PDA

View Full Version : Enlarger for 6xx6 / medium format

kaiser
15-11-2011, 10:09pm
Hey Guys/gals,

I'm looking for an enlarger to do some wet printing from 6x6 / 120 film negatives. B&W only.

I've found a couple of good enlarging lenses in the 80mm range - which I believe is the most important part of the equation - but any reccommendations on the actual enlarger.

A smaller footprint would be beneficial (setting up in a bathroom), and I probably wont be printing larger than 12-16".
Also, are there any accessories I need to make sure it comes with when buying second hand? Glass holders etc?

thanks!

sunny6teen
16-11-2011, 12:54am
quite right. enlargers are like cameras - it's all about the lens. Schneider, Rodenstock and Nikon with 6 elements should be your preference.
on one hand, it sounds like this will be your first enlarger. on the other hand, your moniker (kaiser) is a brand of enlarger. so who knows what I'm supposed to think :D

If it's your first, maybe stick with something simple (and popular so it's easy to google info etc) like a Beseler 23C series. it makes parts easier to get as well.
as for the footprint...you really need a decent baseboard as there's quite a bit of weight on it. you don't want vibrations of the head tipping over.

kaiser
16-11-2011, 1:36am
Thanks Tony. If I'm only doing b&w, do I still need a colour head. I'll have a look at Beseler- I've found a couple of Durst 605s on that auction site and will check classifieds too. Yep it's my first foray into darkroom printing. :)

jjphoto
16-11-2011, 7:52am
I still have an LPL 6x7 dichroic head enlarger, can't remember the exact model, maybe LPL 6700 or LPL C67, some thing like that.

The value of the dichroic head is in the fact that it makes it much easier to use multigrade papers as changing the contrast is a simple matter of changing the colours in the head. Otherwise you have to buy the filters and have a tray in the enlarger for them. The LPL enlargers are very solid and reliable and I would certainly recommend one. I'm sure they're very cheap these days.

Which lens do you have?

JJ

StanW
16-11-2011, 9:21am
The Beseler 23 is a great enlarger, but it's large, and you m ight not have space. The LPLs are also good machines,
and their dichroic heads make using multigrade paper easy.
Get the best lens you can afford.

kaiser
16-11-2011, 10:18am
Thanks John and Stan. I haven't actually bought the lens yet - but I have my eye on a few auction ones- Rodenstock Rodagon (non APO) 80mm, the Nikkor EL- 80mm/4 and the Schneider 80mm - all around the $120 mark.

I haven't been able to find any LPs but there are a couple of Dursts local for around $200 - is that a good price? I have no idea when it comes to this stuff - new territory to me.
The Durst Im looking at comes with the the proper lens board for an 80mm lens and it has a glass 6x6 neg holder.

jjphoto
16-11-2011, 11:33am
Thanks John and Stan. I haven't actually bought the lens yet - but I have my eye on a few auction ones- Rodenstock Rodagon (non APO) 80mm, the Nikkor EL- 80mm/4 and the Schneider 80mm - all around the $120 mark.

I haven't been able to find any LPs but there are a couple of Dursts local for around $200 - is that a good price? I have no idea when it comes to this stuff - new territory to me.
The Durst Im looking at comes with the the proper lens board for an 80mm lens and it has a glass 6x6 neg holder.

I have the Rodenstock APO-Rodagon-N 80/4 and although it is an excellent lens it is still best stopped down a couple of stops. The difference in performance is significant. I would guess that the non APO version would perform a little worse.

The Schneider Componon-S line of lenses is extremely good. I would personaly opt for a 100/5.6 Componon-S but this makes it a little harder to make large prints, compared to a 75/80mm lens.

There won't be a huge amount of difference in the performance of the lenses you mentioned but stay away from Rodenstock Rogonars, Schneider Componars or similar 'cheaper' lines of lenses. Any 6 element lens should be fine.

JJ

sunny6teen
17-11-2011, 12:50am
the durst 606 was pretty small if I remember correctly. handy for converting motel bathrooms into darkrooms when on the road.
not my first choice but if space is an issue...
I can't remember what size it was though (someone here might). I may have been using it for 35mm at the time.

StanW
17-11-2011, 11:54am
Any of those lenses would be fine.I've always used 80mm on my Beseler and LPL. I'd suggest a glass-less negative carier. It mans less sufaces to keep clean.
Best wishes.