PDA

View Full Version : Ausphotography on mobile devices

ricktas
09-12-2011, 4:57pm
As some are aware, and others may not be, we have a plugin installed on Ausphotography called Tapatalk, which offers a cleaner browsing method for members using mobile devices (phones/tablets, etc).

A few moments ago, I have added another option

Members now have two choices for mobile devices

TAPATALK (http://www.tapatalk.com/)

FORUM RUNNER (http://www.forumrunner.net/)

Both are available in the AppStore (Apple Devices) or Android Market (Android Devices). So members have a choice when accessing Ausphotography on their mobile platforms, you can use the inbuilt browser, or choose one of the above two Apps.

Ezookiel
09-12-2011, 6:49pm
Thanks Rick, I use Tapatalk. Didn't know there was another option. Might have to look at them both, but some of my favourite forums still haven't added Tapatalk, so getting them to add any other app functionality is probably a losing battle.
Thankfully AP is in the 21st Century ;)

andylo
09-12-2011, 6:56pm
I am using iPad reading forum right now. So I guess my question is, which one is bette?

ricktas
09-12-2011, 7:55pm
Thanks Rick, I use Tapatalk. Didn't know there was another option. Might have to look at them both, but some of my favourite forums still haven't added Tapatalk, so getting them to add any other app functionality is probably a losing battle.
Thankfully AP is in the 21st Century ;)

Silly eh? The forum side software for tapatalk is free. It takes about 3 minutes to register and 5 minutes to install the software on the server. They make their money, selling the user App end of the software. So there is no $$ factor in forums not adding tapatalk or forum runner etc, to their sites.

ricktas
09-12-2011, 8:13pm
I am using iPad reading forum right now. So I guess my question is, which one is bette?

For me, I found using a tablet browser in 'desktop' view the best, it just looks like it does on my laptop etc that way

gerry
09-12-2011, 9:34pm

I like forum runner for its better display of quoted text and message layout, however the image viewing leaves a bit to be desired. Tapatalk usually works well but often gets mixed up on quoted text and sometimes misses photos.

Tapatalk has the same ad (Cheap as chips) on every thread which has kinda turned me off them :/ whereas forum runner has no ads so at this point Forum runner is the winner for me.

Kym
09-12-2011, 9:47pm
Your can try the free version of Forum Runner which lets you read AP but not post.

gerry
09-12-2011, 10:00pm
Your can try the free version of Forum Runner which lets you read AP but not post.

I assume tapatalk is still the same? free to view, paid to post/upload.

ricktas
09-12-2011, 10:01pm
I like forum runner for its better display of quoted text and message layout, however the image viewing leaves a bit to be desired. Tapatalk usually works well but often gets mixed up on quoted text and sometimes misses photos.

Tapatalk has the same ad (Cheap as chips) on every thread which has kinda turned me off them :/ whereas forum runner has no ads so at this point Forum runner is the winner for me.

The cheap chips ad is from AP, I trialled the embedded ads in tapatalk using cheap chips. I can add as many of the site advertisers as are available, if you want variety?

gerry
09-12-2011, 10:18pm
The cheap chips ad is from AP, I trialled the embedded ads in tapatalk using cheap chips. I can add as many of the site advertisers as are available, if you want variety?

yep, i was aware of the fact that they are AP sponsor, thats cool i understand ads are a necessary resource but having the same one rammed down your throat everytime is a bit tiresome, so yes - bring on the variety.

Seven
21-12-2011, 10:46pm
Yep using it now as just loaded back on my phone. Great app to keep up to date, even tho i have been extremely slack and haven't posted for ages.

SamNabz
21-12-2011, 11:35pm
I assume tapatalk is still the same? free to view, paid to post/upload.

Hey Gerry, I've been using Tapatalk to visit a range of forums for a fair while now and have never been charged to start a thread, post or upload images etc.

Where did you hear that it is free to view but costs to post/upload?

ricktas
22-12-2011, 6:21am
Hey Gerry, I've been using Tapatalk to visit a range of forums for a fair while now and have never been charged to start a thread, post or upload images etc.

Where did you hear that it is free to view but costs to post/upload?

He means the FREE version of the APP, lets you view, but to post or upload you need to have the PAID version of the APP installed on your device.

chaosboi
04-01-2012, 10:21pm
I've been using Tapatalk for this forum, but just discovered the Mobile skin. I think i'm preferring the mobile skin more now as it displays photos without issue.

MiniFighter
05-01-2012, 6:04pm
Im not a fan of Tapatalk, i have just bookmarked this site to my Iphone and use it that way.

ricktas
05-01-2012, 6:19pm
I've been using Tapatalk for this forum, but just discovered the Mobile skin. I think i'm preferring the mobile skin more now as it displays photos without issue.

The mobile skin is only a new addition to the site software, up till recently, the only option was really tapatalk. We now offer several options and it allows members to choose the option that best suits them

Kym
05-01-2012, 6:36pm
An upgrade to the mobile skin will come with the next site upgrade expected late January or early February.

Art Vandelay
08-01-2012, 7:58pm
One thing that drives me mad with tapatalk, is the way images are displayed if hosted on flickr.
If you click on an image in a post, it then opens the flickr site in safari, then you have to expand the image, then close safari & go back and open tapatalk again.
If an image is posted as an attachment it's fine, or most other image host sites are fine. You just expand the photo and it stays in tapatalk.
Thinking about it, it's probably flickrs fault as I already hate them anyway. :D

ok, rant over.

Does anyone know if this other Forum Runner software does this with Flickr ?

Kym
08-01-2012, 8:57pm
Try forum runner for free, but you can't post unless you get the paid version :th3:

Art Vandelay
08-01-2012, 9:50pm
Just tried it Kym. ta

Looks to be more flickr friendly than Tapatalk. :)