PDA

View Full Version : Should I upgrade my camera body

Kenny A
12-12-2011, 11:21pm
Hi,

I'm currently using a Nikon D5000 with the standard twin len kit. I'm your average DSLR photographer doing family pic's, landscapes etc. I do like using the manual and other modes on this camera when possible and time is on my side. Again I do shot a bit of adhog video when possible, I just need to learn how to edit the files.

I was looking at upgrading the lens for this camera to include a Sigma 10-20 and a Tamron 18-270.
Whilst doing my pricing research on the lens I was faced with...do i also up grade my camera body to the new D7000.

Question: The D7000 is twice the price when compared to a D5000/5100. Is it worth the extra cash..?

Your thoughts and comments would be appreciated.

98kellrs
13-12-2011, 12:32am
What features does your current body lack? Glass is always a better investment, especially good quality ones.

Analog6
13-12-2011, 6:36am
Yes, list what things the new camera does that your current one does not. Then ask yourself will you really use those features. I'd upgrade your glass before your camera, if the body you have still does everything you want it to do.

Kenny A
13-12-2011, 7:19am
Hi,

Thanks..sound advise. I do like my D5000 and it does a great job. I'll sprend my money on the len upgrade.
I'm really excite about getting my hands on a quality wide angle lens.:xmas31:

cheers

Lazyshooter
13-12-2011, 11:27am
This is a question I am very much asking myself. The D5100 seems pretty good to me; same sensor as the D7000 in a smaller, lighter body. Several of the advantages for the D7000 are not really a big deal for me such as the screw-drive focus motor and tougher body. The D7000 though sounds like a much nicer camera to use.

At the end of the day, both the D5100 and D7000 would be a great improvement from my D40. :)

kiwi
13-12-2011, 12:20pm
I wouldnt go the tamron 18-270....ive not been that impressed with it's IQ from photos and reviews I have seen

The Nikon 18-200 seems a better all-rounder

LJG
13-12-2011, 12:44pm
I wouldnt go the tamron 18-270....ive not been that impressed with it's IQ from photos and reviews I have seen

The Nikon 18-200 seems a better all-rounder

I have to agree with Darren. My son has just upgraded to the Nikon D7000 and this lens, the 18-200 VR II, and I have to say it is pretty darned impressive. It makes a great all round carry only one lens when you go out scenario.

Caity
13-12-2011, 2:58pm
This is a great help, I've just mentioned in another forum thread about whether I should upgrade from my D5000 I love mine also, so you have decided not to upgrade is that correct? I would like to upgrade but have no particular reason too.

William
13-12-2011, 3:12pm
IMO you only need to upgrade your camera body if you have outgrown it , And is holding your photography back , A new camera is'nt going to make you a better photographer !!

I'll be upgrading soon to a full frame , I need the extra image quality that my current 30D 8.2mp camera cant produce , Thats the only reason , Well the shutter count is getting very high also seeing it was introduced in 2006 , Also a few non essential function buttons dont work either ( Guessing Salt corrosion), So it is time :D But dont just upgrade because it is newer and has more functions etc ;)

Bennymiata
13-12-2011, 4:50pm
If you're looking for a good UWA lens, have a look at the Tokina 11-17mm F2.8 as well as the Sigma.

I was tossing up between the Canon 10-22, the Sigma 10-22 and the Tokina, and after trying them all out, I liked the Tokina the best of all.
Not only is it really fast for a UWA, but the edge sharpness is also very, very good as are the colours and the contrast.

Caity
13-12-2011, 9:31pm
I think I'm with Kenny A on this one and looks like i'll be best to stick with purchasing some new lens' to work with before investing in a new body.
Also doesn't look like now is the right time to be purchasing a new Nikon body as advice from another thread tells me that the current D7000 will be upgraded next year possible...Thanks for starting this thread Kenny as you've also helped me out!
Good luck with your new lens shopping...let us know what you end up purchasing.

ricktas
13-12-2011, 9:57pm
Show us your current photography. Post some photos! If your actual skill behind the camera is lacking, getting a new camera will not make you a better photographer. Learn how to expose correctly and creatively, focus properly and compose your shots well, then if you find your gear is stopping you from improving, upgrade. But if you are upgrading cause you want/hope your new upgraded gear will make you a better photographer, forget it.

So post some photos for critique in the critique forums, and learn.

A good professional photographer (or amateur) can use a phone camera and get stunning photos, not cause of the gear, but because they understand how to take photos that have impact. The photographer is the key to great photos, not the gear!

Caity
13-12-2011, 10:13pm
I've posted one photo attached to another thread taken at the same location... you are right...what I need is to learn more about exposing, focusing and composing. I don't have that many photos that i'm happy to put up either as i've only just started getting back in to it.
My all time favourite photo is not a digital one and I haven't got a scanned copy on my computer otherwise i'd attach it, it is of the top of a car roof (not that you can tell but has water drops all over which "sparkle in the light" I will eventually get a photo of it to upload on here and seek others opinions of it. My mission is to get shots where I am as happy as I am with that one photo. I just need to keep practicing and practising and practising.

Kenny A
14-12-2011, 9:09am
Thanks to all those who have taken to time to offer somne sound advise.

No...to the body upgrade...(it was just a want)
Yes to upgrading my lens from the standard Nikon kit offering. (I'd love to buy Nikon but the budget just wont allow it)
and the new purchase has started with a - Sigma 18-200 mm f/3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM $380 new
I'm now hunting down a Sigma 10-24

Thanks again

Lazyshooter
01-02-2012, 5:19pm
Just thought I would add my experience, I recently went from the D40 to D7000. The points that I really like are; increased resolution (6 to 16 MP is a pretty big deal), better high iso performance, more buttons and dials (ablity to easily change iso is great), better metering, ability to do bracketing, video, two card slots, mirror up mode and live view. Now there are many functions on the D7000 that I am yet to use (or even know about :) ) so this list may grow in the future. All up, upgrading the body was well worth it for me.

pascal110
14-02-2012, 9:09am
Hello

if you have a twin 18/55 55/200 skip on the 18/200, Sigma 10/24? thought it was 12/24 or 10/20? 12/24 is full frame as well so extra cost not needed if you stick to dx format, get 10/20 instead, as said tokina is doing a good 11/16 .
If I was very short on budget i'd go sigma 10/20.
To be honest with you I bought an 11/16 and I barely use it at least at 11, hard to fill up the frame with that one

Cheers

PJI254
17-02-2012, 2:11pm
I have a friend who still uses a Nikon FG (film SLR) with all of the relative manual focus lenses and kit.
I always find that keeping up with the Jone's can be expensive - bloody expensive.
Saying that, I do own a Nikon D700, but I love it and if it ain't broken why change.
At the end of the day it is your call dependant on what you shoot.

Puzz1e
19-02-2012, 3:49am
The d7000 is a great body, but I would only upgrade if you are being limited by your current camera. If you are just a casual hobbyist then stick with the d5000 and get some quality glass. The kit lenses are pretty average. Any high quality lenses you buy will stick with you for many years.

Puzz1e
19-02-2012, 3:52am
Try to avoid variable aperture glass if you can. My own personal plan has to buy slowly but to buy very high quality