PDA

View Full Version : Melbourne New Years Eve Fireworks

hectic3
29-12-2011, 9:30pm
Is anyone keen on shooting the fireworks in the CBD this coming NYE?

There is some information outlined on the official website here: http://www.thatsmelbourne.com.au/Whatson/MajorEvents/NYE/Fireworks/Pages/fireworks.aspx

I am just investigating into some potential sites that would be good to shoot from, any suggestions?

Old Skool
29-12-2011, 9:40pm
Done it before at Docklands, set up opp Etihad Stadium somewhere, shooting across the water with Docklands Wharf / Apartments on the right and Bolte bridge in the background. Fireworks are set off from a pontoon on the water. Got good shots last time and not too crowded as everyone packs the end of the wharf in front of the James Squire Pub.

hectic3
29-12-2011, 10:03pm
Thanks for the quick reply Russell. I assume you are talking about North Pier. I was initially thinking about that place too until I saw this: http://www.thatsmelbourne.com.au/Whatson/MajorEvents/NYE/Maps/Pages/Map.aspx

It seems that they will be launching a lot of fireworks off the buildings so maybe southbank would be a good spot (it's definitely going to be too crowded).

Would it be possible to shoot on the steps of the Shrine facing the city. I know that they can be a bit strict when it comes to photography on the grounds.

Old Skool
29-12-2011, 10:24pm
I was more directly opposite end of LaTrobe St - North Pier ( North Wharf Road) could be good looking back to the city? City is hard with buildings blocking some views, I've been along the Yarra walkway from Princes bridge heading towards the MCG - not bad views along there, but packed with people!

Sammi
01-01-2012, 3:04pm
We set up over in on the shores of newtown park over in williams town, it was packed and took an hr n 1/2 befor we even bothered to turn the car on to get out but did get a few good shots of the city and the fireworks that i will post up once my account is reinstated... Happy new yrs guys

4wdexposure
05-01-2012, 11:48am
Thanks for the helpful information here. I've never been to excited about trying to capture fireworks, but given I'm trying to have a go at a few different things with my camera I thought I'd give it a go this year. The 500,000 people milling around, standing in front of you, or taking photos towards you with a flash (???) made life fairly difficult as did only having a general idea where the fireworks would be launched from. Next year its either hire a room with a balcony (difficult), or head down to Docklands.