PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else battling the bulge?

Analog6
04-01-2012, 1:26pm
As some of those who have been on meet ups with me will know, I need to lose some weight. Due to old Achilles ankle injuries and subsequent knee injuries, exercise has been hard. And in the last couple of years the fact that carrying anything heavy has been nearly impossible for me, resulting in severe back pain for up to 3 days afterwards.

Back in August my partner Warwick went to the doc and his BP was a bit high and doctor recommended lose some weight and get more exercise. Warwick grew up by the beach so swimming is as natural as breathing to him. After he had been going for a few weeks he suggested I come along. I was initially reluctant but I did go down just for a look and found the pool had kickboards you could use.

So! I am now up to 30 laps (1500m in 75-90 minutes) 3 days a week a mix of kickboard and breast stroke and back stroke. On the other 3 days a week I go I do 20 laps, 300m of walking in the water, and 15 mins of aerobic exercises in the water (jumps, running on the spot etc) – about 60-75 mins. And I feel great. I love walking but my weight gain (I was up to 120kgs on 1August 2011) and troublesome ankles meant just 15 mins of waking left me in so much pain I would hardly move for 3 days. I do all this exercise at the pool and have no pain afterwards. And this type of exercise – I do NOT ‘go for the burn’! – fits in with the Primal lifestyle, which I am aiming to get back to. My Primal Blog (http://primalodille.wordpress.com/)

I have even bought my own pair of flippers – the type that makes your muscles work harder, not the go faster ones – my own kickbooard, googgles and swim shirt. Who’d have thunk it?

I went back and revisited my food/weight loss diary from 2 years ago. In December 2010 (the last recorded measurements) I had the following figures:
date – weight in kgs – bust – waist – hips – upper arm – thigh – base of neck – calf (measurements in cms)
05/12/2010 – 121 kgs – 145 – 130 – 145 – 43 – 71.5 – 47 – 39
01/01/2012 – 112 kgs – 131 – 119 – 136 – 39 – 68.5 – 43 – 39.5
So I have lost 9 kgs and 44.5cm!

UPDATE: Weigh in today at the doctors before the dentist – down another 2kgs!

So I have now lost 10kgs or 8.33% of my body weight. And I do feel fantastic – the swimming is really strengthening my muscles and to be able to do normal things like walk upstairs, go shopping, carry bags etc without knowing I am in for long bouts of back pain is like a miracle. I wish I’d discovered swimming years ago! And I cam now do a full 50m lap of breast stroke and back stroke and 30m of freestyle – all with correct breathing. I’m trying to do a bit more freestyle each week.

So to any of you trying to lose weight I really recommend the pool.

I’m really pleased with the loss of 4cm from the upper arms – I am working hard on them to try and muscle the flabby old things! I don’t mind the calf measurement increasing, I’m doing so much kicking at the pool I reckon they’d have to! And I have dropped a dress size since the August restart (120kgs), plus I can now walk upstairs like a normal person instead of clutching the hand rail for grim death and gasping my way up! And my BP this morning was 124/80 pulse 68 – I’m very happy with those numbers.

But best of all, I can carry the camera bag up and down the steps at home with no effort at all! It has wheels so once I have it at ground level there are problems, but I used to have to wait until Warwick got home to get it up the stairs to the computer/recharge area.

So, I am feeling better and will keep updating this as the more people who know what I am trying to do the more honest it will keep me!

My aim is to lose 20kgs this year, I think that is an achievable goal.

JM Tran
04-01-2012, 1:32pm
swimming is great for a full body work out and toning!

I put on 2kg alone over the Xmas and NY period. Really need to hit the gym harder than ever to tone up as I plan to get fat in HK and Europe next weekend LOL, Michelin Star restaurants are evil!

I really should hit the pool and beach more though instead of the usual gym, soccer training, bike riding and runs with the dogs. Swimming would give me a more comprehensive work out.

but good on ya Odille, keep up the motivation

ving
04-01-2012, 1:34pm
while i dont need it myself my wife and i did the whole swimming thing for a few months and the weight just fell off her. that was just 1 hour for 3-4 times a week.

that said my pants are trying to tell me something after xmas.... :rolleyes:

keep up the good work! its obvioulsy doing wonders for you! :D

Shelley
04-01-2012, 1:42pm
Well done Odille, that is really commendable. Health is so important, you don't realise it until you or someone you love is affected. You have set a realistic goal and from your post, I think you can do it. :th3:

Tikira
04-01-2012, 1:49pm
Great work Odille. :th3: It must feel great to be doing something proactive, and it really will help you when trying to get those shots you want.

Di

gerry
04-01-2012, 1:51pm
Odille, as you have already worked out, teh pool is a great way to get fit and stay fit. It is one of teh most time effective wys to get a good overall workout - one thing to note though, its not that good for getting rid of midriff fat, you really need another excerise that works more on your core muscles to finish the job. Fitness is all about consistency and it looks like you have achieved that, be patient and be religious about teh pool sessions!:th3:

farmer_rob
04-01-2012, 2:51pm
Well done.

I have been dieting before christmas, together with some exercise, and I find it very hard. however, the results are well worth it. Back to the hard graft again now!

You must be very pleased. Obviously the pool work gives you the exercise without the extra strain on the body.

Analog6
04-01-2012, 3:01pm
Thanks everyone. Once I get under 100kgs I can start to walk again, maybe 3 mornings a week, see how I go. I have signed up for a month of Pilates under one of those offers online, I have until March to take it up and the classes are twice a week - so I'll get 8 or 9 lessons for my $19.00. I've always wanted to learn how to do Pilates properly.

Michaela
04-01-2012, 3:15pm
Good for you, Odille. :th3: It's hard work, but so worth it. I've just got stuck back into running on a regular basis now that my motivation to do stuff is coming back, and I'm really looking forward to not being chained to a desk all day after the 20th. It's going to be a great year! :D

agb
04-01-2012, 3:22pm
Great effort.
I heard on the ABC this morning about a bloke who over about 2 years has gone from 120 to 78 I think it was, partly due to putting it out on facebook and getting a lot of support from people. He aims to be 74 kg by April.
Did it with diet and exercise.
http://blogs.abc.net.au/queensland/2012/01/facebook-weight-loss.html?site=brisbane&program=612_breakfast

Mary Anne
04-01-2012, 4:55pm
Odille :wd: I admire what you are doing as I know how hard it is, I also admire that you can write about it I feel that helps too.
Keep up the good work and keep us posted on how you are going..

I have been doing it for 10 weeks now, eating healthy and excising its a 30 minute walk for me 40-42 times around the outside of the house.
Thats just under 3.5 Kms and it burns my lunch off in the cooler late afternoon. I have lost 9.1 kgs in that time and are hoping to loose more.

old dog
04-01-2012, 5:09pm
good you are getting into the swimming Odille....and feeling much better for it. I have to lose some fat....er should I say this? ...hmmm....weight then :th3:. Swimming I have done years ago and I sure felt better from it. You really have to be dedicated and stick to whatever regime you adopt. We are moving in a couple of weeks and I will get back on my pushy a lot more....and I can walk to the pub too :beer_mug:...so that walking will help too.:D. Must combat the bulge as well and as you get older the harder it is. So again...good on you.

Analog6
04-01-2012, 8:35pm
Odille :wd: I admire what you are doing as I know how hard it is, I also admire that you can write about it I feel that helps too.
Keep up the good work and keep us posted on how you are going..

I have been doing it for 10 weeks now, eating healthy and excising its a 30 minute walk for me 40-42 times around the outside of the house.
Thats just under 3.5 Kms and it burns my lunch off in the cooler late afternoon. I have lost 9.1 kgs in that time and are hoping to loose more.

Good on you Mary Anne, that is a great weight loss in the time.

Analog6
04-01-2012, 8:36pm
good you are getting into the swimming Odille....and feeling much better for it. I have to lose some fat....er should I say this? ...hmmm....weight then :th3:. Swimming I have done years ago and I sure felt better from it. You really have to be dedicated and stick to whatever regime you adopt. We are moving in a couple of weeks and I will get back on my pushy a lot more....and I can walk to the pub too :beer_mug:...so that walking will help too.:D. Must combat the bulge as well and as you get older the harder it is. So again...good on you.

I felt it was getting to be 'Now or never' Graeme, I will be 59 in May and then looms the big 60. I do want to get much fitter by then and to do that I have to get some of this blubber off!

old dog
04-01-2012, 9:54pm
I have gone to the pack immediately after hitting 60....would you believe 50.....well how about 40...... It`s getting tougher every year. The mind is young but the ol body hurts a bit...but mostly only when I move. I think I better get back to swimming too as the pool is only 5 mins away.

leanneqld
05-01-2012, 1:49pm
Great work......swimming is my favourite exercise. Keep at it.

William
05-01-2012, 4:16pm
Well done Odille , Keep it up , So now I'm looking for the sexy lady in the Yellow Van , I have the Mike Wendon pools just around the corner from me , But so is the Alley , Keep up the good work - Bill :)

Bennymiata
05-01-2012, 5:40pm
Good on you!
It's hard to get started, but once you get into the swing of things,it comes more easily.

I lost over 20kg is just a few months about 18 months ago, and the only change I made was to stop eating sugar, white bread and cakes/biscuits.
It sounds hard, but I just said that to myself that I can no longer eat this rubbish, and it worked for me, but I know it can be very hard to do so.
I still don't eat sweets, I drink my tea black, although I do allow myself 1 spoon of sugar in my coffee (I tried it sugarless for 6 months and couldn't stand it), and to be frank with you, I don't even miss it anymore and if I do eat something very sweet (very rarely if I have to) it tastes horrible to me now.

Analog6
05-01-2012, 9:45pm
Well done Odille , Keep it up , So now I'm looking for the sexy lady in the Yellow Van , I have the Mike Wendon pools just around the corner from me , But so is the Alley , Keep up the good work - Bill :)

Don't hold your breath just yet, Bill, the sexy lady will be incognito for a while yet!

mrsgrumblebum
07-01-2012, 2:04pm
Great work I am starting my plan next week after i see my GP. I have quite alot to lose also. I will get one of the kids to take a few pics so I will be able to see my progress further down the track. Keep it up Odille you will loose your 20kgs before you know it. :)

Analog6
07-01-2012, 4:35pm
Great work I am starting my plan next week after i see my GP. I have quite alot to lose also. I will get one of the kids to take a few pics so I will be able to see my progress further down the track. Keep it up Odille you will loose your 20kgs before you know it. :)

I did have a dr checkup a few weeks ago and he put me on the chronic conditions list - using obesity!! - so I could get the government sponsored dental plan - I have had 5 visits now and my mouth feels so much better. As part of that I saw a dietitian who earnestly advised me to eat lots of carbs and low fat foods - despite my telling her that is what IU have been doing and watching the kgs just pile on. For me, low carb eating works. Lots of salads, vegetables, meat/chicken/fish and some cheese.

I have set up a spreadsheet that calculates the protein/fat/carbs/kj/cals for me daily and found a site that gave me exercise values in kjs/cals. When I subtract the exercise cals from the food cals daily I usually have only 400-600 left - so I have to lose weight on those values. If you are good with Excel and would like a copy email me with who you are & from AP in the subject.

Good luck with your efforts - it's really worth the effort - I feel like a new woman already!

Flat Cat
07-01-2012, 4:57pm
Well done. I find that very encouraging. It's all the little bits that ad up hey?

tcdev
11-01-2012, 3:17am
Hey congrats! Sounds like you're doing well. :th3:

Throughout my teens I started to pack on the weight simply with a bad diet and not enough exercise. When I hit 20 I got into martial arts in a big way, and was lucky enough to find myself training in a style that emphasised strenuous physical conditioning with no-nonsense instructors. As a result I became supremely fit and my now-wife reminds me that, even 15 years later in my early-mid 30's, I had a 6-pack! With my demanding physical exercise and youth, I found I could eat pretty much anything I wanted, and as much as I wanted - especially when I started weight training as well. Unfortunately I stopped training shortly after that and it has been a slow downward (or should I say upward in terms of weight) trend since then (now mid 40's). I've had periods of 'remission' along the way when I was more disciplined and less busy, but right now I'm probably at or near the heaviest I have ever been, which I would guess would be around 115kg. I would stress that I am a heavy build naturally, and also dabble in weight training, so a lean 95kg would probably be a good goal.

I know why I'm this weight and I know how to fix it. In short, I eat (a little) too much, and I snack on the wrong things, and I don't do enough exercise. I enjoy weight training (I have my own gym) which builds muscle and increases metabolism and am relatively disciplined but I have been frustrated over the last few years by injuries which necessitate periods where I am forced to stop training. I also play soccer but that is generally seasonal (and training is poorly attended these days) and even that has been punctuated by work travel and other commitments in the last year. I am well aware that soccer alone isn't enough to reverse or even arrest my gradual weight gain.

If I was the type of person that makes New Year resolutions, I'd set myself the following:

Cut out the snacks, except perhaps a treat once per week
Eat 5 or more smaller (relatively) healthy meals a day
Be consistent with my weight training (3 times/week)
Be consistent with my cardio, and supplement my soccer with something else (walking/hiking/cycling etc)

One thing I have learned through all of this is that going on a 'crash diet' or an intense 'boot camp' is a complete and utter waste of time. Anyone will lose weight by starving themselves and/or punishing their bodies physically - for a while. But there's two problems that people either don't understand or ignore; one is that the body will adjust after the initial shock, and such abuses (yes, they are abuses) will yield diminishing returns. Secondly no-one - and I mean no-one - can sustain such radical behaviour over the long term. Whether it's a matter of will power or simply time and/or life pressures, these can never be more than stop-gap measures. Sure, you can use them to kick-start a more sustainable long-term strategy, but there's one simple fact that is the key...

... you need to make a lifestyle adjustment. You don't 'diet' or starve yourself - you just eat better (and/or less). You don't do a 1 hour torture class 5 days/week before work and think that you'll be doing this years from now. You take up one or more forms of exercise that you both enjoy and have time for. Sure your results won't be stellar in the 1st month, but that's not as important as getting results 5 years down the track. Also, there's a big difference between being slim, and being fit. I'd take the latter any day.

A case in point is my weight training. I've always limited it to 3 sessions per week, each ranging from 45m to 1hr. Now that I have a gym in the garage, it's hard to argue that I don't have time when I spend more than that on my hobbies or watching TV each week. Generally, it's been injury and not a lack of discipline that interrupts my training. Over 20 years my gains have been slow but at my peak(s) I'm pretty happy with my lifts and what it does to my body. My colleague, OTOH, bought himself a gym several years ago but decided a more punishing regime would be better - training every 2nd day for about 90 mins, with more lifts and heavy squats every session. Not only does he suffer (IMHO) from over-training (injuries, constantly getting sick), he finds it difficult to sustain more than a few weeks of consistent training at a time. And considerably longer periods between actively training.

It's not easy (and gets harder with age), or we'd all be ripped. But it's far from being incredibly difficult too. I have little sympathy for those that complain that they've "tried it all and can't get results". It's simply not true. You just haven't tried hard enough. It's hard to hear, and most people would be offended to be told, but there are those that simply don't know what trying hard (physically) is - usually because they've never done it! I know, because I personally know someone like that. He genuinely thinks he is putting in an effort, and I can tell you - after watching him train and surviving a lot worse myself - that he isn't. And for all its faults, shows like The Biggest Loser do actually prove my point.

So kudos again to Odille, and anyone else committed to losing weight (and succeeding). Now I just need to make more of an effort myself in 2012...

JM Tran
11-01-2012, 3:26am
Good post and points mate, I think its time we make a weights training/cardio/diet/supplements thread:)

Analog6
11-01-2012, 7:01am
Hey congrats! Sounds like you're doing well. :th3:

Throughout my teens I started to pack on the weight simply with a bad diet and not enough exercise. When I hit 20 I got into martial arts in a big way, and was lucky enough to find myself training in a style that emphasised strenuous physical conditioning with no-nonsense instructors. As a result I became supremely fit and my now-wife reminds me that, even 15 years later in my early-mid 30's, I had a 6-pack! With my demanding physical exercise and youth, I found I could eat pretty much anything I wanted, and as much as I wanted - especially when I started weight training as well. Unfortunately I stopped training shortly after that and it has been a slow downward (or should I say upward in terms of weight) trend since then (now mid 40's). I've had periods of 'remission' along the way when I was more disciplined and less busy, but right now I'm probably at or near the heaviest I have ever been, which I would guess would be around 115kg. I would stress that I am a heavy build naturally, and also dabble in weight training, so a lean 95kg would probably be a good goal.

I know why I'm this weight and I know how to fix it. In short, I eat (a little) too much, and I snack on the wrong things, and I don't do enough exercise. I enjoy weight training (I have my own gym) which builds muscle and increases metabolism and am relatively disciplined but I have been frustrated over the last few years by injuries which necessitate periods where I am forced to stop training. I also play soccer but that is generally seasonal (and training is poorly attended these days) and even that has been punctuated by work travel and other commitments in the last year. I am well aware that soccer alone isn't enough to reverse or even arrest my gradual weight gain.

If I was the type of person that makes New Year resolutions, I'd set myself the following:

Cut out the snacks, except perhaps a treat once per week
Eat 5 or more smaller (relatively) healthy meals a day
Be consistent with my weight training (3 times/week)
Be consistent with my cardio, and supplement my soccer with something else (walking/hiking/cycling etc)

One thing I have learned through all of this is that going on a 'crash diet' or an intense 'boot camp' is a complete and utter waste of time. Anyone will lose weight by starving themselves and/or punishing their bodies physically - for a while. But there's two problems that people either don't understand or ignore; one is that the body will adjust after the initial shock, and such abuses (yes, they are abuses) will yield diminishing returns. Secondly no-one - and I mean no-one - can sustain such radical behaviour over the long term. Whether it's a matter of will power or simply time and/or life pressures, these can never be more than stop-gap measures. Sure, you can use them to kick-start a more sustainable long-term strategy, but there's one simple fact that is the key...

... you need to make a lifestyle adjustment. You don't 'diet' or starve yourself - you just eat better (and/or less). You don't do a 1 hour torture class 5 days/week before work and think that you'll be doing this years from now. You take up one or more forms of exercise that you both enjoy and have time for. Sure your results won't be stellar in the 1st month, but that's not as important as getting results 5 years down the track. Also, there's a big difference between being slim, and being fit. I'd take the latter any day.

A case in point is my weight training. I've always limited it to 3 sessions per week, each ranging from 45m to 1hr. Now that I have a gym in the garage, it's hard to argue that I don't have time when I spend more than that on my hobbies or watching TV each week. Generally, it's been injury and not a lack of discipline that interrupts my training. Over 20 years my gains have been slow but at my peak(s) I'm pretty happy with my lifts and what it does to my body. My colleague, OTOH, bought himself a gym several years ago but decided a more punishing regime would be better - training every 2nd day for about 90 mins, with more lifts and heavy squats every session. Not only does he suffer (IMHO) from over-training (injuries, constantly getting sick), he finds it difficult to sustain more than a few weeks of consistent training at a time. And considerably longer periods between actively training.

It's not easy (and gets harder with age), or we'd all be ripped. But it's far from being incredibly difficult too. I have little sympathy for those that complain that they've "tried it all and can't get results". It's simply not true. You just haven't tried hard enough. It's hard to hear, and most people would be offended to be told, but there are those that simply don't know what trying hard (physically) is - usually because they've never done it! I know, because I personally know someone like that. He genuinely thinks he is putting in an effort, and I can tell you - after watching him train and surviving a lot worse myself - that he isn't. And for all its faults, shows like The Biggest Loser do actually prove my point.

So kudos again to Odille, and anyone else committed to losing weight (and succeeding). Now I just need to make more of an effort myself in 2012...

Spot on tcdev. The combination of sensible eating and regular exercise will always work. It's just a matter of finding the combo that works for you.

Swimming is it for me, and it's such a surprise tyo me because I always dreaded it whenm I was a kid. Mum and my sister Vicki were good at it and such naturals, and I was such a klutz in the water. But I am doing well at it now, I wish I'd tried it 6 years ago when I lost the 30kgs, I might have kept it off.

At the pool we go to there are quite a few runners, triathletes (do their laps as part of their workouts - ride bike in, jump in pool, churn up and down, jump back on bike and off!) and body builders (you can pick them by their muscles!) and the ones I've spoken to - they're a friendly lot at the pool for the most part - say the swimming is a boost to their other training. We even have Tony Abbott's Doppelganger - right down to the haircut and the budgie smugglers!

Maybe you should think of incorporating some laps in your workout - it's such a good all over activity. And great for the period when you are suffering an injury.

And the last few days we have been going twice a day. The 'proper' workout mornings, and 20 laps or so and some muck around in the water time in the afternoon on the 4 days a week they are open to 6.30pm. Yesterday, with the 2 workouts and not much food because I went to the dentist, I actually had a calorie deficit for the day! Most days food minus exercise is around 300-500 cals, so I have to lose some weight.

And my Primal eating is going really well, the only grains I am eating are a few (6-8) seaweed rice crackers when we have smoked salmon on our big antipasto plate. I just like the tastes together, with some avo instead of butter and a red lettuce leaf. And we are lucky to have a groaning avocado tree, such a hardship!

tcdev
11-01-2012, 10:48am
Maybe you should think of incorporating some laps in your workout - it's such a good all over activity. And great for the period when you are suffering an injury.
I probably should! I used to surf quite a bit when I was young, and during my 20's did actually incorporate laps into my routine when I was living in Bondi. I was amazed at how my 1st session consisted of no more than 10 laps, done with a significant delay in between, and then only a few weeks later I was doing 30 (slow) laps non-stop. From there I quickly progressed to 50. Mind you, I was young and already fit, but still, my progress astounded me.

Coincidentally, my wife is coming up to 6 months pregnancy and is suffering from hip pain. We just returned from Hawaii this week and on our trip she started doing laps of breast-stroke in the pools as a form of exercise - and discovered that it completely eliminated her hip pain that night! It returned (less severe) if she didn't do the laps that day, but again eliminated it when she did! So she's keen to keep that up as much as possible now that we're home.

We're moving house soon and there's a pool about 10 mins walk away. I start work at 10am so I really don't have any excuse not to incorporate laps into my regime!

Analog6
11-01-2012, 10:21pm
I probably should! I used to surf quite a bit when I was young, and during my 20's did actually incorporate laps into my routine when I was living in Bondi. I was amazed at how my 1st session consisted of no more than 10 laps, done with a significant delay in between, and then only a few weeks later I was doing 30 (slow) laps non-stop. From there I quickly progressed to 50. Mind you, I was young and already fit, but still, my progress astounded me.

Coincidentally, my wife is coming up to 6 months pregnancy and is suffering from hip pain. We just returned from Hawaii this week and on our trip she started doing laps of breast-stroke in the pools as a form of exercise - and discovered that it completely eliminated her hip pain that night! It returned (less severe) if she didn't do the laps that day, but again eliminated it when she did! So she's keen to keep that up as much as possible now that we're home.

We're moving house soon and there's a pool about 10 mins walk away. I start work at 10am so I really don't have any excuse not to incorporate laps into my regime!

It's really surprising how quickly you get into the routine. I hadn't swum for forty years and in just 4 months I am doing 30 laps a session and 50 in 2 sessions on one day! And it has totally eliminated my back pain and most of my ankle and knee pain - and as I lose the extra weight I am carrying I am sure those will go too.

Good luck with your move and I hope you can bith get back to the pool. There are a few expectant lady 'lappers' at our pool.

CarolTas
12-01-2012, 11:42am
Great to see you are doing something about it Odille. We don't realise how much we restrict ourselves by being overweight until we lose that first 10kg.

I was surprised with the extra energy I had when I lost 15kg just about 2 years ago. I have put back on 5kg ( 2kg in the last few weeks :o ) and will be at it this year to lose that 5kg plus another 10kg.
My husband and I limited all fats, sugars, salts and processed foods which also included much less bread and definately no cakes or biscuits unless it was the odd cracker biscuit. We decided to do yard duties for our exercise which may have only been a few hours each week. Too much to do around here and the hills on our street are a bit too much for me at the moment. At least now I can walk up to the house from the letter box now instead of trudging up (which isn't really that far).
We read labels when we did our shopping to find the brands which contained the least amount of fat, sugar and salt, checking out the 100 gram section on the product if there was must have a processed item. A little time consuming to start but once we got to know which brands to buy it was a quick shop again. It's amazing the difference you find between the brands when you start checking these labels. We also cut down our serving sizes preparing 100 -150grams meat only and extra vegies adding a small serve of salad too if needed. More salads as well and limited snacking and wine etc.
This worked for us. We just don't have the time for walking or swimming but pushing the lawnmower and gardening :eek: on our big block helped (as long as it was a few hours a week.

I think your post has spurred me on to get started for this year. We have been talking about it for the last 2 weeks. Now to get started! :)

Analog6
16-01-2012, 9:02am
Great to see you are doing something about it Odille. We don't realise how much we restrict ourselves by being overweight until we lose that first 10kg.

I was surprised with the extra energy I had when I lost 15kg just about 2 years ago. I have put back on 5kg ( 2kg in the last few weeks :o ) and will be at it this year to lose that 5kg plus another 10kg.
My husband and I limited all fats, sugars, salts and processed foods which also included much less bread and definately no cakes or biscuits unless it was the odd cracker biscuit. We decided to do yard duties for our exercise which may have only been a few hours each week. Too much to do around here and the hills on our street are a bit too much for me at the moment. At least now I can walk up to the house from the letter box now instead of trudging up (which isn't really that far).
We read labels when we did our shopping to find the brands which contained the least amount of fat, sugar and salt, checking out the 100 gram section on the product if there was must have a processed item. A little time consuming to start but once we got to know which brands to buy it was a quick shop again. It's amazing the difference you find between the brands when you start checking these labels. We also cut down our serving sizes preparing 100 -150grams meat only and extra vegies adding a small serve of salad too if needed. More salads as well and limited snacking and wine etc.
This worked for us. We just don't have the time for walking or swimming but pushing the lawnmower and gardening :eek: on our big block helped (as long as it was a few hours a week.

I think your post has spurred me on to get started for this year. We have been talking about it for the last 2 weeks. Now to get started! :)

It is amazing when you compare labels, isn't it. I never buy any product with more than 8 ingredients - and I carefully check the contents. Did you realise the ingredient list is ordered as what it has the most of first? Therefore last night I was idly checking Warwick's chilli sauce bottle - chillis 39%, then SUGAR! And it was 37% sugar. So we are going to have a go at making our own, we have lots of chillis coming on. And for me it is the carbs that matter - I check them religiously, as on low carb you don't worry too much about fats. An interesting exercise is to go to the dairy cabinet and line up the milks from lowest to highest fat (ie skim to pure cream). Now look at the carb count - the lower the fat the higher the carbs - they use filler things to make it taste like milk and they all have simple sugars in them.

I totalled up my foods for last week and I consumed (with exercise kilojoules & calories deducted):
Protein 377g; Fat 607g, Carbs 217g, 18,767 Kj, 5358 cal; for a daily average of
Protein 54g, Fat 87g, Carbs 31g , 2,681Kj, 765 cal.

So at an average of total calories under 800 a day I have to be losing. Next weighin/measure day is 1 February - or as close to that date as when I get down to the medical clinic where I get weighed.

rellik666
16-01-2012, 10:07am
Wow didn't think I would find this kind of thread on here! But very interesting....congrats on the hard work Odille. I am in a similar situation to you. I had about 25kg to loose, and have been swimming on and off for about 3 years which I think helped me maintain my weight but didn't really do anything except that. But in the last 12 months I have increased my swimming to proper swimming, I swim 2km in 40 mins every morning during the week. And try and walk everywhere I can.

But is only recently I have realised what has been holding me back, and that is how much I eat. I didn't think I ate that much, really not like the people you see on TV. Sensible breakfast, porridge, Subway or similar for lunch, and dinner (meat, potatoes and salad or veg). But recently I walked the Great Ocean Walk (90km-7days) and had to carry everything I needed including my food. And I was astonished at how little I needed. I was walking 15km a day with a 20kg backpack and ate maybe half of what I would consume during a normal day, where I sit at work all day!

I am now eating very similar to what I ate during the walk and swimming. It seems to be working, so now finally I have started to make some progress into the 25kg, with 6 kg down, 4 in the last 6 weeks! :D

I am trying to stick to a total consumption of 1500 Calories after exercise.

I have also given up sugar and now grow a lot of my own veg. Which means I am making a lot more food from scratch and not only is better for me it takes the effort and make smaller portions! :D

I have realised that it is good business for promotion of consumption, but it is not good for me and just because someone is selling it, it isn't always good for me.

Analog6
16-01-2012, 10:23am
Wow didn't think I would find this kind of thread on here! But very interesting....congrats on the hard work Odille. I am in a similar situation to you. I had about 25kg to loose, and have been swimming on and off for about 3 years which I think helped me maintain my weight but didn't really do anything except that. But in the last 12 months I have increased my swimming to proper swimming, I swim 2km in 40 mins every morning during the week. And try and walk everywhere I can.

But is only recently I have realised what has been holding me back, and that is how much I eat. I didn't think I ate that much, really not like the people you see on TV. Sensible breakfast, porridge, Subway or similar for lunch, and dinner (meat, potatoes and salad or veg). But recently I walked the Great Ocean Walk (90km-7days) and had to carry everything I needed including my food. And I was astonished at how little I needed. I was walking 15km a day with a 20kg backpack and ate maybe half of what I would consume during a normal day, where I sit at work all day!

I am now eating very similar to what I ate during the walk and swimming. It seems to be working, so now finally I have started to make some progress into the 25kg, with 6 kg down, 4 in the last 6 weeks! :D

I am trying to stick to a total consumption of 1500 Calories after exercise.

I have also given up sugar and now grow a lot of my own veg. Which means I am making a lot more food from scratch and not only is better for me it takes the effort and make smaller portions! :D

I have realised that it is good business for promotion of consumption, but it is not good for me and just because someone is selling it, it isn't always good for me.

I firmly believe fresh food as unprocessed as possible and smaller portions are a big part of the key to losing weight. We have a set of plates that were Warwick's Mums, so they are about 50 years old. The dinner plates are only about 2cm larger than the bread and butter plates from my 'modern' set. So I am using those, putting less on my plate, and trying to eat more slowly.

When I do go to the supermarket, I just go round the edges - vegetables, cold stuff, dairy and only sorty up the aisles I want things in like paper goods (foil, oven bake etc) or coffee or health foods (for things like LSA mix which I use for crumbing instead of breadcrumbs). Wandering up and down every aisle is the key to disaster, especially the snack food aisles.

And the only bottled drink i have is natural sparkling mineral water or soda water. Soft drinks, even diet ones, are the death of weight loss, as even the artificial sweeteners give the brain the insulin message and make you hungry for carbs.

rellik666
16-01-2012, 10:50am
I don't drink anything much except water and the odd bit of alcohol, soft drinks are evil! :D

I have also been using an iphone app called caloriecounter and it is great. It even scans barcodes so you can see how many calories are in something. I used to have a chocolate croissant for breakfast until I realised it was 1/3 of daily allowance in one hit....and I was hungry shortly afterwards!

I @ M
16-01-2012, 11:07am
I have also been using an iphone app called caloriecounter and it is great.

The iphone is THE greatest weight GAIN product known to man kind!!!!!!!

Superbly accurate GPS plotting of all fast food stores within delivery distance and the ability to remember and instantly order any your favourite food fetishes with only the most miniscule of muscle movements of your little finger. :D

Gone are the days of having to actually get off the lounge and walk to the kitchen bench to lift a heavy telephone book, that process used to at least burn a few calories before the feast began. :rolleyes:

Analog6
16-01-2012, 12:58pm
LOL! Very true - but I never use my iPhone online - too expensive (I am prepaid). And fast food does not get a lookin for me, too many food intolerances and reactions. But I agree, we are fast becoming a very lazy nation.

This process is not helped by the cricket being sponsored by KFC and Maccas!

Bennymiata
16-01-2012, 7:34pm
Being a diabetic, and checking my sugar levels 4 times a day, I can't begin to tell you how bad things like pizza, McDonalds, KFC etc are, and how they affect your sugar levels.
While they may not be sweet to taste, they do contain stuff that turns into sugar in your bloodstream and will ad kilos to your weight.

I'm very lucky in that my wife is an excellent cook and she really looks after me, and with a bit of searching, you can eat really well, both in flavour and quantity, without piling on the weight.

There is a saying that goes something like, if you eat like a diabetic, you will be healthy and you'll never be hungry.
Having said that, if I ate the quantities that the diabetic association says I should eat, I'd look like a Biafran(?) refugee.

Losing weight is all in your mind.
If you can say to yourself that you won't eat any crap, and practise it, you will win the war.
If you don't, you'll just pile on the kilos until you die, eventually.

Once you get used to eating healthily, it becomes a habit and you won't miss things like chocolate, biscuits and cake - and I know that I don't, because when it's offered I just say to myself that I can't eat this garbage. I don't eat between meals either, except at night when I am allowed to have some fruit and healthy munchies, and keep myself feeling full by drinking water.

I became diabetic about 2 years ago, and not because I was a huge sugar eater, but due to stress, and my sugar levels average under 6, so I keep very good control.

Analog6
17-01-2012, 6:59am
Being a diabetic, and checking my sugar levels 4 times a day, I can't begin to tell you how bad things like pizza, McDonalds, KFC etc are, and how they affect your sugar levels.
While they may not be sweet to taste, they do contain stuff that turns into sugar in your bloodstream and will ad kilos to your weight.

I'm very lucky in that my wife is an excellent cook and she really looks after me, and with a bit of searching, you can eat really well, both in flavour and quantity, without piling on the weight.

There is a saying that goes something like, if you eat like a diabetic, you will be healthy and you'll never be hungry.
Having said that, if I ate the quantities that the diabetic association says I should eat, I'd look like a Biafran(?) refugee.

Losing weight is all in your mind.
If you can say to yourself that you won't eat any crap, and practise it, you will win the war.
If you don't, you'll just pile on the kilos until you die, eventually.

Once you get used to eating healthily, it becomes a habit and you won't miss things like chocolate, biscuits and cake - and I know that I don't, because when it's offered I just say to myself that I can't eat this garbage. I don't eat between meals either, except at night when I am allowed to have some fruit and healthy munchies, and keep myself feeling full by drinking water.

I became diabetic about 2 years ago, and not because I was a huge sugar eater, but due to stress, and my sugar levels average under 6, so I keep very good control.

HI Benny, it's good that you have your blood sugar levels under control. I felt I was heading for type 2 diabetes and did not want that to happen. And as low carb eating is so good for your insulin response, and I am very gluten intolerant and find, as well, that most grains don't agree with me, this is my lifestyle for the rest of my life.

The magic bullet for me has been finding the exercise I can do and not be in agony from afterwards. It makes me feel much more positive and makes it so much easier to eat wisely.

rellik666
17-01-2012, 10:02am
The iphone is THE greatest weight GAIN product known to man kind!!!!!!!

Superbly accurate GPS plotting of all fast food stores within delivery distance and the ability to remember and instantly order any your favourite food fetishes with only the most miniscule of muscle movements of your little finger. :D

Gone are the days of having to actually get off the lounge and walk to the kitchen bench to lift a heavy telephone book, that process used to at least burn a few calories before the feast began. :rolleyes:

I have to say my iphone has been a revelation to helping me loose weight! First I had a couch to 5km running app, that trained me to be able to run a 12km run in Nov 2010. I have never run that far before. It was great and really motivating. It starts off with the expectation you can't run at all. And by the end of it I managed to run for over an 1hr.

Secondly as mentioned before, but wrong, I have an app called myfitnesspal, it helps me track my exercise, it is linked with a website so I can sync all my devices and provides me with calorie information on all kinds of food. It also helps me track my sugar intake, which for me also is a problem as I have insulin resistance.

I think it is whatever works for you. It is hard but it is about baby steps. And making choices and not beating yourself up for making the wrong one now and again. Every meal is an opportunity to make the right choice. And slowly your lifestyle will change.

Dylan & Marianne
17-01-2012, 3:28pm
congrats Odille - great to see that you've been successful and provided a role model for others :) You seem to have hit the nail on the head with lifestyle modification and responsible weight loss ! Any more rapid than 0.5-1kg weekly through crash dieting and boot camp stuff and weight just tends to find its way back.
no comment from me about my cachetic look - though I do fear what might happen in the future if I stop the 5-10km daily runs and continue my tooth killing diet! I'm not a good example for my patients lol

mechawombat
18-01-2012, 6:55pm
Last year, I decided to drop caffeine, and it was easy, next was Soft drink, which has been a whole lot harder but I allow myself Soft drink when I am at a celebration.

I posted up on Facebook that my NY resolution was to lose 12Kgs for the year. My starting point was 136.6Kg......

I am currently half way through the first month and have lost 2.3Kgs however I want to do the 12kgs slowly but cutting out Bread and swapping for wraps has helped as has salad with protein for every meal (except breakfast which I currently hardly have ... but that will change)

When I dropped caffeine I went through withdrawls with migraines, shakes, and a whole lots of aches. but 4 months on I feel heaps better and I have not had a migraine since.

Nothing tastes as good as looking and feeling good!

Analog6
19-01-2012, 6:36am
Last year, I decided to drop caffeine, and it was easy, next was Soft drink, which has been a whole lot harder but I allow myself Soft drink when I am at a celebration.

I posted up on Facebook that my NY resolution was to lose 12Kgs for the year. My starting point was 136.6Kg......

I am currently half way through the first month and have lost 2.3Kgs however I want to do the 12kgs slowly but cutting out Bread and swapping for wraps has helped as has salad with protein for every meal (except breakfast which I currently hardly have ... but that will change)

When I dropped caffeine I went through withdrawls with migraines, shakes, and a whole lots of aches. but 4 months on I feel heaps better and I have not had a migraine since.

Nothing tastes as good as looking and feeling good!

Yes, giving up coffee does affect you. Many years ago I was up to 12 cups a day and decided to give it up cold turkey - I had a week of exactly what you describe and fekt vile. Now I allow myself one real coffee in the morning and up to 3 decaff (Moccona water decaffeinated) during the day. Giving up grains is the biggie for me, after discovering I was very gluten intolerant - the Doc believes I have cioeliav disease but I chose not to have the biopsy, I just eat as if I am - I feel much, much better.

And the new lifestyle is showing some more positive results for me.

On Saturday and Sunday I went out photographing and both days were at the beach and involved walking in soft sand carrying the heavy camera bag. Previously, this would have left me in such pain with my back that I would have 2-3 days of pain and using my walking stick. And the result - NONE - no back pain at all! It was a little stiff, and I have had a couple of twinges in my bad ankle, but the improvement is amazing!

AND the pants I wore were tight round the waist in early November and they are now so big I had to use the drawstring as they FELL DOWN without it. Woo Hoo! My pants fell down - I never thought I would be so happy about it. Can't wait for my Feb 01 measuring.

And my BP is now consistently the low 120s over low 80s - it was much higher.

PDii
19-01-2012, 9:27am
Congrats to you. It sounds like the effort you are putting is is reaping a reward. While I don't need to lose any myself, my other half has been struggling with her weight since the kids were born 11 years ago. SHe has tried all sorts of diets etc, and has been successful in a few. The real bummer is that she lacks a lot of support to keep her going. WHile the intentions are good, there is only so many times the immediate family can say "good on you", without it losing it's effectiveness. I think that having outsiders (friends, work mates) support and nurture you while trying to achieve something this important is crucial.
Her BP has gone up a little bit in the last few months, and she has manged to pinch a siatic? nerve, therby losing feeling down her right leg at times. Couple this with 2 crook knees from sports as a teen, that just give way on her at random moments, I don't need to tell you that she once again is struggling with the weight. The motivation is good, but being consistant with diet and exercise really is the key.

Analog6
19-01-2012, 2:03pm
Congrats to you. It sounds like the effort you are putting is is reaping a reward. While I don't need to lose any myself, my other half has been struggling with her weight since the kids were born 11 years ago. SHe has tried all sorts of diets etc, and has been successful in a few. The real bummer is that she lacks a lot of support to keep her going. WHile the intentions are good, there is only so many times the immediate family can say "good on you", without it losing it's effectiveness. I think that having outsiders (friends, work mates) support and nurture you while trying to achieve something this important is crucial.
Her BP has gone up a little bit in the last few months, and she has manged to pinch a siatic? nerve, therby losing feeling down her right leg at times. Couple this with 2 crook knees from sports as a teen, that just give way on her at random moments, I don't need to tell you that she once again is struggling with the weight. The motivation is good, but being consistant with diet and exercise really is the key.

If you are within reach of a pool, she may find swimming beneficial as I have. No joint pain at all now. If she is not a swimmer, walking in the water and using a kickboard are good too, and she can go as hard or easy at it as her injuries permit. I reckon it's the best thing I've found in 20 years of trying to lose weight!

Analog6
20-01-2012, 9:38am
Well, I have signed up for the Channel Ten's 1 Million Kilo Challenge (http://www.everydayhero.com.au/event/1millionkilochallenge) and made my Cause the Cat Protection Society of NSW. You can see my page here (http://www.everydayhero.com.au/odille_esmondemorgan).

While I am not trying to lose weight in a hurry, it is a great cause and I hope I can raise some money for them.

Thanks to jeanie on Cat-World forum (http://www.cat-world.com.au/forums/index.php?/topic/130668-who-wants-to-join-me-in-the1millionkilo-challange/) for posting about it - we cannot receive Channel 10 at the moment - even with a good digital set top box, I think we need a new aerial but we don't watch much TV so haven't bothered about it.

ktoopi
20-01-2012, 1:05pm
Wow Odile what an achievement!! Keep up the great work. I read your post with great interest as I have a modest amount of weight to lose and have had a huge amount of trouble despite going to the gym and having a trainer. Your post interested me as I have two girlfriends who swim almost every day down at the local beach pool even in winter and they are trying really hard to get me to join them.( they are both slim !) I have put it off and off as I don't consider myself to be a swimmer and would probably need some lessons on freestyle first.:eek: I don't think I have swum a single stroke of freestyle in over 25 years!! Reading your post has motivated me to give swimming a go before summer is over!!:)

Jeanette
20-01-2012, 1:18pm
How encouraging and a wonderful open honest thread you posted.:D
weight is a hard thing to talk about with anyone let alone sharing with many people so big grats for that and can certainly help you keep motivated.
I have lost weight over the last year, very slowly much slower than i wanted but getting there. I have realised though by loosing it slowly it does stay off better. I HOPE :)

so on a photography site it is wonderful to see the sharing of what makes us all real :) just gorgous

Kevin M
20-01-2012, 1:49pm
Hi Odille,
good on you... :th3:

Analog6
23-01-2012, 12:02pm
For those who are also battling, I found this great nutrition counting tool (http://paleotrack.com) which tarcks all your food and presents it as a pie chart with labels. Very useful and super easy to use and it is free.

Analog6
01-02-2012, 9:31am
Weight down 1.4kgs for a total January loss of 3.4 kgs.

Measurements down 31.5 for the month of January! Total cm lost now 76!

In cms - Bust - Waist - Hips - Upper arm - Thigh - Neck - Calf - Total
Total Lost - 15 - 17.5 - 27 - 4 6.5 - 6 - 0 - 76
Since last - 1 - 6.5 - 18 0 - 3.5 - 2 - 0.5 - 31.5

I would have like a bit more off the darn bust measurement - I always used to los there first - maybe menopause maks a difference.

rellik666
01-02-2012, 3:55pm
Congrats keep up the good work!:th3: Have slipped off the bandwagon myself this week!

Analog6
15-03-2012, 1:35pm
Well, I was just in the bathroom washing my hands and realised how much my horrible double chin and wattley neck have improved. Here are 2 pics - one is me 'dressing' the Xmas tree a few days before the event, and the other is taken with my on computer camera just 1/2 an hour or so ago. I am so pleased to see a positive improvement like this!

http://ih1.redbubble.net/image.11604827.2010/flat,550x550,075,f.jpg http://ih0.redbubble.net/image.11604832.2013/flat,550x550,075,f.jpg

Tikira
15-03-2012, 3:11pm
Wow Odille I hardly recognised you.

I really am impressed.

Di

mudman
15-03-2012, 4:16pm
i surrendered to it years ago:rolleyes:

Mary Anne
15-03-2012, 6:21pm
You are doing Fantastic Odille. :wd:
I am impressed also what a difference, you would be so pleased with yourself :th3::th3:

I am not loosing much as I had to stop that 3.5km walk every day as it was draining the energy out of me, I blame age and the humidity. :laughing1:
Only lost 3.4kg the past 2 months guess it better than putting it on though :D

leanneqld
15-03-2012, 6:24pm
Marvellous..you look great. Keep at it. :efelant:

terry.langham
16-03-2012, 8:12am
Well done Odille. Those visible changes are the most rewarding, even more so then the tumbling numbers on the scales.

I have cut out processed foods and sugars (still eating lots of fruit) and have so far lost 13kg, with a minimal amount of excercise.

allendarryl555
16-03-2012, 10:23am
As some of those who have been on meet ups with me will know, I need to lose some weight. Due to old Achilles ankle injuries and subsequent knee injuries, exercise has been hard. And in the last couple of years the fact that carrying anything heavy has been nearly impossible for me, resulting in severe back pain for up to 3 days afterwards.

Back in August my partner Warwick went to the doc and his BP was a bit high and doctor recommended lose some weight and get more exercise. Warwick grew up by the beach so swimming is as natural as breathing to him. After he had been going for a few weeks he suggested I come along. I was initially reluctant but I did go down just for a look and found the pool had kickboards you could use.

So! I am now up to 30 laps (1500m in 75-90 minutes) 3 days a week a mix of kickboard and breast stroke and back stroke. On the other 3 days a week I go I do 20 laps, 300m of walking in the water, and 15 mins of aerobic exercises in the water (jumps, running on the spot etc) – about 60-75 mins. And I feel great. I love walking but my weight gain (I was up to 120kgs on 1August 2011) and troublesome ankles meant just 15 mins of waking left me in so much pain I would hardly move for 3 days. I do all this exercise at the pool and have no pain afterwards. And this type of exercise – I do NOT ‘go for the burn’! – fits in with the Primal lifestyle, which I am aiming to get back to. My Primal Blog (http://primalodille.wordpress.com/)

I have even bought my own pair of flippers – the type that makes your muscles work harder, not the go faster ones – my own kickbooard, googgles and swim shirt. Who’d have thunk it?

I went back and revisited my food/weight loss diary from 2 years ago. In December 2010 (the last recorded measurements) I had the following figures:
date – weight in kgs – bust – waist – hips – upper arm – thigh – base of neck – calf (measurements in cms)
05/12/2010 – 121 kgs – 145 – 130 – 145 – 43 – 71.5 – 47 – 39
01/01/2012 – 112 kgs – 131 – 119 – 136 – 39 – 68.5 – 43 – 39.5
So I have lost 9 kgs and 44.5cm!

UPDATE: Weigh in today at the doctors before the dentist – down another 2kgs!

So I have now lost 10kgs or 8.33% of my body weight. And I do feel fantastic – the swimming is really strengthening my muscles and to be able to do normal things like walk upstairs, go shopping, carry bags etc without knowing I am in for long bouts of back pain is like a miracle. I wish I’d discovered swimming years ago! And I cam now do a full 50m lap of breast stroke and back stroke and 30m of freestyle – all with correct breathing. I’m trying to do a bit more freestyle each week.

So to any of you trying to lose weight I really recommend the pool.

I’m really pleased with the loss of 4cm from the upper arms – I am working hard on them to try and muscle the flabby old things! I don’t mind the calf measurement increasing, I’m doing so much kicking at the pool I reckon they’d have to! And I have dropped a dress size since the August restart (120kgs), plus I can now walk upstairs like a normal person instead of clutching the hand rail for grim death and gasping my way up! And my BP this morning was 124/80 pulse 68 – I’m very happy with those numbers.

But best of all, I can carry the camera bag up and down the steps at home with no effort at all! It has wheels so once I have it at ground level there are problems, but I used to have to wait until Warwick got home to get it up the stairs to the computer/recharge area.

So, I am feeling better and will keep updating this as the more people who know what I am trying to do the more honest it will keep me!

My aim is to lose 20kgs this year, I think that is an achievable goal.

allendarryl555
16-03-2012, 10:26am
I am overweight and have several seveere physical dissabilities and after reading your experience I am going to try the pool as well.
Darryl

Analog6
16-03-2012, 10:27am
Yep, the processed foods and sugars are the killers - an also they are addictive (http://www.marksdailyapple.com/8-reasons-why-you-act-against-your-own-better-judgment/#axzz1pE89Salc). Wheat/grains act on the same opiate receptors as heroin, and sugar on the same ones as cocaine. Bring on those TimTams, feed both addictions in one go! (NOT!)

Lance B
16-03-2012, 10:46am
Yep, the processed foods and sugars are the killers - an also they are addictive (http://www.marksdailyapple.com/8-reasons-why-you-act-against-your-own-better-judgment/#axzz1pE89Salc). Wheat/grains act on the same opiate receptors as heroin, and sugar on the same ones as cocaine. Bring on those TimTams, feed both addictions in one go! (NOT!)

Congratulations on being so strong willed and losing so much weight, that is a fantastic effort and you to be commended for keeping at it!!! :th3:

You are correct about processed foods and sugars. We should eat foods as close to how they are naturally, ie unprocessed, full grain and no added sugars. As one nutritionalist suggested, there are 4 things you should have as much as you can: vegetables, fish, laughter and sex. Sounds good to me. :)

rellik666
16-03-2012, 4:09pm
Congrats well done! It takes time to change your life and get out of old habits!

I have moved to really low carb or low GL foods, so that isn't all meat it is a balance but moving away from the Carbs that cause increased sugar levels.

I am finding it a revelation. I am fuller than ever and eating less. I have issues with insulin and now the less sugars I eat the more I am affected when I do eat them. I slip now and again, and when I do I want to eat more rubbish....which is proving to me how addictive they are.

But I am finally starting to loose some weight after years of trying! :p

JODEAN
16-03-2012, 5:11pm
Congrats Odille, keep up the good work (outs)...lol

Dean.

Analog6
18-03-2012, 5:03am
Congratulations on being so strong willed and losing so much weight, that is a fantastic effort and you to be commended for keeping at it!!! :th3:

You are correct about processed foods and sugars. We should eat foods as close to how they are naturally, ie unprocessed, full grain and no added sugars. As one nutritionalist suggested, there are 4 things you should have as much as you can: vegetables, fish, laughter and sex. Sounds good to me. :)

Me too Lance!

I've one a lot of research over the years since I found out about my gluten intolerance, some real eye opening stuff out there.

Thanks everyone for the kind words, it's all so encouraging, and I need all the encouragement I can get!. Winter will be tougher to keep up the daily swim but I am looking into thin wetsuits.

Avalon
18-03-2012, 7:57am
Congratulations Odille and thank you for such an inspiring thread. :)
I've recently found MyFitnessPal has helped a lot with weight control. It tracks what I eat and keeps me aware of how many calories I consume in a day. The best part for me is that I'm eating my own food, not trying to follow another "diet" that I will inevitably fall off.
So far I seem to be losing a steady 100gms a day which over two months has added up to 5 kg without too much of a change to my lifestyle.

Analog6
18-03-2012, 1:21pm
MyFitnessPal is pretty good - I use it for a ticker on some of my low carb forums.

Analog6
31-03-2012, 8:55pm
I have caved in and weighed and measured myself today - I guess one day won't make too much dramatic difference. A good result for the month.

Weight - down 2.4kgs from 106.4kgs to 104kgs since 27/02/2012 (in lbs down 5.2 from 243.6 to 229.3)

Measurements (in cms) | Bust | < Bust | Waist | Hips | Upper arm | Thighs | Neck | Calf | Total
Total Lost | 25 | 28.5 | 19 | 18 | 5.7 | 5 | 6 | 2 | 111
Since last | 8 | 13.5 | 3 | 2 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 26.5

And I just checked my body fat % here (I find this site quite good - use the second set of boxes) 5% down since mid Feb it has dropped from 35% to 30%. Very, very pleased.

On Friday had my dental appointment to get the last crown, I had a temporary and the 'real' one had to go on. So the night before I put out my skirt (size22) and when I put it on it fell down to my feet. I was stunned and delighted. So I rooted around in the cupboard for the nice size 20 one - too loose to wear.

Did I mention I was pleased! I think I floated off the floor for a minute there . . . .

Chris C
31-03-2012, 10:07pm
Congratulations on a fantastic job of getting the weight off Odile. It's never easy.

A few years back my wife and I both decided to lose some weight, so I know it can be pretty tough. Every pound on your body originally went in past your teeth (and if you're like me, we enjoyed every mouthful), but there's really no substitute for eating less and exercising a bit more. There seem to be two pitfalls to watch out for - finding some exercise(s) that you won't stop at the first excuse because it's too boring, and then maintaining the good eating regime once the weight goes down. At least that's how it went for us. Swimming is excellent if you have reasonable access to a pool. We mostly had to rely on walking, bike riding, and stuff like that.

We went the full route of counting calories, writing it all down, daily weighing, etc and it worked very well. We lost about twenty kilos each, which took both of us below the target figures for our height and age on the health charts, so we were very pleased about that. Our record after the loss was interesting though. My wife had been somewhat overweight nearly all her life, and we had decided on a 'prize' of a couple of grand towards new clothes if she hit the target. She duly collected, and once she was able to wear the sort of clothes she had only looked at before, she never put any weight back on. She remains a very careful eater and still sometimes even weighs portions. She had refused to get on weighing scales for decades, but now weighs herself every week. Quite a change. People at work who have only known the slim version won't believe that she was ever chubby, and say things like "It's easy for you, you're the slim type" - and don't understand how hard she worked to get that way! :)

On the other hand, I'd never really been overweight before, and was quite stunned to see that I obvious had become so! When I took it off, it seemed like being tubby had been just a 'temporary blip' so I've had a much poorer record since. I stick a few kilos back on and then have to take them off again! You'd think I'd learn.... :rolleyes: But at least I'm still well below where I was, and I feel far better all round when I'm fitter and lighter. There really is no doubting that.

All the best with your quest to trim some more off. You're doing a terrific job.

Cheers,

Chris

bricat
02-04-2012, 11:53pm
Well done. You are seeing results for your hard work. Keep your focus and you can acheive anything. Now where is that tea and biscuits. I too have to lose around 20kg but suffer from chronic back pain. Perhaps it is time for me to stop making excuses.... cheers

Analog6
03-04-2012, 6:13am
Well done. You are seeing results for your hard work. Keep your focus and you can acheive anything. Now where is that tea and biscuits. I too have to lose around 20kg but suffer from chronic back pain. Perhaps it is time for me to stop making excuses.... cheers

I had daily back pain too, the swimming has really strengthened it up though & the weight loss has helped too I think. It's truly worth the effort. I reckon 2-3 years in total to get rid of all my 'wide load'!

Mary Anne
03-04-2012, 6:04pm
Odille You are doing so well.. I am so pleased of what you have been achieving :th3:
I only lost 1.5kg this past month though thats better than putting it on I guess :(

Analog6
04-04-2012, 12:30pm
Anything's better than putting it on, Mary Anne, even staying the same weight!

Analog6
17-05-2012, 10:01am
I am on a weight loss forum, an Australian low carb one which started out as a mostly Atkins forum, but now they are all trying BodyTrim. This is a bastardised cross between Protein Power and Atkins except it recommends low carb and low fat, and they give you one 'free day' a week. I reckon it is very dodgy and people Pay $180 or so for the 'kit'. Anyway, they have one thing I thought might help and that is a 3 day protein only start. I noticed people do drop weight on the 3 days so thought I would try it.

I have NOT done it low fat, I know I'd be ravenous and never stick to it, but it hasn't been too bad. At breakfast I cook a couple of extra bits of steak and have them in the fridge for later in the day, and I am still having my bit of butter snack if I feel the need. No wine or caffeine or dairy except I have had my nightly decaff with cream, it helps me nod off. Lots of water.

I had a hell of a lot of steak(!) and last night it was chicken for a change. I'll cut it onto strips and cook on a griddle using herbs, macadamia oil and squirt a bit of lemon on it at the end. Well, that was the plan and the darned chicken shop forgot my order for 4 chicken breasts with the skin on. I was so cross. I had to buy a BBQ one and while it was nice it was not what I had been looking forward to!

And it worked - I lost 2.5kgs in 3 days. And as I was bobbing up and down between 104 and 105 it is probably 3.5kgs. I'm well pleased and will have one or two protein only days every week now. Two is more practical - by the end of yesterday I would have killed for a plate of mushrooms or green beans!

My highest ever weight was in Sept 2005 - 131.5 & my previous lowest 101.5 in May 2006 then I fell off the wagon, restarted mid Aug 2011 at 122kgs; today's weight back to previous low at 101.5.

I'm just dying for that number to be 9 something!

Glenda
17-05-2012, 10:21am
You'll get there, the slower you lose it, the longer it will stay off IMO. I think we all plateau when dieting, well I know I do, and I've seen the Body Trim one and the price and decided, no. I've tried the quick start diet with success for getting over a plateau. In my case the quickest way to return to bad habits is to diet and not lose weight for a couple of weeks. I found I could stick to the quick start one for a week and twice now it has worked to get me restarted. I don't have a heap to lose, just always seem to put around 5kg on when I return from annual holidays. Eat like a queen while away but because I'm walking heaps more than normal I don't put any on. But, get home, continue to eat like a queen and next thing I'm wearing another 5kg and it seems like the whole lot is around my middle.

Kelz1990
31-05-2012, 5:03pm
Great work Odille. Keep it up :)

Mary Anne
31-05-2012, 6:31pm
You are doing well Odlile.. :th3:

la lumiere
14-06-2012, 6:01pm
Brilliant effort...very inspiring!
Really looking forward to hearing when you reach the 9.. somethings!
Nearly there! :efelant:

Analog6
15-06-2012, 5:26pm
Oh me too, hovering at 101-102kgs. I am now an 18-20 in pants, down from 26-28! And I feel great. About 2 1/2 top sizes. I have the energy now to really get going with my photography again. I picked up a treadmill today from freecycle, it needs to be looked at but the electrical guys at warwick's work are going to do it. I plan to make it into a walking workstation so during the hours I am on the net at least some of the time I'll be walking at 2-3 km an hour, constantly.