PDA

View Full Version : SDHC Cards

desdichato
30-11-2011, 3:16pm
G'Day All,

I have got a 2 year old D-90 and I usually use the fastest SDHC (at the moment it's class 10) but I purchased a San Disk 8Gb Extreme Pro recently and I am beginning to wonder whether it's a case of overkill.

I guess what I would like to know is there any point in getting the latest and fastest cards if your camera isn't the latest.

Any thoughts????

Thanks

P

I @ M
30-11-2011, 5:38pm
Camera bodies come and go, you either wear them out or succumb to having to have the latest and greatest model and replace them.

Memory cards tend to out last camera bodies and if you have the best now you may not have to buy anything better in the way of cards when you upgrade your body.

RRRoger
03-12-2011, 1:49pm
Only problem I see with buying a faster card than you need is
that by the time the camera comes out that needs it will cost way less.

If you already have it, get a fast card reader and enjoy the fast uploads to your computer.

ricktas
03-12-2011, 2:24pm
High card speeds are necessary for video capture, or high frame rate stills.

The other thing is that a higher speed card can be downloaded to your computer faster. Note that many card speed ratings are the READ speed, not the write speed.

In the end you are limited by the speed that your camera can write to the card, and the speed that you can download to your computer (usually USB2 speeds). I use a USB3 card reader and it is fast!

So the benefits of a fast card are for video, and then for getting the information off the card, rather than how fast it can write.

reaction
19-01-2012, 12:06pm
HD video only requires class 4.
D90 can write about 15MB/s. most brand class10 can exceed that.

I find no need for fast read, so won't pay for it.

RRRoger
19-01-2012, 12:50pm
Only problem I see with buying a faster card than you need is
that by the time the camera comes out that needs it will cost way less.

The faster camera has been announced.
The D4 can write over 200MBs.
However, it uses Compact Flash and XQD not SD cards.

K10D
20-01-2012, 10:21am
HD video only requires class 4.
D90 can write about 15MB/s. most brand class10 can exceed that.

I find no need for fast read, so won't pay for it.

A Sandisk 16Gb SDHC (class 10) is $40, that's not a big price to pay? http://www.7dayshop.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=777_6&products_id=111130

Best regards

MattNQ
20-01-2012, 10:28am
Wandering slightly off topic, TopBuy currently has Kingston 16Gb class 10 SDHC for $22.95 (+1.99 postage)
Are the Kingston's any good?

Danielle10
20-01-2012, 1:54pm
Wandering slightly off topic, TopBuy currently has Kingston 16Gb class 10 SDHC for $22.95 (+1.99 postage)

I'm a firm believer of "you get what u pay for"

ricktas
20-01-2012, 2:27pm

Kingston brand has been around for years. They do tend to offer a cheap alternative, but at the same time, I have not heard of anyone having issues with Kingston cards, more frequently than other brands. Any card can fail..no matter how expensive or what brand it has stamped on it

Bennymiata
21-01-2012, 9:25pm
I've bought a few of the Kingston Class 10 cards off Top Buy, and they have all performed really well, and I can shoot video until the card runs out!
No stopping and they seem to download pretty quickly too.

For $20 odd, what can you lose?

I think that Sandisk, while very good, are overpriced for what they are.

ricktas
22-01-2012, 8:19am
Another thing to consider is that most cards are made in the same factories. Often these companies (Kingston, etc) do not even make the cards.

How it works, CF cards as an example. Samsung developed the CF format and own the patents to it. Nearly all CF cards are made in a Samsung factory. There are some companies that have contracted the rights to make their own, under license to Samsung. So say they are making thousands of 16GB cards to a 300x specification. Once each card is made it is tested, if it is consistent at 300x, it gets to be sold to a vendor as a 300x, if it doesn't quite get up to speed, it is labelled as 150x and sold.

These cards are then all labelled up by Sandisk. Kingston, RiData, and more, and sold to the consumer, but they all started life in the same factory, on the same run job.

You will often find the really cheap cards are the 'rejects', but most often there is zero wrong with them, other than they did not pass higher specification checks.