PDA

View Full Version : Dog beaches / parks in Melbourne

ScottM
25-11-2011, 5:07pm
Hi all,

Sadly, I lost my 7 year old jack russell cross last weekend to a snake bite :(

My other dog, a 10 year old springer spaniel - border collie cross earlier this week, through the stress finshing the cataract development process, totally lost sight in one eye and almost totally in the other and more by the day. He and I will be in Melbourne in mid December so he can have cataract surgery.

He needs to stay for 3 days after surgery for checkups. Two nights we'll be in a hotel I found that accepts dogs (Albany Hotel), and also a hire car place that will accept dogs in their cars (Rent a Bomb haha).

There seem to be quite a few beaches that permit dogs on or off leash in the Melbourne area but prohibit them between 10AM and 7.30PM.

Does anyone know of any bushy parks or beaches fairly close to the city where dogs are allowed overnight? (He's used to our 30 acres bush/pasture, and I know he'll feel like a run a couple days after the op.)

Thanks in advance...

Scott.

Allie
25-11-2011, 7:00pm
Hi Scott, condolence on the loss of your Jack Russell, that would have been a terrible thing to happen. Sorry, I can't help with beaches or parks close to Melbourne - there are plenty on the Mornington Peninsula but that is a fair distance from Melbourne.

Are you sure he will be allowed to run after this surgery or visit a beach?? I read the following plus there is the issue of possibly detaching the retina with too much movement too soon after surgery or getting sand in his eye. I know you want the best for your dog but this is expensive surgery and you want the best outcome possible. All the best.

Postoperative Care
Following cataract surgery you will have a lot of work to do to help achieve a good outcome for your pet. For the first four weeks after surgery, a protective Elizabethan collar must be worn at all times to prevent self-mutilation and accidental ocular trauma. Patients must be severely restricted in their activities and avoid any running, jumping, excess barking or rough-play. Several different types of eye drops will need to be administered 3-4 times daily for the first month and then the frequency of administration will gradually be reduced. Many dogs will remain on anti-inflammatory eye drops once to twice daily for several months following surgery. Many will require them for life.

ScottM
25-11-2011, 7:12pm
Hi Allie,

Thanks for your sympath :(

I wouldn't want him running far, I think I've read just that postop care bit too. After being in the city at the vets, I thought if we could spend half a day or so outside in a park he'd relax a bit more and get back to normal. He's not really a swimmer, but on second thoughts sand wouldn't be good for him, though the salt might be. Will keep looking for parks.

Thanks again :)

Allie
26-11-2011, 3:09pm
Best wishes, Scott. My dog recently had a TPLO (basically a cruciate repair) and was restricted for 8 weeks so I know how difficult it can be for active dogs.

ScottM
28-11-2011, 1:48pm
Thanks Allie; as it happens the vet ophthalmologist was coming to Hobart next week for consultations and I made a tentative surgery booking for the following week. He's gotten a bit down and struggling the last couple days. Not surprising really.

The council web sites tend to list their beaches and parks, but not with much info, and all individually rather than a table with (eg) "dogs allowed off lead 24 hours". Might just have to trawl through them all for a few councils...

Cruciate repairs seem to very common for dogs! I hope yours has recovered now?

Allie
28-11-2011, 7:56pm
Our council has a glossy A3 leaflet with a map and what rules apply at each location so maybe if you contact the appropriate council for where you will be they may be able to send you something before you come over here. Have you seen this site? (http://doggo.com.au/) It lists quite a few dog friendly locations Australia wide - I haven't used it myself so I don't know it it is any good. I lived in Clifton Hill quite a few years ago which is not too far from the city (if you will have access to a car) and there are lots of walking tracks and park lands there along Merri Creek and the Yarra but I would stick to the paths rather than the very grassy areas.

I suppose your SS/BC is missing the JR too! I have even heard sometimes a sighted dog will help the sight impaired one by in ways we are unaware. All the best.

nzmacro
29-11-2011, 7:55pm
Oh dear not nice. Sad to know Scott. Very sorry.

ScottM
30-11-2011, 1:52pm
Our council has a glossy A3 leaflet with a map and what rules apply at each location so maybe if you contact the appropriate council for where you will be they may be able to send you something before you come over here. Have you seen this site? (http://doggo.com.au/) It lists quite a few dog friendly locations Australia wide - I haven't used it myself so I don't know it it is any good. I lived in Clifton Hill quite a few years ago which is not too far from the city (if you will have access to a car) and there are lots of walking tracks and park lands there along Merri Creek and the Yarra but I would stick to the paths rather than the very grassy areas.

I suppose your SS/BC is missing the JR too! I have even heard sometimes a sighted dog will help the sight impaired one by in ways we are unaware. All the best.

Hi Allie,
I hadn't heard of that site before, but it's definitely useful to have. There look to be a few locations suitable. I've arranged a hire car that I can have him in, hotel that he can be in etc, so will be able to get around. I hadn't heard of Merri Creek so will check out around that area too.
Have thought whether I should find a cheap tablet/netbook so I can check different things while over there.
He would be missing my other one - but he is coping okay, getting happier and more adventurous again. Can't keep a good SS/BC down, isn't that the saying? :)

ScottM
30-11-2011, 1:54pm
Oh dear not nice. Sad to know Scott. Very sorry.

Thanks NZMacro. It has been a sad week and a half, but we're both getting there slowly...