PDA

View Full Version : Minolta worth it?

blacktop
17-12-2011, 5:33pm
Hi Guys,

I have found a Minolta SR-7 with a few nice looking lenses, being a Rokkor Multi coated 58mm 1.4, Rokkor 24mm 2.8, and a Zoom I think from memory was a Vivitar 70-210 4.5-5.6

it all looks clean, maybe just a bit of dust in the lenses, but no molds to be seen, I left it because I thought the price was a bit steep, but i can't find much to compare them with, there just aren't that many early SR Minolta's around!

What in your opinion would the lot be worth in my hard earned cash?

Cheers
Brendan

ameerat42
17-12-2011, 5:59pm
Hang on a sec...

MarkChap
17-12-2011, 6:01pm
What price were they asking for, bit hard to try and gauge value for money with out the price

ameerat42
17-12-2011, 6:29pm
I knew I had this somewhere, a recently acquired specimen of my first SLR... (€100 for body, lens, cap, strap and new lightmeter battery, from a shop in Munich when I was unsuccessfully looking for something else. Sort of a consolation purchase.)

I tested it out for about 15 minutes, got him to show me a couple of lenses, talked about old (photographic) times...

So in AU$ that was about $130. I :) it.

Just make sure you test all the main things: shutter speeds not too off, light meter, mirror not catching....

blacktop
17-12-2011, 7:42pm
This SR-7 is $150 for the lot, but he said he is negotiable, depending on how hard he is doing for xmas I might be able to get him as low as $100

ameerat42
17-12-2011, 8:54pm
Fascinating! (Just had a look at it.) In good nick even $150 for that kit sounds OK. I mean, that's ancient stuff.
(Cripes, how hard up are you both?:D)

blacktop
17-12-2011, 9:15pm
in comparison to Olympus OM gear, I would think long and hard before handing over that sort of money for the equivalent package, but i have no experience with Minolta at all, so need to ask people that do, the money is not the issue, it's more the conversations that go like this

Me
"so I bought an old SR-7 Minolta and some glass for $150"

Other person
"really, I see them all the time for $50"

Tom J McDonald
17-12-2011, 9:15pm
I wouldn't pay more than 50 bucks without putting a test roll through it. Ask if you can go back and shoot some frames with different settings and check the exposure meter against one you know is working.

If not, compare the shutter with one you know is working properly, check all the light seals, see if the lenses are stopping down properly, check the advance is working etc...
Just make sure you're not buying a 150 dollar paperweight.

Tom J McDonald
17-12-2011, 9:16pm
in comparison to Olympus OM gear, I would think long and hard before handing over that sort of money for the equivalent package, but i have no experience with Minolta at all, so need to ask people that do, the money is not the issue, it's more the conversations that go like this

Me

Other person

I'd pay more than that actually for an OM1 with comparable lenses... the Zuiko 24mm 2.8 is pretty expensive.

JM Tran
17-12-2011, 11:14pm
Unless I have existing Sony DSLR gear, I would not pay for that Minolta kit honestly. You can part money for better second hand film equipment in the same/similar price range.

blacktop
18-12-2011, 6:46am
Yeah I was thinking about this last night, I already have an OM-1n, another 35mm would just be a shelf ornament, I would be better off spending the money on a nice lens for the Olympus, so I have decided to pass on it.

*removed - site rule breach*

Teal Chloe
18-12-2011, 7:47am
My grandfather owned a Minolta camera, he said it was awesome! Took it everywhere and got some good use out of it along with some great photos! But sadly, he passed away to cancer a few months ago and left it for me. I don't think it currently works, but i'de love to get it up and going!
Can anyone, also commenting on this post help me out too?
What are things i need to look at on it in order to find out the problems?

ricktas
18-12-2011, 8:10am
My grandfather owned a Minolta camera, he said it was awesome! Took it everywhere and got some good use out of it along with some great photos! But sadly, he passed away to cancer a few months ago and left it for me. I don't think it currently works, but i'de love to get it up and going!
Can anyone, also commenting on this post help me out too?
What are things i need to look at on it in order to find out the problems?

take it to a camera servicing/repair store

jjphoto
18-12-2011, 8:37am
You canfind the value of each individual item through Ebay, either completed sales or possibly from ongoing/present items. The lenses may have some value, if they can be adapted to other modern DSLR's or NEX like cameras but chances are that the body is worth very little. Minlota lenses are generally very nice (big generalisation there) so if you want to use it to shoot film then chances are you would be happy, as long as it all works.

JJ

Tom J McDonald
18-12-2011, 9:02am
Yeah I was thinking about this last night, I already have an OM-1n, another 35mm would just be a shelf ornament, I would be better off spending the money on a nice lens for the Olympus, so I have decided to pass on it.

*removed - site rule breach*

Lucky for you OM1s are the best 35mm camera ever made :)

ricktas
18-12-2011, 9:10am
Lucky for you OM1s are the best 35mm camera ever made :)

But they still produce crap, if the person pushing the shutter has no idea. Nothing beats a PHOTOGRAPHER, for getting good photos

ameerat42
18-12-2011, 9:10am
Me

Other person

Really? I thought these conversations were only mythical. How can I meet this "Other person"?

Which is to say, the choice is yours. Ultimately in this sort of thread you'll get mostly only a diatribe, with few reasons presented.

blacktop
18-12-2011, 11:27am
I have a circle of friends that all have similar interests to me, they may not buy what I would, but they all check it out because they know I might be interested, it's the same with Vintage audio (another hobby of mine) I have people asking me all the time how much this is worth? What would I pay for that?

anyway I'll stick with the Olympus for now.