PDA

View Full Version : WA fires Nov 2011

Analog6
25-11-2011, 8:45am
Do we have any members in the south west region of WA? Hope anyone in the area is OK and their homes too.

Reports on the fires here (http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/a/-/newshome/11996534/shattered-margaret-river-faces-third-day-of-fire-hell/)

ricktas
25-11-2011, 8:59am
thanks for the thread Odille, I too, hope that everyone stays safe. Houses can be rebuilt, but lives cannot!

Tikira
25-11-2011, 9:02am
I was only thinking about AP members that may be caught up in the WA fire situation last night.
Take care and stay safe everyone.

Di

peterking
26-11-2011, 11:54pm
As best I can remember there are no members living in the actual area but i may be wrong. Lots living just north of it.
I have family in Augusta and they have friends in the area but I don't know any details at present.
On Thursday there were in fact 6 fires burning in Western Australia. One in the Nannup region had taken out over 20,000 hectares. The smoke plume was described to me by my sister in Augusta, 40km away, as reminiscent of a Nuclear explosion cloud.
Today, Sat, in Perth we had a health warning as the smoke cloud had been blown north overnight.
I know the area extremely well and did spot the smoke cloud whilst in Gracetown on Monday on my way back from visiting in Augusta. Little did I know when I saw it, just what it would lead to. The loss of Wallcliffe House is probably the greatest loss as it was a magnificent old building and I always wondered at it's beauty and location whenever I went to Prevely.
Don't know how I'm going to handle the next visit as I will have to go through the area just to see what has happened. Have lots of friends in the area but none of them have lost anything that I know of.

Tommo1965
27-11-2011, 1:11am
I was speechless when I heard on the radio that much of this is the aftermath of a controlled burn by FESA gone tits up ..theres gonna be some heads rolling cause of that