PDA

View Full Version : Sigma APO 2x EF DG Teleconverter and Sigma 150 - 500mm lens together?

NikonNellie
09-01-2012, 9:46pm
I was just wondering if anybody has used the Sigma 2x Teleconverter and the Sigma 150 - 500mm lens together? I am wanting to do some more birding but would like to extend the focal length and as I already have the Sigma lens I was thinking of purchasing the dedicated teleconverter. I understand that I will lose about 2 - f/stops of light and that I will have to manually focus.

Would love to hear any comments you may have about this combination. Thanks

philiph
10-01-2012, 12:24pm
Hi NikonNellie, I have a teleconverter for the Sigma (Canon camera), mainly for birding but find I don't use it much; not for any particular reason. I find the birds I am usually chasing are small wrens so with limited light it does end up a compromise between quality/light/speed/DoF. I wouldn't say don't get one though as they are relatively in-expensive and it is nice to know you have it "just in case". I don't find the manual focusing an issue.

NikonNellie
10-01-2012, 1:48pm
Thanks for your unput Phil. I found a good price from one of the site advertisers, so I bit the bullet and bought one. As you say relatively inexpensive.

geoffsta
10-01-2012, 2:02pm
Let me know how you get on Narelle. I was thinking about one of these myself.

Speedway
10-01-2012, 2:23pm
I would be interested in seeing the results too. Also as I am thinking of getting the canon 70-200 is + 2X series iii extender and wonder if this would work on the sigma 150-500 as well.
Keith.

NikonNellie
11-01-2012, 11:27pm
I will post up some images when I receive it guys. I am off to the zoo on Friday with my son so I am hoping it arrives by then. :crossed:

geoffsta
20-01-2012, 6:10pm
Hello Narelle.
Has it arrived yet? If so have you tested it.
Just bought a Sigma 120-300mm f/2.4 OS lens with a Sigma 2X converter.

Wildlife
20-02-2012, 6:14pm
Geoffsta
Certainly would like to hear more about your new Sigma 120 to 300mm f2.8 OS and the results from pictures you have taken. May I ask what made you selectthis lens? I have looked at this lens myself as an option to get a 300mm f2.8 system. However there is little written about it other than it weight.
Regards

Tamtarn
13-06-2012, 11:09pm
I will post up some images when I receive it guys. I am off to the zoo on Friday with my son so I am hoping it arrives by then. :crossed:

Hi NikonNellie

Was just wondering how you find the combination of the Sigma 150-500 and the 2x Teleconverter.
Would love to see some images.

David.

LJG
14-06-2012, 7:03am
I can't say about a x2 converter but I have a x1.4 Kenko Pro300 DGX. It is quite fickle with auto focus, you have to be in good light with plenty of contrast. If light and contrast it is not so great you just don't have autofocus at all, it just hunts for focus and won't lock. I seriously would hate to be trying it with a x2 converter because it could be a lot worse. The other issue is I have never been happy with the image quality it produces. At 700mm it is not so great. It is better if the bird fills the frame but this is not the usual case, you are hunting small things at a distance, so when you crop the shot to make the bird larger you lose sharpness and detail. I have never been completely happy with the 150-500 anyway but this makes it noticeably worse. It is OK with my 70-200 and this is the lens I mainly use it with. The other thing is I have only used it with my 5D2. If you are prepared to take a hit with the focus issues and IQ loss I would say go for it.

Here is an example at 700mm of a Jacana and chick. It is not a great shot anyway but it will give you an idea. This is already cropped by half of the size of the original, I was a fair distance away from them.

Speedway
14-06-2012, 8:51am
I dont feel that this is a fair test of the image quality obtainable as the subject is just too far away to expect anything as there are just not enough pixles left after cropping by half and as you say you have only used it on your 5Dii which has some autofocus issues anyway. Your 40D would be a better camera for this type of shot as without the tele convertor it is already the equivelent of 800mm and with the 1.4 would be a wopping 1120mm. I have the Canon 2Xiii extender but it will not go on the Sigma 150-500 due to the weather sealing system I think, it is very tight and I am not prepared to try forceing it on.
Keith.

LJG
14-06-2012, 10:14am
I'd love to use it on my 40D Speedway, but it does not auto focus at all on that body, even in strong sunlight with a good dark contrast to lock on to. It just hunts and won't let you fire. As a person that wears progressive lens glasses it is hard, no, lets say impossible, to look though the viewfinder, use manual focus and actually get it right. The diopter adjustment on Canon bodies does not go far enough for me. Maybe the Nikon is better and autofocus will work, maybe Nikon Nellies eyes are better than mine and manual focus is a breeze for her.

Speedway
14-06-2012, 10:36am
That is the reason I only use single vision glasses and find it impossible to use live view. My 150-500 works fine on my 400D even in fairly low light so I would suggest that there is something wrong with your lens and would get it checked.
Keith.

Tamtarn
14-06-2012, 3:11pm
Thanks for your input guys.
I have a Sigma 120-400 which when coupled to a Tamron F - AF 1.4x tc will auto focus well in good light but hunts around a lot of course in low light.
Sounds like I would need to test out the Sigma 150-500 with the tc before purchasing.

David.