PDA

View Full Version : What can I expect

blacktop
08-12-2011, 8:08pm
Hi all,

I'd like to know what the results of fungus on a lens looks like on the final print, I purchased an Olympus OM-1n not too long ago, and went crazy taking pics with Fuji Superia 200, and only after I have gone through 3 rolls I realised all the lenses I used have fungus on the glass...

I'm still new to photography and never really thought about this when taking pics, but after a google search on the camera, I was lead to links describing this issue, but cant really find what the effects of it are on the final print...

some pictures of what I can expect would be great!

ricktas
08-12-2011, 8:25pm
First off, keep that lens away from all your gear. Fungus produces spores, which are generally tiny to microscopic, and they can very easily transfer from one lens to another, and eventually all your gear is infected.

Depending on the amount of fungus, the result may either not be visible, or completely ruin every photo.

I think the more serious matter here is ensuring this lens (and the Oly OM-1) are now isolated from your other gear, till you get them professionally cleaned and de-fungused, otherwise your risk a bigger problem

blacktop
08-12-2011, 8:44pm
crap

that's not good news!, most of it has been kept apart form my DSLR stuff, so I should be safe there.

do you know what chemicals they use to de-fungus photography gear? I have access to many fungicides, so I might be able to do this myself.

Tom J McDonald
08-12-2011, 9:35pm
Are the lenses particularly valuable?
I had a Zuiko 50 1.8 that was completely filled with fungus so I took it apart (very easy) and scraped and cleaned it all off. If it was a lens I had a bit of coin invested in, like the 85 f/2 or the 90 f/2, I'd get it cleaned by a pro (or inspect it before I bought it).

As to whether the pics are OK. Get the prints and find out! :confused013

blacktop
08-12-2011, 9:40pm
most of the pics where taken with the 50mm 1.4, I tried cleaning it myself, but I can't get the fungus off without some sort of chemical, I sort of gave up at that point, and thought if it's cheap enough I'll just get it cleaned by a pro. I have been quoted $140, which is the value of the replacement lens pretty much, so I might as well do it I guess.

Tom J McDonald
08-12-2011, 9:49pm
Fungus, if left for too long, will permanently damage the glass, so you might want to check the condition of the glass elements before paying for a clean that may not actually cure the problem.