PDA

View Full Version : Palm metering

mandab99
01-11-2011, 5:26pm
Hiya

I have been practicing with palm metering and have been getting inconsistant results. From what I know there should be approx 1 stop difference (depending on how light or dark your skin is) between your palm and a greycard. I have found this to be mostly true but have also had a varitey of results from 1/3 of a stop, 3/4 of a stop, 1 1/2 stops and EVEN no difference between my palm and greycard!!!... a little confused. Anyone out there shed some light on the matter?

Thank You!
Manda

ricktas
01-11-2011, 5:34pm
WHY? You have a grey card, just use it.

With all due respect, you have asked a lot of tech questions on AP, but you need to start actually taking photos. If you really want to improve, show us some of your work, cause to be honest most of what you have asked is not going to make you a better photographer, taking photos will.

You have asked us about:

focal lengths, full frame vs cropped, Depth of field, ISO, Shutter speed noise, Zone system, densitometer, the grey card and more, but all of this means zilch, unless you can show that you can take photos.

Harves
01-11-2011, 9:02pm
You have asked us about:

focal lengths, full frame vs cropped, Depth of field, ISO, Shutter speed noise, Zone system, densitometer, the grey card and more, but all of this means zilch, unless you can show that you can take photos.

Looks like you're getting bogged down with the technical side of photography, totally useless information. Go and take some photos and enjoy it.

William W
01-11-2011, 10:33pm
I have been practicing with palm metering and have been getting inconsistant results. From what I know there should be approx 1 stop difference (depending on how light or dark your skin is) between your palm and a greycard. I have found this to be mostly true but have also had a varitey of results from 1/3 of a stop, 3/4 of a stop, 1 1/2 stops and EVEN no difference between my palm and greycard!!!... a little confused. Anyone out there shed some light on the matter? Thank You!
Manda

If you are getting inconsistencies, then I expect you are making A/B comparisons in different light.

It would only need a small change in the angle of direct illumination, hitting the palm of the hand, or the grey card, to make a difference.

When using either the palm, or the grey card, to make a meter reading, it is necessary to have either in the same relationship to illumination as the Subject will be, as here, metering prior to shooting a series of available light back lit portraits, where the subject face will be, where the grey card is located:

http://gallery.photo.net/photo/13094216-md.jpg

WW

mandab99
01-11-2011, 10:48pm
I am currently studying on line for a dipolma in photography while also being a stay at home mom which is a full time job in its self as I dont get a lot of time to myself apart from night time. These techniques I ask advice about is what is being taught to me and I think so far have been a really big help in understanding photography which is what I thought this website was also about? So far the advice that other members have provided to me through my questions has been great and I also think other newbies would have also benefited reading my threads as I know I have reading theres on various questions. Am I doing something wrong, because Rick you are certainly making me feel like I am. When I feel that I have something that I would like to put out there I will but I would like to in my own time when I feel confident enough to do so and not feel pushed into it....

mandab99
01-11-2011, 10:59pm
Thank you William W for your advice & pic, greatly appreciated.
I think I have followed this rule when experimenting and found the most consistant results were outside. The discrepancies seem to be when I am inside especially near a window. Would I be correct in thinking palm metering is just not suitable for all scenarios? And I wonder why?

William W
01-11-2011, 11:23pm
The discrepancies seem to be when I am inside especially near a window. Would I be correct in thinking palm metering is just not suitable for all scenarios? And I wonder why?

I (still) think that if you are getting discrepancies, then it is because the palm and the grey card are NOT exactly the same place, relative to the light illuminating each of them.

You are taking a REFLECTED reading when you use the TTL meter (through the lens meter) - and only the slight change of angle or position of the palm or the grey card could give a variance of ½ stop.

On a different matter - A PALM reading is only really suitable (most accurate) when the palm is placed in the same light and the same angle to that light as the Subject (face).

I use a PALM reading as tool to be employed “on the hop” and when I cannot meter the subject easily.

For example it would be of little use to meter the PALM sitting in the (sheltered) grandstand and assuming that is a guide to the exposure required for the play on the field in open sunlight.

The added advantage of using a grey card, is that it can be used “in shot” in the first image of any lighting bracket and then used as a standard for later PP – which is similar to what we did when using negatives or transparencies; and the first frame (with standards cards in shot) was used for a “clip test”, for push/pull developing.

WW

mandab99
01-11-2011, 11:50pm
Thanks for clarifying William. You have been a big help :)

ricktas
02-11-2011, 6:48am
Manda, this is a photography FORUM! and by definition a FORUM is a place of interaction. All we ask is that members GIVE as well as GET from the site. So please rather than just having us help you with your course, give other members some feedback to. My comments above were nothing more than trying to get you to join in, rather than just take from the site. Cause in the end, members do get sick of repeatedly helping someone, when that person doesn't give back, and you will find that the help you are getting, dries up.

I note that after I posted my above post last night, you then went and did some commenting on others photos, which I thank you for, but we should not have to ask you to do this. Prior to my post above, it was nearly 2 months ago that you commented on anyone else's posts/threads. So please let last night become more regular, its in your own interest, if you want others to continue to help you.

And since you joined back in May, surely you have at least one or two photos to put up for critique, after all this is a photography forum!

mandab99
02-11-2011, 11:13am
Rick I actually commented on other peoples photos before you posted your comment, or if your records show otherwise it must have been before I actually read your comment Thank You.
And as for not being on the forum for 2 months its not because I dont want to believe me its circumstances which I dont think I need to explain. I feel I am learing something new everyday and cannot wait to pass on knowledge to other members but I want it to be the correct info when I do.

ricktas
02-11-2011, 11:46am
I didn't say you had not been on the forum for 2 months, I said you haven't commented on another members thread (how about giving a few critiques, for example), for 2 months. You have been on the site regularly, but only to post your questions and comment on YOUR OWN threads. I hope you continue, as you did last night, in giving something back to others, by posting on their threads.

mandab99
02-11-2011, 1:21pm
I most certainly will when able to. :)