PDA

View Full Version : Which Tamron Macro Lens?

steveb57
14-11-2011, 1:15pm
Hi all, I would appreciate your thoughts, I just can't decide between the 90 or 60 mm Tamron macro lenses for use with my 60D.
Apart from the obvious focal length what are the main differences when using these two lenses?
My preference at the moment is the 60mm as there is no barrel movement/extension involved but is this really any problem with the 90mm?
thanks in advance, Steve

I @ M
14-11-2011, 2:11pm
Both are very capable lenses Steve, the 60 mm is a fairly new model and is capable of some excellent shots, have a look at some of Leigh's work with it --- http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/showthread.php?90882 .
The extra working distance of the 90mm may come in handy if chasing skittish flies or bugs but overall the 60mm is a very good bit of gear.

Bennymiata
14-11-2011, 4:14pm
I have a Canon 60D and also have the Canon 60mm macro and a Sigma 150mm macro with OS.
I've also used the Canon 100mm macro lenses a number of times as well.

I find that 60mm is just a little too short as to get a 1:1 shot, the front of the lens ends up being very close to the subject, and then it's hard to get good lighitng onto the subject as the camera and lens are so close.
I ended up having to buy a ring flash for the 60mm as it was about the only lighting that would work with small insects.

As I have used the 100mm macros, and still thought I'd like to be further away so I have more choices on lighting, I bought the 150mm macro, which is superb, but at around the same cost as the Canon 100L lens, it isn't cheap.

If you have your heart set on the Tokina (and it is also a very good lens), I'd definitely go for the 90mm over the 60mm.
If you are going to use it for reasonable sized flowers or portraits, then the 60mm will do fine, but for true 1:1 macros of very small items, I'd go the 90.

AmPhot
14-11-2011, 4:23pm
I've had the Tammy 90mm for about 18 months and I love it. Combine it with a set of extension tubes and you can produce some pretty amazing macro shots. :) I use it both on a tripod and handheld with a ring flash and I find it sharp as a tack. :) Can't comment on the 60mm, never used it.

steveb57
17-11-2011, 11:38pm
Thanks for your input guys,
Think I might go for the 90mm, it seems to have a great reputation.
Cheers, Steve