PDA

View Full Version : Lightroom help still needed please

Chinook
11-12-2011, 10:47am
I posted on here yesterday about a problem I was having with Lightroom.

I tried all the things i could. I also moved pics from my desk top to the external photo storage.

Now When I try and run Lightroom It comes up saying "The Lightroom Catalog names "Lightroom 3 Catalog cannot be opened because another application already has it opened.:angry0:

I cannot find this other application. I did look at what I put in the storage device and there was a file called Adobe. I delted that and uninstalled Lightroom and it still comes up with that prompt.

I have tried all I can think of and searched the net but I needs someone who uses it and perhaps knows waht i should do. I would love to be editing my pics but I am stuck.

Thank you very much for any advice.:th3:

soulman
11-12-2011, 11:52am
This is most likely a spurious message - there probably isn't another application using the catalog. Some apps set a "busy" flag when they have a file open to prevent other programs modifying the file. Most likely this busy flag has not been reset at some point. Maybe you moved the catalog when it was open in Lightroom, or maybe there has been some corruption when you moved it to the external.

I would search the Adobe Lightroom forums at Adobe in case someone else has a similar problem & fix. Failing that, perhaps start another catalogue if it's not too large.

The thing to remember with apps like Lr is that you need to try to get your head around what it needs, as far as where your images are stored and so on, and then not interfere with it. Do any file system management from within the app itself and keep this kind of stuff to a minimum.

Chinook
11-12-2011, 12:08pm
Soulman,

Thank you for that sound advice. I will do what you suggest and see how that works out. Thank you very much.:)

Chinook
11-12-2011, 6:30pm
Thanks for your help. I have sorted out the problem now. Thank goodness.:th3:

soulman
11-12-2011, 6:33pm
Good news. Did you work out why you couldn't open the old catalogue, or just create a new one?