full Version : Off To The Cricket Carnival

cupic
12-01-2012, 5:38pm
I will shortly be off to a Cricket Carnival @ Orange, added to this Im not quite certain due to distance from the action
as to what lenses will be effective .

I have the D300 with maybe the effective 70-200 VR f/2.8 or 300mm f/4 with a 1.4 TC attached.I am
trying to pack as I don't want/need everything ,trying to get some sightseeing as well.To which I'll being a 18-105 Kit lenses with this.

I believe that the playing oval would be over 50m distance would it be better to have a fixed 300mm or the 70-200 .Im not too sure whether the Kenko DGX 1.4tc would suit the 70-200
as well as it works on the 300mm f/4
Thoughts experience anyone
I do hope 24gb of CF cards are enough :D

cheers

cupic
14-01-2012, 2:18pm
Thanks for the heads up :(

fillum
14-01-2012, 7:51pm
A bit to cover here Cupic...I hope not too late!

Firstly, I use a Kenko 1.4 TC which I think is a Pro 300 DG and it works well with the 70-200 VR (1st version) on my D300. (Some examples here (http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/showthread.php?89421-Doggies-v-Hawks-Season-Finale-%288-pics%29) and here (http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/showthread.php?88040-Footy-Doggies-v-Doggies-%287-pics%29) - note some of these are fairly heavy crops). I assume the DGX is a later version of the TC so would assume that it would work as well, although have no experience with it.

I haven't shot cricket, but I think you will probably need the 300mm + the 1.4 TC if you want to fill the frame with players in the centre of the oval (batsman / bowler, etc). Although having said that, the 70-200 on the D300 gives a fair bit of scope to crop if you get a sharp, well-exposed image. To give you an indication of coverage, the uncropped shot below is at 200mm on the D300 from around 30 metres. (I'd expect to be able to crop this just above and below the batter to get a usable web image, say 800px high).

You might be able to pull up the oval on Google Maps to get an idea of the distance you'll need to cover?

To get an idea of the storage requirements you could work out the number of balls per game (e.g. 50-over match) and allow maybe a 3-shot burst for each delivery and multiply by the filesize for the format you are shooting (raw / jpeg). Although if nothing happens on the delivery ('through to the keeper') you could delete those before the next delivery, or alternatively have a quick review and delete at the end of each over.

Not sure if you advice on settings, etc - just let us know if you do...

Hope this helps a bit...

Cheers.

cupic
14-01-2012, 8:50pm
Well I was thinking of using the 300 over the 70-200 for only the extra distance and at over 50mts Its likely to get the nod

thanks for the input

cheers