PDA

View Full Version : Resizing Question

41jas
15-02-2008, 8:22pm
Silly me...grrrr didn't save a photo I was going to play around with. I have saved it here and on Flickr. The question I'd like to know is once resizing it down....can you resize it back up or does it lose detail and never be the same again????
I can kick myself for this. If someone knows how to do it feel free to resize and send it back to me. Look at my gallery and it is of the Ibis flying with its wings open full span.

ricktas
15-02-2008, 8:38pm
Sorry, but yes it loses detail. The more you compress it when you save it (im assuming its jpg) the worse it will be.

You can upsize it a bit, but probably not to the original size as jpg discards data, and its that missing data you would need.

41jas
15-02-2008, 8:52pm
I thought so Rick but I was hoping for some clever bum on here to fix it for me. Oh well never mind. That will teach me for not saving as I go. I'll just have to try for a better shot one day.

Oh yeah Rick. I was playing around with Elements today and worked out how to change backgrounds. I will put on a photo so you can see it. It's of a gypsy girl. I think I haded her once before but I was just playing so I can practice.

terry.langham
16-02-2008, 10:39am
Try downloading the trial of Genuine Fractals or a similar enlarging program. They should get it bigger then photoshop will without to much loss in quality.

ricktas
16-02-2008, 11:42am
Genuine Fractals is probably the best way to try. Its not cheap though for using to fix one image. And even then it can only do so much, with what its got to work with.

But Genunie Fractals is brilliant and would give you a reasonable quality larger image than you have now.

terry.langham
16-02-2008, 2:46pm
I still have the Alien Skin Blow Up trial plug in on my computer so I thought I would test it out using this example.
The first photo is the original 100% Cropped and the 2nd is the same photo that was resized to post here and then blown up in one step to 4000pixels on the long side and then a 100% crop taken.

terry.langham
16-02-2008, 2:47pm
Probably should point out that the resized one was made larger then the original file.

Helen S
17-02-2008, 10:56am
Fred Miranda's Stair Interpolation 2 works a treat as well and won't break the bank. :)

Julie-Anne, send me a copy if you want and I'll have a go at it and send it back to you if it'll do the job.