PDA

View Full Version : Bad news for my Pentax friends.

WhoDo
06-11-2011, 8:44pm
To all of my Pentax-toting friends on AP, especially Kym, I regret to announce that I have gone over to the "Dark Side" and purchased a Nikon D7000 with a couple of Nikor VR lenses. Please don't anyone tell, kiwi, ok? :eek:

I honestly don't know what came over me. I've been planning for a K-5 for months and just had a "brain snap" while out shopping with the child bride this afternoon. I picked up Nikor 18-55 and 55-300 VR lenses in the bundle for around the same price as a K-5 with the 18-135 WR lens that was my previous object of lustful desire. What can I say ... mea culpa.:o

Haven't worked out what to do with all the Pentax kit yet. SWMBO is being recalcitrant about joining me in my passion for our hobby, so it may have to be recycled to a good home elsewhere. We'll see. The only thing of which I'm certain is that it will take me till Christmas to work out how to use the darned thing! :Doh:

Once again, please accept my deepest apologies for deserting the cause without notice or leave.:confused013

old dog
06-11-2011, 8:54pm
congrats Waz.....it`s rather nice over here on the dark side. The D7000 is a snack to operate......just stick it in auto and Bob`s your uncle...:D

Shelley
06-11-2011, 9:04pm
Jeez Waz, you sure did have a brain freeze for a bit there. Congrats I think :) Sounds like a nice setup too.

WhoDo
06-11-2011, 9:05pm
congrats Waz.....it`s rather nice over here on the dark side. The D7000 is a snack to operate......just stick it in auto and Bob`s your uncle...:D
I dunno, Graeme. I still feel kinda "dirty", y'know. :o

WhoDo
06-11-2011, 9:08pm
Jeez Waz, you sure did have a brain freeze for a bit there. Congrats I think :) Sounds like a nice setup too.
What swung me over, Shelley, was the ability to add a TC to my new 55-300 VR for longer reach while birding. How's that for "bitten"? I could have spent a similar amount getting a new Bigma for the K-x, but would have felt kinda silly with such a big lens on such a small body ... story of my life, really; well in reverse anyway. ;)

Shelley
06-11-2011, 9:13pm
lol, well I shall be waiting for them bird shots Waz - start on the ducks, then move up to the raptors and then to really get confused go looking for a thornbill or something. :)

Tommo1965
06-11-2011, 10:30pm
your next purchase could be a 70-200Vr II with either a 1.7x TC or the 2XIII TC....gives you either a 340mm or a 400mm FOV..and one of the reasons I moved from pentax to nikon

expensive..but the only lens I will never sell

peterb666
06-11-2011, 11:23pm
Oh wow, Nikon - the right choice. You will love the D7000.

Xenedis
06-11-2011, 11:33pm
To all of my Pentax-toting friends on AP, especially Kym, I regret to announce that I have gone over to the "Dark Side" and purchased a Nikon

Ah, so the Official AusPhotography Pentax User Group has, what, three members left now?

I honestly don't know what came over me.

Clearly you wanted a decent camera, but unfortunately you've raised the bar rather low and gone for bronze.

If you want to go for gold, you can on a Canon.

Haven't worked out what to do with all the Pentax kit yet.

Into the compost bin, I expect.

The only thing of which I'm certain is that it will take me till Christmas to work out how to use the darned thing!

The flight deck of an Airbus A340-600 is simpler to use than a Nikon DSLR.

Enjoy your new toy, and I do mean toy. :-D

MarkChap
06-11-2011, 11:35pm
I dunno, Graeme. I still feel kinda "dirty", y'know. :o

As you should

statitica
07-11-2011, 1:58am
Gold rings are on Nikon.
Red Ring of death is on Canon's L(uxury) lenses. (Seriously, walk into a bar and talk about your red ring... :eek:)

At least you might be able to focus on your subject now...

ricktas
07-11-2011, 6:39am
Welcome to the right light side...cause photography is all about the light, and you defected from the dark side.

Derek-C
07-11-2011, 9:01am
And I thought we was mates Waz :scrtch:

Derek

ScottM
07-11-2011, 12:24pm
Totally understandable that you made the move!

By this time next year EVERY photographer will be using Nikon! One more down, 4 to go... :D

peterb666
07-11-2011, 12:41pm
Ah, so the Official AusPhotography Pentax User Group has, what, three members left now?

That many!

Clearly you wanted a decent camera, but unfortunately you've raised the bar rather low and gone for bronze.

Fools gold doesn't hold value for those that don't appreciate the randomly detachable mirrors and how readily a certain brand that sells too well reacts to the environment.

Bennymiata
07-11-2011, 12:57pm
I also had a Pentax K-x, and it was a great little camera, but in the end, I found it too limiting for me, especially with lenses and other accessories.
I had a tough time trying to decide which way to go, either Nikon or Canon, but Canon won me over with their 100-400L lens and all the other toys you can get for Canons both from Canon and the aftermarket stuff and the fact that their lenses, while juat as good as Nikon's, are generally just a little bit cheaper to buy.

Once you get the flow of how it works, I'm syure the D7000 will be easy to use.
Just try to learn one bit at a time, and you'll soon discover that it just all falls into place.

Xenedis
07-11-2011, 4:00pm
Gold rings are on Nikon.

Mutton dressed as lamb, you cannot polish a turd, etc.

Red Ring of death is on Canon's L(uxury) lenses. (Seriously, walk into a bar and talk about your red ring...

All the ladies want is to see my fat white 300mm...

JM Tran
07-11-2011, 4:06pm
I also had a Pentax K-x, and it was a great little camera, but in the end, I found it too limiting for me, especially with lenses and other accessories.
I had a tough time trying to decide which way to go, either Nikon or Canon, but Canon won me over with their 100-400L lens and all the other toys you can get for Canons both from Canon and the aftermarket stuff and the fact that their lenses, while juat as good as Nikon's, are generally just a little bit cheaper to buy.

Once you get the flow of how it works, I'm syure the D7000 will be easy to use.
Just try to learn one bit at a time, and you'll soon discover that it just all falls into place.

Pentax users like me in the past use and love Pentax because of its exceptional Limited prime lenses, thats what its really known and highly regarded for. Theres no point buying a Pentax if you dont utilize those types of lenses, and instead use ones that are easily available on other systems - you would be missing out - and better off switching to Canon and Nikon etc anyway.

Xenedis
07-11-2011, 4:09pm
By this time next year EVERY photographer will be using Nikon!

Now that would be something of a Jack London moment.

In the 19th century, Jack London went 'slumming' in the Whitechapel and Spitalfields districts of East London, which at the time were the worst slums in the British Empire, where vice, criminality, disease, death and scum were rampant.

He deliberately lived how the poverty-stricken, lowest creatures of society lived.

Switching to Nikon would be less bearable.

That many!
Fools gold doesn't hold value for those that don't appreciate the randomly detachable mirrors and how readily a certain brand that sells too well reacts to the environment.

Drop your Nikon into the ocean and see how well that fares. |-)

If you do, I might have to report you to Greenpeace for environmental pollution, though.

muggins
07-11-2011, 4:45pm
Whoa Whoa Xenedis. Did'nt Jack London write "fiction" eg White fang.Your call sir.

Xenedis
07-11-2011, 4:47pm
Whoa Whoa Xenedis. Did'nt Jack London write "fiction" eg White fang.Your call sir.

Have a look into his book The People of the Abyss.

Over to you. :-)

old dog
07-11-2011, 5:05pm
:lol:...this is good stuff. Thanks for the good laughs guys....:th3:

WhoDo
07-11-2011, 5:49pm
Pentax users like me in the past use and love Pentax because of its exceptional Limited prime lenses, thats what its really known and highly regarded for. Theres no point buying a Pentax if you dont utilize those types of lenses, and instead use ones that are easily available on other systems - you would be missing out - and better off switching to Canon and Nikon etc anyway.
Actually, that was pretty much why I had my "moment of madness" and switched. I can't afford serious glass but I need serious reach and I just couldn't get decent TC's for the Pentax and Sigma lenses I owned.

OTOH, Nikon have a 50mm f/1.8 lens available for $199 at the moment and when my MoF recovers from the initial shock I'll be adding TC's, a flash, a remote and the 50mm f/1.8 to my kit to round it out.

@ John - I might have felt sheepish admitting my peccadillo but I didn't want to actually BE sheepish and follow the flock.:p

@ Derek - We ARE mates, mate. I just can't be seen with you in public any more!:o

@ Rick - Might have to fly down to Tassie for lessons on how to use the beast! I'm still in the Overview trying to work out all the buttons! :rolleyes:

@ Graeme - Oh, sure. A guy admits to being seriously conflicted and you all make a joke out of it! :lol:

kiwi
07-11-2011, 6:24pm
Lol, I lov youse now

Re the tc, I doubt,even if you could, add a tc to the 55-300 that it would be any good, sorry

Still damn good move tho

WhoDo
08-11-2011, 6:18pm
Lol, I lov youse now

Re the tc, I doubt,even if you could, add a tc to the 55-300 that it would be any good, sorry

Still damn good move tho
Geez you make it hard, kiwi! Just as well I hadn't invested in a TC before you told me! Evidently no DX series zoom will safely accept a TC, so it looks like I'm back to looking for cheap alternative glass again. Oh well, at least the pool is a bit bigger. I may have to investigate e-Bay or sell off my K-x kit to afford anything though. :(

Tommo1965
08-11-2011, 8:41pm
see if you can find a used VrI 70-200...and if you can..invest in a nikon TC for it

Mat
08-11-2011, 10:43pm
ahhh Waz... That's ok I have been looking at other cameras also (hang on did I say that out loud) but mine have been film cameras.... Still holding on to my Kx

peterb666
09-11-2011, 6:32am
ahhh Waz... That's ok I have been looking at other cameras also (hang on did I say that out loud) but mine have been film cameras.... Still holding on to my Kx

That would probably only leave one Pentax user on AP.

WhoDo
09-11-2011, 7:00am
I've got an MZ-50 Pentax you can have. I hardly used it before getting disgusted with my results and putting it away again. It still has a 28-105 AS IF lens to match and you're welcome to both. All it will cost you is a local shoot, a new battery and some film. You can have the Siggy 100-300 that came with it as well but I suspect that one has fungus so I wouldn't use it without getting it disinfected first. ;)

Email me if you're interested, Mat. WhoDo@ausphotography.net.au (mailto:WhoDo@ausphotography.net.au)

WhoDo
09-11-2011, 7:01am
Watch it, Pete. That could come under the heading of "baiting", especially since Kym would be that "one Pentax user" to whom you refer. :lol:

Analog6
09-11-2011, 8:00am
Enjoy your new gear and ignore those critics. You can recycle the Pentax this way :D - if I had the $$ I'd buy it from you. Shouldn't think you'll have any trouble selling it on cameramarket or similar.

Xenedis
09-11-2011, 4:53pm

At least it's not a Sony.

old dog
09-11-2011, 5:21pm
I`ve had a kenko 1.4 TC on my 70-300vr and it worked a treat. Nearly bought one but decided to just crop but if I ever went for say a 70-200vr or 80-200 f2.8 I could be tempted to get a nice TC.

WhoDo
09-11-2011, 5:28pm
I`ve had a kenko 1.4 TC on my 70-300vr and it worked a treat. Nearly bought one but decided to just crop but if I ever went for say a 70-200vr or 80-200 f2.8 I could be tempted to get a nice TC.
Apparently the problem is that at some focus settings the TC will foul the rear element of the lens and likely cause damage to both. Here is the link to the Nikon Support site article (https://nikoneurope-en.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/44464/~/why-can%27t-teleconverters-be-used-with-dx-lenses%3F) that explains the problem, Graeme.:confused013

kiwi
09-11-2011, 5:49pm
The 70-300 is not a dx lens only so will accept a tc. But I'd say the apperture would be too limited for most sport.

DX specific lenses will not mount a TC I have read

salnel
09-11-2011, 11:27pm
Congrats on both the new toy and joining the "dark" side:D The advice I got for the long lens was one of the Sigmas or the 300f/4 with a TC. The Siggie was too heavy for me so, as you know, I got the 300mm...LOVE that lens!! Look forward to the pics:th3: