PDA

View Full Version : CC for a multi million dollar film?

etherial
03-01-2012, 9:37pm
OMG, tonight did my head in! Have you ever been to a see a movie and couldn't stop noticing the poor lighting??!

Kerrie
03-01-2012, 10:52pm
No. But I watch the camera angles now when I watch a movie and imagine a photo from certain angles etc. I can only hope soon I will notice the lighting too lol

I also noticed really bad noise and chromatic aberration on an outdoor ad sign the other day. The longer I am on this site the worst my own pics are getting ( due to recognizing quality) , but seems I cc every where I go in my head lol

Happy new year :)

Bennymiata
05-01-2012, 4:49pm
A few weeks ago, my wife and I hired blu-rays of Red Dog and the Spielberg film Super 8 and watched them one after the other.

My wife is no photography expert, but even she reckoned that the photography and image quality of Red Dog was superb, as I did too, then we watched Super 8, and boy, what a crappy production.
Not only was the quality of the images poor, but there was a consistent blue line through the centre of the screen which was an internal reflection of ther lenses used in the film.

I was so surprised that such a well-known film maker could produce such a technically poor movie, yet the Aussie production was absolutely super, and I would be very proud if I had taken stills of the same quality.

ameerat42
05-01-2012, 5:07pm
I'm sure it's cheaper to shoot everything dark these days, so you don't really notice the carppy sets. One show that comes to mind I always skipped - but by no means the only one - was the space-based "Stargate", partly for this reason, but mainly because of its useless plot.

andrewvid
06-01-2012, 8:39pm
i agree, some films just have way too little lighting, especially in those 'scary' films, sometimes it's just almost impossible to see anything!

i did i short film with one of my friends at school for a 'screen it' competition
and ever since i can't stop thinking about camera angles and lighting anytime i watch a movie!

etherial
06-01-2012, 8:52pm
I've become more tuned it over time, ever since I did some TV commercials where I was the animal handler. (It's extraordinary what goes into a 30 second ad!)

I was really looking forward to the movie on Tuesday, thinking that a Spielberg movie would be interesting to observe and inspiring, but I was really disappointed. It was mainly the use of fill and rim lighting, it was so overdone and the colour temperature was all wrong. I mean sunset in the English countryside during WWI, be a little more subtle! The war scenes were amazing, clearly the budget all went into that half of the movie!

geoffsta
06-01-2012, 8:59pm
I often find that I like going through magazines, just to look at the pictures... (Not what you are thinking) It's amazing how bad some are.
But I was looking at the age newspaper online today and was very impressed at the images by Brendon Esposito.
http://www.theage.com.au/sport/cricket/ben-hilfenhaus-destroys-india-after-michael-clarke-finds-#####-in-sachin-tendulkars-armour-20120106-1pnpw.html

agb
06-01-2012, 9:18pm
When we went to see made in Dagenham there was a blatant problem in one scene where the lighting was so wrong it was not funny. She and he talking, facing each other, but both seemed to have the light coming from the same direction. It was awful.
Though I enjoyed the rest of the file.
Apart from questioning when Canon started making their white lenses. They were prominent in this film, set in 1968 and I could not help wondering if they were white back then.