PDA

View Full Version : Ausphotography Forum structure..some housekeeping. I want members thoughts, please

ricktas
25-11-2011, 6:50am
I am looking at doing a bit of housekeeping of the forums (http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/index.php). What I hope to do is tidy up the forum structure a bit.

What we have so far is below:

- Put employment opportunities as a sub-forum of Business of Photography

- Put tutorials and photoshop tutorials as sub-forums of Post Processing Help

Happy to hear your thoughts on this, and any other suggestions, ideas that would tidy up the forums in any way. Anything can be suggested, including removing a forum completely, moving the order, combining some, adding new ones.

I just want to hear your thoughts on how we can make the forums tidier and more relevant, in order, topic, content and structure.

rene52
25-11-2011, 6:58am
Not sure you can improve it much more. The forum main topics are great and then the break down into other sub-topics is a great idea. I do a bit of IR photography and haven't seen a sub-topic for that area of photography but I suppose I haven't seen many other IR photos either so maybe I just have to put them in Sundry for the time being. I realise that there are quite a few topics and it does need to be controlled - you guys are doing a great job.

geoffsta
25-11-2011, 8:14am
Yep.. I agree with the employment opportunities, and photoshop tutorials.
I would like to see a forum for Time Lapse Photography. As we are getting a few of these lately.
Just a thought.

Wayne
25-11-2011, 8:17am
Makes sense Rick. :th3:

ricktas
25-11-2011, 8:19am
Yep.. I agree with the employment opportunities, and photoshop tutorials.
I would like to see a forum for Time Lapse Photography. As we are getting a few of these lately.
Just a thought.

The issue with adding more Photography forums is that if I add time-lapse, then someone will want HDR, and someone else will want long exposure..and on it goes. The photography forums are currently more aimed at genre, rather than method, so keeping it that way seems simpler, and means HDR, Time Lapse etc can go into the relevant forum based on subject matter. But happy to hear what others think

geoffsta
25-11-2011, 1:28pm
The issue with adding more Photography forums is that if I add time-lapse, then someone will want HDR, and someone else will want long exposure..and on it goes. The photography forums are currently more aimed at genre, rather than method, so keeping it that way seems simpler, and means HDR, Time Lapse etc can go into the relevant forum based on subject matter. But happy to hear what others think

I tend to disagree. Time lapse is a completely different genre to the likes of HDR. HDR is closer to a panaramic when all is said and done. The end result of a HDR is still a still image. Where as a time lapse end product is a video. You cannot hang a time lapse on your wall (Unless you have buckets of money)

Another 2 bob.

kiwi
25-11-2011, 1:36pm
I thinkm the key objective should be towards simplification

For example, and i know it's radical

Animimalia
People
Places
Sport
Other

is all that's required in the pictures section

and

photography related
other

in the non pictures section

Kym
25-11-2011, 1:42pm
Time lapse is a special case, but still they usually fall into a genre.
The genre structure works very well.

Also: You can use the tag system for marking threads with specific method. I.e. put HDR or Time Lapse into the thread tags then they can be found with ease.

old dog
25-11-2011, 2:09pm
what about travel? Could there be a specific travel section as many of us travel and have lots of great pics that others can enjoy as well.

William
25-11-2011, 2:22pm
I agree with Graeme, All overseas images should be in one section, EG : Travel, After all it is Australian Photography , Just my opinion :umm:

kiwi
25-11-2011, 2:34pm
meh, travel, its either an animal, a person or a place

I travel to my letterbox to take photos sometimes

Xenedis
25-11-2011, 5:13pm
I wouldn't use the term 'genre' to described HDR or time-lapse images.

HDR is (mostly) a post-processing technique, and time-lapse is a capture technique.

I'd agree that using genre as a classification technique works well. When you go to the video shop (for those who still do), you look in 'action', 'comedy', etc. You don't look in the non-existent 'movies that were made with a 16mm camera' or 'movies with advanced post-production techniques' sections.

The challenge, when classifying something, is in determining just how granular or limited in scope you want to be.

Invariably, someone will consider whatever's decided upon to be too limited in quantity, or too great, such that there are just too many forums. I'm sure Rick is prepared for that reality.

Perhaps something can be done with 'Tutorials', 'Photoshop Tutorials' and 'Post-Processing Help', as there tends to be a degree of overlap there. Those sections are basically about how to do something, so maybe they can be condensed into sections on the camera capture phase, and the post-processing and image management phase.

Kiwi,

You forgot Landscape in your list. I gather you don't shoot landscapes. Others do. 'Nuff said.

William,

I'm not sure what merit exists in categorising images based on where they were taken. Some Australian photographers, shoot overseas. If I photographed the Eiffel Tower, the classifications 'Travel', 'Architecture' or even 'Landscape' (cityscape) could apply.

Does your interpretation of 'Australian Photography' mean only 'images captured in Australia'?

98kellrs
25-11-2011, 5:21pm
I agree with Graeme, All overseas images should be in one section, EG : Travel, After all it is Australian Photography , Just my opinion :umm:

Then our overseas members would constantly have to post in the travel section? I think travel is much like photojournalism, it's another type of photography, but isn't a subject genre.

Personally I'd like to see some sub-forums in Transport and Sport and Action. Often the thread title is somewhat vague and misleading and I really am not interested in pictures of horseriding or old cruise ships for example. Maybe I should just use the tag system more? :confused013

ricktas
25-11-2011, 5:21pm
As suggested by Kym, if members get in the habit of tagging their threads as they create them, we have a powerful search feature in that alone. If every one tagged their photos taken in France for example, a quick tag search would find all of them for those interested. On the site home page we have a tag cloud that increases the size of the font relative to how many times the word has been used as a tag recently.

The tagging system built into the site is very powerful and a great way to find relevant threads and photos, but perhaps we need to encourage members to use it more frequently, in particular when they post photo threads.

98kellrs
25-11-2011, 5:40pm
I've seen other forums auto-populate the tag fields with the words in the thread title. This can help massively, however it does rely on people accurately spelling/describing their subject in the thread title. The good thing is that a thread title can be changed if it is grossly vague.

Either that or you could makle tagging a complusory field when creating a new thread?

Xenedis
25-11-2011, 5:43pm
I mostly use the tag system when I post an image, but sometimes I find the limitation of five tags, err, limiting.

I tend to very liberally tag my image pages on Flickr with relevant, useful tags.

I cannot say I've used the tag cloud here or searched by tag, but as long as it's useful to others, that's enough incentive to continue tagging.

kiwi
25-11-2011, 6:04pm
Actually I did

Landscapes go in "places"

sunny6teen
26-11-2011, 12:11am
Re: photos
I agree with Kiwi (statistically, it was bound to happen eventually :D). other forums have gone down the path of creating loads of categories but no one visits them all. whatever the first 5 or so on the page is where the traffic is.
simplify.
we're just here to check out each other photos...it's not a travel brochure. the himalayas or my back garden - why should it matter?
be it a lion in the wild or your pet gerbil. who cares? the only interest is the resulting image and how it was taken.
fans of night photography don't have anything against sunlight do they? ;)