PDA

View Full Version : Manfrotto 055X PROB and comparable tripods

B D H
10-11-2011, 10:43pm
Hi all
I currently own a Manfrotto 190X PROB which has served me well

my recent purchase of a 300 F2.8 IS has highlighted the need for a more substantial tripod
on which I intend to mount a gimbal type head

based on the 190's quality and function, I'm looking at the 055 models because of their greater weight bearing capabilities

I like the leg clamp lock of the MF legs rather than the twist type of others although this isn't imperitive

could anyone recommend other brands could I look at with a similar load bearing capacity, (8kg's) & height to the 055

Cheers

Bennymiata
11-11-2011, 11:12am
Are you after an aluminium or carbon tripod?

I saw some of the Benro carbon range yesterday and I was quite impressed by them.
They are a knock-off of the Gitzos and seem well built and tough.

Their 3 series tripods are about the strength and height you mention and seem to be fairly similar to the 055 in size and strength and cost around $500 locally.
The 055 carbon with the magnesium metal fittings wil cost you around $600 locally, but about the cheapest place ot buy them would be from B&H in New York (about $370 delivered).

A carbon tripod will weigh substantially less than an aluminium one, and also be stiffer, but it will cost you more, however, they are also much better at taking salt spray and the like.

junqbox
11-11-2011, 11:58am
I use an 055 and am very happy with it. Also upgraded from a 190.

Cage
11-11-2011, 2:40pm
:th3: for my 055CXPRO3 with the clamps.

Had it for 12 months with no problems.

Wobbles
11-11-2011, 5:14pm
I have the 055XPRO and have used it successfully for everything up to a 500 f4 IS. Another AP regular uses his for a 600 F4 (non IS i.e. older & heavier). So in terms of capaciy it will have no problem handling your 300 2.8!

I believe it's the best value for money aluminium tripod in it's class.

Cheers
John

B D H
11-11-2011, 8:51pm
Thanks Bennym,JB,Kevin & John
It looks like the Manfrotto is the winner with the benro a distant second, although I'll probably buy a wimberly/benro knockoff gimbal head

you guys seem very happy with your 055's as I am with the 190x prob
thanks for the heads up with b&h Bennym, carbon fibre is preferred & thats a good price, I'll most likely go that way

cheers

I @ M
12-11-2011, 3:54am
Bryan,
the 055 is quite a sturdy tripod for the job ( you didn't really bring up the weight issue ) and we have one that is quite durable but with all due respect I find that your choice of buying a "knockoff" gimbal head to be a little disturbing.

The head is every bit as important as the tripod when it comes to supporting your heavy lens camera combination and quite frankly I would rather not eat for a week or two to save the money for a better quality head than risk such a valuable lens as well as your camera heading South due to an inferior head.

Cage
12-11-2011, 9:43am
Bryan, there's a lot of merit in what Andrew said about heads, and indeed tripods too. My 'frotto 055 was my fourth one, the other three being part of my 'you get what you pay for' learning curve.

The problem with buying knock-offs is you usually don't know how good or bad they are until you try them, unless you can get some feedback from someone who has one.

I remember my second tripod/head buy, a Chinese copy of a heavy duty Manfrotto studio set-up with a 3-way pan/tilt head.
The tolerances on the head, plates and clamps were so bad that it was impossible to lock anything securely.

The tripod was in another league. Built like a brick outhouse and probably as stable. I will keep it for use when I don't have to carry it too far as it's probably more stable than the 055.

I was talking to someone on this forum recently about the gimbal heads from India for around the $130 mark. Whoever it was indicated that they were going to take a punt and try one.

It may be worth putting up a thread about 'Cheap Gimbal Heads' to see if you can get some feedback.

I haven't discounted the idea of trying one, my main concern being tolerances in the swivel joints and how securely they clamp.

B D H
12-11-2011, 11:22am
Thanks Andrew & Kevin
I appreciate your concerns, the very word "knockoff" is enough to raise alarm I guess
the head I have in mind is this http://www.benro.cn/ensite/EnProduct.aspx?ParaId=2&id=147&ProductId=503
its the GH-2 model
I've had a look at one over the counter and they seem to be very well made, pretty much a copy of the wimberly model which is very expensive
they cost around $450 locally or cheaper thru some online retailers
I have read several positive reveiws of it and haven't found much negative feedback,
I'd be interested in your opinions on it or maybe some one has experienced using/owning one

cheers

kiwi
12-11-2011, 11:38am
I've seen enough of the benro to think its pretty good value

Just a sobering thought on this though.... Think of the implications of a gear failure

The thought of my 400 and d3 falling from 6 ft gives me the shudders

Cage
12-11-2011, 12:03pm
A link to a review I found for one of the cheaper alternatives. http://www.everymilesamemory.com/cinecity_gimball_head_review.htm

and the manufacturer http://www.thecinecity.com/eshop/home.php?cat=273

arthurking83
12-11-2011, 1:58pm

The head is every bit as important as the tripod .....

Depending on usage, the head is actually far more important than the legs if ultimate stability is the priority.
Legs will help with vertical stability, in that the quality of the tripod itself will be directly proportional to it's ability to keep the camera and lens held upright.

The problematic stability force is in keeping vibrations at bay for the purpose of sharper image. The legs help a little in this regard up to a certain point, but the quality of the head is far more important.

Tripod stability is affected by two simple variables. Weight of tripod and the spread of the legs at their base. Heavier tripod obviously helps with having more weight below the camera lens but at the same time still leaves too much weight up high. So in effect simply having a heavier tripod could actually mean a less stable tripod setup on uneven ground!
Because of this my preference for creating a heavier tripod(when I need it) is to simply hang the bag on the end of a hook on the central column.

So with this, I'd be inclined to get a lighter tripod(carbon) and be prepared to hang the camera bag off it for more stability. Note too tho the lower the bag hangs the better the stability. I have a stainless steel hook that can be used to hook the bag onto, which then hooks to the tripod hook. It gives me about 10" of extra length and almost has the bag touching the ground.
I've tested this on uneven gorund and it looks close to impossible to topple over. As the tripod begins to tip, the bag immediately touches the ground and the bag(being something like 15-20kg) then acts as an anchor. The tripod then stops on this semi toppled angle waiting for operator assistance.
Mind you tho, I've never tried this with the 300/2.8 mounted, only up to the 70-200/2.8
It's not perfectly ideal tho and is not fool proof. because the 'butchers' hook is open ended, it can fall in such as way that it unhooks itself and then of course the tripod falls completely.
But a heavy-ish bag hanging on a tripod provides ideal stability with a low centre of gravity.

Of course, the larger the ground cover of the legs, the better this will be for stability as well. But then you need more room to open the tripod up fully. Spikes(instead of rubber knobs) on the ends of the legs can also help.

In general I agree with Andrew, and you're best advised to spend more money on the gimbal and wait for the extra funds for the tripod later. The tripod will make a less significant impact on the whole set up whereas a higher quality gimbal head will have a more significant benefit immediately as well as into the future.
Having said tho, Benro is one of the manufacturers that I woudl take a gamble on most of their upper end products .. BUT!! only if the price is right.
That is, as an example if the gimbal is only $300 or so(where a better respected equivalent product is more like $1K) then I'd be inclined to give them a go.

When the funds are available for the tripod, don't overlook the largest Benro carbon tripod as an option. Far better than any Manfrotto tripod for the same if not less money.
One thing is tho, that many people don't like the Benro(actually Gitzo invention) quick grip leg locking system, and that is because they're not used to it.
Once you;ve gotten used to it, tripod setup is a doddle. Much quicker than the manfrotto system, and much more durable.
On my old 055 the twist grip mechanisms have had to be adjusted twice in the small amount of time I've used it.
Haven't used it for a very long time tho, it's been sitting in the corner of the study for over 4 or 5 years now. Of the three tripods I have it's the least favoured and least easy to use.