PDA

View Full Version : Attachment for scanning Negatives and using automation with today's cameras

Cracker
01-11-2011, 3:42pm
Can someone point me toward a way to transfer 35mm neg to digital format the fasted and highes quality way without spending more than I have too.

I thought I had read were there was an attachment that would allow one to use a high resolution Camera to quickly capture slides and negatives but I can not find it via Google and the guys at *removed, members with less than 30 days membership and 50 posts cannot complain about products or services*.

I would like to know my options because I want to buy a new camera and I want something that is versatile light and with as large a sensor as possible and fully Manuel settings such as bulb.

the last 35mm I had was a Cannon T-70 and I never went for the auto focus that came afterward. in the interim I found an affection for super zooms that were under $300.00 but I think I am ready to move on.
recently the mirror less designs have caught my eye but I still want to be able to attach to my Microscope and experiment with other auto shoot devices for time lapse, motion , super size and long exposures.

ricktas
01-11-2011, 5:27pm
If you want fast and high quality results you will need to spend some money, it cannot be done cheaply. Invest in a transparency scanner, like the Nikon CoolScan units : http://www.nikon.com.au/en_AU/products.page?CategoryID=gp11zkmy

Yes you can find generic ones for much cheaper, but the speed and quality difference is relative to $$$

OzzieTraveller
01-11-2011, 5:42pm
G'day Cracker

You're asking for "lots 'n lots" here ... much like many of us too
Mirrorless cameras 'may' be an option as there are lots of 3rd-party lens to m4/3 body adapters out there > far more than 'regular' canon or nikon etc lens-to-camera options

I would suggest that you google / ebay for a 2nd-hand LPL slide copier ... literally thousands were around years ago, all use a "T"-mount adapter to the camera body: it's got a telescopic body to allow 1:1 thru to 2,5: copies; has an internal f16 lens etc etc

Regards, Phil

Bennymiata
02-11-2011, 12:05pm
My father had to copy some thousands of slides and negatives to digital, and he just made up a little holder to put the slides or negatives in, made an arm out of an old telescopic antenna (to get he distace right) then mounted it to his digital SLR and snapped away.
You could also mount the holder to something solid and mount the camera on a tripod set just the right distance for the slide holder.
He obviously played around with light sources to get the best images, and he just started shooting away.
You can do around 100 slides an hour with this method, and you can get very good results.

It's really cheap too, and the results can be better than with a cheap scanner as you get the full resolution of the camera.

You can also buy ready-made slide copier holders off some of the Chinese web sites for just a few $$ and then all you need is a good light source to light up the slides/negatives.
Converting the negatives to positives can be done in Photoshop.

You'll need to play around to find the lens that has the right focal distance, but most normal zooms will cope OK, although a short macro lens might be the best lens to use as they have a flat field of focus so the images will be sharp from edge to edge.

Cracker
05-11-2011, 5:12pm
Thank you , those are some fantastic Ideas, sorry I want it all funny the new school guys at Ritzs seemed totally baffled at the Idea and it didn't occure to them a slide copier would be exactly the thing I was thinking about.

Cracker
05-11-2011, 5:14pm
If you want fast and high quality results you will need to spend some money, it cannot be done cheaply. Invest in a transparency scanner, like the Nikon CoolScan units : http://www.nikon.com.au/en_AU/products.page?CategoryID=gp11zkmy

Yes you can find generic ones for much cheaper, but the speed and quality difference is relative to $$$Sound like I should find a friend that has made the investment and pay him to do it :th3:

Bennymiata
07-11-2011, 1:10pm
There are plenty of professional places that will do it for you, but at a cost.
If you only had a few to do, this would be the way to go, but if you have lots to do, then you'll have to do it yourself.

wheellathe
13-11-2011, 6:44am
I bought a king Zoom Slide Dupllicator its looks a bit like a zoom lens with a 35mm film holder mounted at the filter end. the optics are OK but nothing to write home about.