PDA

View Full Version : Nikon SB 900 Misfiring

scpleta
27-11-2011, 9:41am
Hello Guys,

I have been using my SB 900 for almost over a year. All is well until now.:scrtch: I get an intermittent misfiring from the SB 900 (attached on my camera or using it off-camera).

Anyone who had the same experience and how did you solve the issue.

Thanks in advance!

Sean

ricktas
27-11-2011, 9:44am
overheating? firing off to many shots at a high FPS?

We need to know more about the settings used and circumstances.

scpleta
27-11-2011, 9:55am
Thanks for your swift reply Rick.

But it's basically using it normally as we usually do. No overheating occurring except for just three occasions.

Settings is usually either bounce flash (TTL,BP) or when using it off-camera (TTL).

The usual scenario is plainly taking photos during occasions and whenever I take some portraits where the main light source is the SB900.

Does this help with your query?

98kellrs
27-11-2011, 11:58am
Ok, when you say it's mis-firing are you meaning that it doesn't fire but stays turned on (communication issue), the speedlight turns off (power issue) or it just fires randomly (speedlight has probably taken some form of narcotics).

Wayne
27-11-2011, 12:31pm
If you are using PW MiniTT1 on camera and or FlexTT5 to trigger the batteries in the triggers may be getting flat. I had the same issue with remote use while using my PW triggers, the strobe would just randomly for no reason fire a single burst. I changed the batteries and no more issues. I didn't get the issue when on camera though obviously.

If yours is strobing for no reason, I suspect that the pins (trigger pin) on the base of the SB-900 is shorting on something. Also just make sure the batteries in the SB-900 are not near dead.

zollo
27-11-2011, 2:33pm
I have an sb600 that does this. when I look at the lcd panel I notice that its stuck in standby mode. I haven't been able to figure out why yet. don't know if yours is the same issue but have a look at the lcd panel next time it doesn't fire.

scpleta
27-11-2011, 3:17pm
thanks for all your comments guys!

actually, when i say misfiring, it intermittently fires and in some cases, it doesn't.

just now, i discovered that the modelling light (by pressing the DOF preview button of my D300 camera) doesn't seem to work as well. the settings of both the camera and flash are all good.

i haven't dropped the unit ever since and have been careful handing it. :confused013

Wayne
27-11-2011, 4:21pm
To test the modelling light function on the flash there is a feature in the menu.

Hold down the "OK" button until it enters the menu;
Turn the jog wheel until it selects the menu with the person on left and a lightning bolt on right with 2 options being "Flash" or "Modeling"
Select "Modeling" and press ok
Now trigger the flash with the red trigger button and it should act as a modeling light, just return it to "Flash" when done.

scpleta
30-11-2011, 5:26pm
Hold down the "OK" button until it enters the menu;
Turn the jog wheel until it selects the menu with the person on left and a lightning bolt on right with 2 options being "Flash" or "Modeling"
Select "Modeling" and press ok
Now trigger the flash with the red trigger button and it should act as a modeling light, just return it to "Flash" when done.

Yup. I've done this one as well but the modelling light doesn't seem to work (off-camera) when I press the DOF preview in the camera (the modelling flash option in the camera is set to ON). The flash would just give one flash and that's all. No modelling flash. :confused013

In some instances (and this is eratic), it does give a good flash (good exposure) and sometimes, it just misfires. When i say misfire, there is flash (I would assume this is the pre-flash) but the next flash doesn't seem to be sync with the shutter. Why did I say this? The picture doesn't indicate that there is a flash (thus, underexposed). :scrtch:

I'm beginning to suspect that the flash may be faulty. If that's the case, is there any authorised Nikon service centre around Melb? That way, I could have the camera serviced as well.

Cheers all!