PDA

View Full Version : Wedding Video vs Photos

Dylan & Marianne
09-11-2011, 7:30am
I recently attended a wedding as a guest (first time in a while!) where there was a crew of three videographers and a photographer shooting all day.
The videographers make excellent videos and I was impressed by the documentary style they have (cinecraft.com.au)
However, I did notice that if I were the offical photographer, nearly all of my shots bar closeups would have included the videographers. Their style is that one of them filmed with a 100-400 and was able to stand back, one of them shot a wide angle from a distance but the third videographer literally tailed bride and groom everywhere 1-5m behind with a lens I couldn't identify.
This is just theoretical question but if you were photographing the wedding, could you ask the tailing videographer to step aside? Would that compromise the video?
Or would it require some discussion between all parties beforehand as to what the bride and groom thought most valuable - a great video (vs a corny nonsense video like the one I have which I never watch!!) vs great photographs without being filled with other parties trailing along?

JM Tran
09-11-2011, 11:43am
you were at Carrick Hill for that Asian wedding werent you:)

I shot with YN Pro in Melb last year, they also use 3 to 4 videographers at once for different focal lengths and the main boss always shoots close with a 10-20 Sigma.

All it requires to get the best shot and best video is a bit of cooperation between 2 parties and understanding and experience so you dont get in the way of each other. I also split it up too during the location shoot, where I take the bride and groom away to do my own shots and the video boss comes along, and the bridal party is left to my 2nd photographer and the other videographers - then we alternate. Or sometimes I just ask for 5 mins for them alone, and vice versa.

Dylan & Marianne
09-11-2011, 7:57pm
yep, it was a pretty big do with lots of crashers lol
I haven't been in that situation before (most of the people we photograph don't usually have specified videographers) but definitely I can see the merit of some pre-discussion or it could lead to some angst!