PDA

View Full Version : D7000 Firmware Update

J.davis
14-11-2011, 12:28am
Done the latest update and now my camera won't recognize my Sigma 24-70. I hope C.R.Kennedy can rechip it for me.

I @ M
14-11-2011, 6:22am
Most of the later model Sigma lenses have re writeable chips in them John and will be interesting to see if your experience is repeated widely.
A phone call or an email to CRK should get things happening, they seem to be pretty good with service like that.

gqtuazon
14-11-2011, 11:48am
Hhmm. Interesting. I only have one Sigma lens (85mm f1.4 HSM). I just did the update yesterday. I might as well check mine if it's even affected using the D7000.

J.davis
14-11-2011, 12:21pm
My 24-70 is the model before the HSM version. My HSM lenses are OK.

Bennymiata
14-11-2011, 4:03pm
Personally, I hate updates.
Especially on my PC, I find that many updates screw other things up and then they send through another huge update to fix the problems the first update caused.
It's a vicious circle I'm afraid.

J.davis
14-11-2011, 4:32pm
Just got the reply back from C.R.Kennedy - no go. The circuit board in the lens is not upgradable.
Now seeing if I can undo the upgrade.

Keith Young
14-11-2011, 5:52pm
Thanks for posting this... I too have the D7000 and have left the old firmware installed with the idea, "if it ain't broke don't fix it" I have a couple of non-Nikon lenses and would not want this to happen to me. I read somewhere that the although Nikon cameras will supposedly support all old Nikon lenses, the newer cameras may not let all non-nikon lens work on them properly. I'm wondering if it is a tit-for-tat situation that has something to do with this law suit? : http://www.photographybay.com/2011/05/26/nikon-sues-sigma-over-lens-stabilization-patent/

J.davis
14-11-2011, 6:07pm
I rang C.R.Kennedy and found no luck with my particular lens, having said that I now have a different problem in that both my non motor lenses (Nikon and Sigma) do not work on my camera - nikon said that this shouldn't happen and ring them tomorrow for a talk with a tech.
BTW my motor in the lens lenses work as advertised, and I have gone back to the original firmware.

I @ M
14-11-2011, 6:11pm
Over the last few years there have been a few firmware updates for various models.

Nikon are quite specific about the issues that the firmware update will fix or improvements to the operation of the body that will result from the update.

I rather believe that they also include other alterations to the cameras operation that they don't tell us about and it wouldn't surprise me if they do deliberately include modifications that will cripple 3rd party products.

Tyronn
21-11-2011, 6:52pm
IS there any real reason why I should update? I can't say the camera has faulted me once. Any hidden fruit with this update?

J.davis
21-11-2011, 10:54pm
Go to the Nikon site and see if the updated bits will bother you style - if not, then don't update.