PDA

View Full Version : Hunter Valley/Maitland/Newcastle Groups?

Ang
02-01-2012, 10:32am
Hi there,
Is there a group from Hunter Valley/Maitland/Newcastle that is open to new members?
Anyone know of a group or want to start one?
I'm only a beginner, but would love to go out for a few hours with other photographers, share ideas, locations, advice etc...
Ang

gerry
02-01-2012, 8:31pm
I think there is a hunter region group on here somewhere, however there is a very active mob called Sundancers on flickr.

gerry
02-01-2012, 8:38pm
here it is, however I note you have join that one already ;)

http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/group.php?groupid=7

MiniFighter
02-01-2012, 8:48pm
here it is, however I note you have join that one already ;)

http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/group.php?groupid=7

How do i join? :o

gerry
02-01-2012, 8:55pm
click on the link above and there is a menu "Group Tools" which has a 'Join Group' option - thats the most I know!

MiniFighter
02-01-2012, 9:03pm
click on the link above and there is a menu "Group Tools" which has a 'Join Group' option - thats the most I know!

Thankyou Gerry! I am now a member..

And Ang, if your ever keen for an arvo shoot, just pm me a day or so before hand and we can tee something up! :)

Cage
02-01-2012, 9:28pm
There is a local Camera Club that meets at Maitland City Bowling Club twice per month, I think 2nd and 4th Tuesdays.

A call to the club would confirm dates. And I'm also going to join.

MiniFighter
03-01-2012, 8:30pm
Im going to head into Newcastle (foreshore) tomorrow evening if anyone wants to meet up? Not sure what im going to shoot, ill see what jumps out at me when i get there. Plan is the lighthouse, but open to other ideas.

Wayne

Ang
03-01-2012, 10:04pm
Thanks for that Kevin, I might contact them.
Wayne, sounds great, but I can't tomorrow. Look forward to seeing what you come up with.

MiniFighter
04-01-2012, 10:37pm
Didnt get bugger all, beautiful day turned to poo by early afternoon.

Got one, playing with the settings (TV) and longer exposures. Any CC or feedback welcome, i really wanna improve and 2012 is my year :cool:

http://i852.photobucket.com/albums/ab82/VTRfighter/Images/IMG_4990.jpg

Wayne
04-01-2012, 10:47pm
This one is pretty soft all over, and based on the stars around the honeysuckle shoreline, I am guessing you stopped the lens down somewhat more than necessary and that diffraction has kicked in, otherwise the focus was just off, because I can't see anything that is sharp, but you have a background sharper than the foreground, so moving the focus point closer and an appropriate f/stop would achieve a better result.

MiniFighter
04-01-2012, 10:56pm
This one is pretty soft all over, and based on the stars around the honeysuckle shoreline, I am guessing you stopped the lens down somewhat more than necessary and that diffraction has kicked in, otherwise the focus was just off, because I can't see anything that is sharp, but you have a background sharper than the foreground, so moving the focus point closer and an appropriate f/stop would achieve a better result.

Yeah, i knew it was soft..lol looked better on the view finder. Basically, it was on TV mode and all i altered was the exposure length.

Thanks for the advice, im writing it down as we speak :)

Wayne.

Wayne
04-01-2012, 11:01pm
You would be better served by using AV mode for this type of shot, because depending on what shutter speed you choose, the camera will select the f/stop, and here it has selected a small f/stop (large number) so I suspect you have chosen quite a slow shutter speed (also evidenced by the soft water).

MiniFighter
04-01-2012, 11:12pm
I wanted to use the longer exposure to blur (?) the water and make the lights sparkle. I cant seem to find how to alter expose lengths in AV mode? which is what i mainly use.

Derek-C
05-01-2012, 7:16am
The Belmont 16 Footers has a very active Photography Club Ang.

Meetimgs are on a Wednesday evening and they meet three times a month.

http://www.belmont16footers-photoclub.com.au/competitions.html

Hope this helps.

Derek

Wayne
05-01-2012, 11:07am
I wanted to use the longer exposure to blur (?) the water and make the lights sparkle. I cant seem to find how to alter expose lengths in AV mode? which is what i mainly use.

You have to remember the triangle of exposure;

shutter speed
aperture
ISO or sensitivity

The best way to achieve what you wanted would be to you manual mode, however you have to balance the above 3 elements to get what you want.
Use TV and the camera sets the aperture, so you set a slow shutter speed to smooth water, but in reasonably bright conditions like this shot, it means the camera will set a small aperture (large f-number) to restrict light entering the camera to get the correct exposure and possibly causing diffraction.

Use AV and the camera sets the shutter speed, so you set the appropriate aperture to give the right depth of field, and the camera again the brighter conditions will set the shutter speed that may not be quite slow enough to smooth rough water, but you should only need a couple of seconds.

Use manual mode and you have complete control over both AV and TV (we will leave ISO out but assume standard ISO100 for a Canon) so you set the desired aperture to get the depth of field you need, and a shutter speed slow enough to smooth the water the way you want it, but then you may be thinking how will this work, because the meter is telling me the exposure is way out?

Well here comes ISO and while you can drop to say ISO50 this isn't the best way. A better way is to use a neutral density filter (or ND) which will reduce the light entering the lens, another alternative but one that requires processing in software would be to bracket, so set exposure to get smooth water ignoring the landmass and lights, let them blow out if that's what happens, then take another shot exposing for the landmass and lights, and later blend the 2 in photoshop or similar. This method will require a tripod for best results. You can also use HDR which is similar to blending.

Hope that helps a bit..

MiniFighter
05-01-2012, 11:40am
Thanks Wayne, the feedback in the above post is very much appreciated.

Ang
06-01-2012, 3:50pm
It was a hot one that day! Glad you got out for a few shots - I love Newcastle foreshore. I don't get there enough!
Thanks Derek, will look into it. :)

old dog
06-01-2012, 4:24pm
I am always keen guys. There are a few of us who are retired but still brain active most of the time. The Flickr Sundance group are terrific and I plan to spend a lot more time with them this year....and it would be great if the AP group of lower Hunter etc had more meets as well. The Maitland group sounds good to and I might have a look at them too. I just had a look and there are 30 members of the lower hunter group. Surely we should be able to organise more meets.

Mr Felix
06-01-2012, 6:21pm
Emma,

Just reading through any upcoming meetings, etc.

Sticking my neck out a bit here......

Ok, you are in Newcastle. I am in Sydney. But!

On 21 Jan weekend there will be a bit of a get together out near Maitland.

Although not photography based, there will be some good photographic possibilities.

I can send you more details if you are interested.

It is semi-by invitation, and I am going as I am kind of a member/thingy.
It is just they don't want squillions turning up - though in some ways it would be good, but catering, etc. :o

MiniFighter
06-01-2012, 7:46pm
I am always keen guys. There are a few of us who are retired but still brain active most of the time. The Flickr Sundance group are terrific and I plan to spend a lot more time with them this year....and it would be great if the AP group of lower Hunter etc had more meets as well. The Maitland group sounds good to and I might have a look at them too. I just had a look and there are 30 members of the lower hunter group. Surely we should be able to organise more meets.

Any time your heading out Graeme give us a shout, always keen to get out :)

Wayne.