PDA

View Full Version : My feature article in Australian Photography magazine (Nov, 2011)

Xenedis
05-11-2011, 12:12pm
A few months ago, Robert Keeley, editor of Australian Photography magazine, received some images of mine which I had submitted to the magazine for a competition.

He rang me, complimented me on the images, told me he saw a story in the images, and then asked me if I'd consider writing a feature article for the magazine about my images and how I created them.

Hence began my article on creative light painting, which I submitted with a number of my images I had created using various light painting techniques and equipment.

My article is featured in the November (2011) issue of the magazine.

Below is a scan from the first two pages. You'll have to buy the magazine to read the rest. ;-)

It was quite an honour to be asked to write for the magazine, and most of my text had been preserved. I could see a few minor edits and additions, but the bulk of it is how I wrote it. (I haven't compared the original and published versions yet, but it's quite close.)

I hope those of you who get to read it will enjoy it, learn something new and be inspired to try light painting.

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6097/6313298035_bba9552c48_b.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/xenedis/6313298035/)

More details on the process of the writing of the article (and an insight into the world of writing for magazines) are here (www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/showthread.php?90885-Writing-for-Australian-Photography-Magazine&p=935190).

Enjoy.

Wandapics
05-11-2011, 1:02pm
Congratulations well done. I have just brought this issue, the Light Painting article was one of the topics that caught my eye while browsing the Photography Magazines. :)

fess67
05-11-2011, 1:04pm
Nice work :)

My hat is off to you, if i ever had an image a mag thought was worthy that would be great but there is no way I would have the confidence to actually write an article about it. That takes guts IMO. :wd:

judybee
06-11-2011, 6:34pm
will buy it this week. Congratulations !!!

chris_m
06-11-2011, 7:38pm
Well done, I have started reading the current edition and have earmarked this section for quiet reading with no other distractions around.

crazymorton
06-11-2011, 8:17pm
awesome work. I've been thinking about subscribing to a photography mag. this may do it for me.

congrats :efelant:

Dylan & Marianne
06-11-2011, 8:27pm
great work john - I've always been amazed by that image in particular of yours!
I haven't got round to reading it yet but will do soon!

old dog
06-11-2011, 8:52pm
congrats John. Nice to get a pat on the back.

Shelley
06-11-2011, 9:05pm
Well done and from what I have read you earned it. Amazing image.

Xenedis
06-11-2011, 11:01pm
Congratulations well done. I have just brought this issue, the Light Painting article was one of the topics that caught my eye while browsing the Photography Magazines. :)

Glad it did the trick. I hope you enjoy the article and the magazine. I've been reading the magazine since 2005; plenty of content, Australian issues, and practical advice. Our friend Dylan also tends to turn up in there from time to time.

Nice work :)

My hat is off to you, if i ever had an image a mag thought was worthy that would be great but there is no way I would have the confidence to actually write an article about it. That takes guts IMO. :wd:

Thanks muchly.

The whole thing wasn't something I planned, as I'd sent a couple of images to the magazine for a comp. Robert Keeley rang me on the same day that we were discussing my image which featured on the cover of the September issue of the magazine. I thought he was ringing about that, but as it turned out, he had my other images and saw a story.

I guess that unlike a lot of writers I wasn't trying to get an article published in the magazine. Usually the way it works is that interested writers/photographers submit their material and go from there. In this case, I was asked to do that. It was very much unexpected, yet flattering.

I love to write, but never had thoughts about writing a feature article for a magazine.

I do have a few other ideas, and I'll pitch them to Robert in due course.

will buy it this week. Congratulations !!!

Thanks Judy. I hope you find it a good read. In fact, you saw me creating one of the images that features in the article. :-)

Well done, I have started reading the current edition and have earmarked this section for quiet reading with no other distractions around.

Believe it or not, it took a day or two before I even got around to reading it. :-)

awesome work. I've been thinking about subscribing to a photography mag. this may do it for me.

congrats :efelant:

Thanks mate.

It's a magazine well worth the subscription. As above, I've been a reader for years and a subscriber for a number of years also.

Another Australian magazine well worth reading is Peter Eastway's Better Photography, which is released quarterly. It's a very large magazine with a lot of content. I used to buy it (and later had a subscription to it and its sister publication Better Photoshop Techniques), but I find it hard to get through my existing magazine subscriptions each month without two more, and those aren't small magazines.

great work john - I've always been amazed by that image in particular of yours!

Thanks Dylan. If I can amaze you, I must be doing something right.

It's not the usual 'scape at all. Much more fun to create (especially creating fire), but I still love a good landscape/seascape.

I haven't got round to reading it yet but will do soon!

I know the feeling!

congrats John. Nice to get a pat on the back.

Always a pleasure. :-)

Well done and from what I have read you earned it. Amazing image.

Thanks Shelley. There'll be a few other images there too. Some of them are lesser known, as I shot them a few years ago and probably haven't posted them here.