PDA

View Full Version : SLR Sliders

andreav
15-12-2011, 10:45pm
I was just wondering if anyone can recommend a slider (on the cheap side) about 25" or 45" for a SLR camera.

Ta muchly in advance

ricktas
16-12-2011, 7:03am
I assume you mean a rail? : http://www.ebay.com.au/sch/sis.html?_nkw=2+W+Macro+Focusing+Rail+Slider+F+Canon+Nikon+Pentax+K4G are the cheapies (as requested)

ElectricImages
16-12-2011, 12:06pm
No, they *mean* a slider - a mini dolly-track rail used by DSLR cinematographers and videographers for performing camera moves (track, dolly and crane moves) and time-lapse videos. Unless you can find a macro rail that's 45" long. XD

General principles: get a slider that has a wide rail width for stability and strength, or it will be very finicky to set up on location, and will flex under load. If you want to save money, try one of the DIY kits based on IGUS linear bearings; I think the cost of one of these is between $200-$400, depending on options and how much you DIY.

Because almost all sliders are based on linear bearings, this is about the least you'll pay for a good, smooth, slider system. I have tried out a number of budget sliders, and the adage "he who buys cheap, buys twice" applies at the bottom of the range. :) If you want smooth, accurate camera moves, it's worth investing in a decent system; and a good slider, based on industrial linear bearing, will last you forever. :)

andreav
16-12-2011, 10:17pm
Thank you both! Yes ElectricI you're spot on. Throughout my research I did come across the IGUS. Did you try it ? Any idea where I can buy it from in Melbourne or AU in general?