PDA

View Full Version : Lens warranties

pjs2
08-11-2011, 9:47pm
I am going to buy the Sigma 70-200 af f2.8 apo ex os hsw + sigma 1.4x ex apo dg converter. My question is if I buy it from what they say is an grey importer ( cameras direct) I know Sigma like Canon wont cover these items. But if I purchase a warranty (3yr mack) from them as well will I still be able to get it repaired. I have not used one of these 3rd party warranty companies before so I am unsure how they work. Who does the repair work for mack if it's not Sigma or Canon ?

Peter

Lance B
08-11-2011, 10:20pm
I really do not know, but the question is, who repairs the lens if it is faulty? I mean, if Sigma, which is imported by CR Kennedy, won't honour a grey imported lens warranty, then how does it get repaired even if there is a longer warranty, if required?

J.davis
09-11-2011, 12:11am
C.R.Kennedy will do the repair and Mack will pay for it or replacement ( if they find in YOUR favour).

LJG
09-11-2011, 6:45am
Also check on the price from a local dealer before you buy grey. CR Kennedy will price match grey prices anyway. I purchased both my Sigma lens from DCW and got 2 years local warranty. It worked out considerably cheaper than buying grey with Mack warranty.

ricktas
09-11-2011, 6:46am
Remember that warranties only cover manufacturing faults..nothing more. So things like front focusing/back focusing are not deemed manufacturing faults and you pay to get those adjusted anyway. As soon as your lens arrives, give it a good close look over, and then use it. Test it out, if all is good, then woohoo. If not, call the retailer and tell them straight away, and follow it up with emails. A product that arrives faulty is called DOA and the retailer (well in Tas at least) must replace it.

Save your money and get insurance over your gear if you do not have any, rather than a warranty, which to be honest isn't worth that much.

Bennymiata
09-11-2011, 12:19pm
I've generally found that buying Sigma lenses locally is hardly any more expensive than buying them grey.
Bargain a bit at the shop, and the difference in price will only be a few percent, and for that few percent, I'll buy a local lens with a local warranty everytime.

If I'm buying a Canon lens, or tokina or whatever else, then I'll buy it grey as there are considerable savings to be made.

pjs2
09-11-2011, 7:54pm
Thanks all,
To tell you the truth I would prefer to buy through a local bloke. Have tried a few, some let you look at it and some dont even let you put it on a body, yours or thiers. I have dealt with Cams direct before and they have done me well. There is a good $300- $400 differance between them and the local bloke with all that I wish to buy. If I can find out more about CR Kennedy price matching I'll consider buying local. Great more homework. DCW I take it stands for digital camera w/house at Annerley ?

Peter

Bennymiata
10-11-2011, 11:41am
DCW are usually pretty good at local pricing.
Just checked their price on their website and DCW have the Sigma 70-200 with OS for around $1639, and Top Buy have it for around $1190 delivered, so there is a big difference.

With CR Kennedy's price matching policy, you should be able to get it locally for around $1190+GST = $1309