PDA

View Full Version : Nikon D5100

Banjo
04-12-2011, 12:48pm
The man in the red suit has my D5100 wrapped up ... and hidden away:Doh:Hello Dug, :gday: we'll have to go out for a shoot in the new year:)

mongo
04-12-2011, 4:49pm
Glad Santa is bringing you something. Mongo thinks he as been bad again this year and is not on his list. Mongo had thought about a 5100 and probably would have bought one except that they do not function sufficiently with older Ai and AI-s lenses which Mongo still likes to use often.

BTW - just slip Santa Mongo's address anyway. If Mongo cannot get a present, he can at least taste his reindeer. :ps: :D

ricktas
04-12-2011, 5:18pm
I've been naughty this year too, Mongo, but by god, it was worth it...hehehe

Enjoy the 5100 banjo!

Crystal
05-12-2011, 6:51pm
I got mine last week for my birthday.... I love it. (no idea what I'm doing with it yet though!)
I took a photo of my Christmas tree, and when I zoom in I can see my reflection in one of the baubles! Big improvement on my iPhone 3GS camera!

Bennymiata
06-12-2011, 12:19pm
You'll enjoy the 5100 Banjo.

Do you know why Santa Claus is such a happy guy?

Because he knows where all the bad girls live! :D

If I'm lucky, I might get a kiss from my wife for Xmas...................................
Guess I haven't been naughty enough!

CarmineD
10-12-2011, 6:06pm
Greetings all

I recently got a 5100 and was wondering if anyone had tried to fit older lenses on the body. I have an AI-S lens and a pre 1970 lens and while they both fit, the shutter does not release. I have seen info on the net saying that they should work. Any one else with the same experience?

ricktas
10-12-2011, 6:20pm
Greetings all

I recently got a 5100 and was wondering if anyone had tried to fit older lenses on the body. I have an AI-S lens and a pre 1970 lens and while they both fit, the shutter does not release. I have seen info on the net saying that they should work. Any one else with the same experience?

What mode are you trying to use (on the camera), you need to be in complete manual mode

mongo
10-12-2011, 9:40pm
What mode are you trying to use (on the camera), you need to be in complete manual mode

and it is possible that you will have to manually meter the light reading ?? - other than that, it should work Mongo thinks (but has not tried it himself). The spec sheet should tell all if you have got one . Look under "non-cpu lenses"

J.davis
10-12-2011, 11:57pm
Make sure tha lenses are set to their smallest apeture (ie F22) or the camera won't recognise them.

arthurking83
11-12-2011, 7:44am
Make sure tha lenses are set to their smallest apeture (ie F22) or the camera won't recognise them.

This is only for CPU lenses.

For full manual lenses, you choose the aperture via the aperture ring on the lens.

Camera needs to be set to manual aperture value needs to be set prior to shooting and shutter speed needs to be set by the operator to a value that gives a good exposure.

Exposure meter in the camera won't work, so as Mongo said, you have to predict the exposure.

Easy as, just get a reference reading via a cpu'ed lens to begin with so you have a rough starting point.

Note that I've noticed that (in general), most older ais type lenses are brighter than current kit lenses.
That is, if you only have kit lenses to play with, and you mount an ais lens after your reference meter reading, you may find that your ais lenses may be as much as 1 stop faster.

There are models higher up in the product range that allow the user to set manual lens info into the camera and this allows most of the usual functions to work properly.
I think this now begins with the D7000 body, and all the pro bodies offer this feature.

CarmineD
16-12-2011, 11:38pm
Thanks all, you were all correct. Now that I have had a bit of time with the camera, when you fit the lens you get prompted to hit the ? button. When you press it, it tells you that you can only use it in M mode. Now I have to find an easy way to get an exposure reading, let you know what i come up with.

fess67
16-12-2011, 11:51pm
If Mongo cannot get a present, he can at least taste his reindeer. :ps: :D

Talk to Kiwi - I think his kid is done with santa, maybe he will divert the reindeer!! :devil6:

Bennymiata
17-12-2011, 8:31pm
Or you can just buy an old light-meter.
There must be hundreds of old, used ones around.