PDA

View Full Version : Grayscale versus desaturate in LR2

mcmahong
26-11-2011, 5:31pm
Hi everyone.

I'm processing a bunch of photos from a friend's wedding.

To make B&W images in the past, I've usually used LR2 and completely desaturated the image, then used the WB to play with relative tones (as well as normal level adjustments).
I've never used the grayscale option, mainly because of ignorance. I notice I can do the same thing, but the result for the same WB adjustments is different between grayscale and 100% desaturated colour.

Is there a preferred option for making a B&W image? I can't really work out if there are flaws or benefits in either method.

I'm keeping this to Lightroom processing, as I don't have time to export all these photos to PS.

Just looking for any opinions.

cheers

ricktas
26-11-2011, 5:35pm
Have a look at some of the presets that come with LR..down the left side, in the develop module. Some of the B&W presets are quite good.

fillum
26-11-2011, 7:05pm
Like Rick said, what I generally do these days is preview the built-in presets till I get something close to what I have in mind then "fiddle" with the settings. Some of the presets use desaturation and some use the "B&W" option (I assume that's what you mean by "grayscale").

I think the B&W option gives more control over individual tones but I haven't looked into it in any real depth.

The "Split Tone" settings can give some really cool looks, so give them a try as well.

Cheers.

ameerat42
26-11-2011, 9:07pm
Dunno if it's worth much, but before turning a pic into monochrome I usually look at the different channels for a bit of a guide. I use P'shop, but surely L'room has the facility.

mcmahong
28-11-2011, 11:29am
Like Rick said, what I generally do these days is preview the built-in presets till I get something close to what I have in mind then "fiddle" with the settings. Some of the presets use desaturation and some use the "B&W" option (I assume that's what you mean by "grayscale").

I think the B&W option gives more control over individual tones but I haven't looked into it in any real depth.

The "Split Tone" settings can give some really cool looks, so give them a try as well.

Yes, I believe that's the same thing. In LR2, it's called grayscale. It may be different for newer versions.
I've played with some of those presets, but rarely do they match what I'm after. I guess it depends on the nature of the photo... high-key, low-key, high contrast, etc... I know there are also downloadable presets out there, so maybe I should hunt a variety of those down too, and look under the bonnet at what drives the different effects.

I haven't thought about the split tone option for B&W, so will definitely check that out. Thanks.

mcmahong
28-11-2011, 10:29pm
I just found this, which gives a pretty good explanation of what I'm looking for.
http://layersmagazine.com/create-stunning-black-and-white-images-in-lightroom.html

fillum
29-11-2011, 1:00am
Oops, sorry Ged. I read your post as "LR3" (not sure if it's my eyes or brain - both are becoming increasingly unreliable :D). Glad you found the info you wanted...

Cheers.