PDA

View Full Version : Sigma Tele-Macro Multi-Coated 2X - 1:1 Anyone know this one?

Cage
30-10-2011, 2:24pm
I've just acquired a pristine set of Asahi Pentax Macro tubes ( :efelant: ) and the seller also had this......... (and I had a GAS attack)

SIGMA TELE-MACRO MULTI-COATED 2X - 1:1

Even though it appears to be in unused condition I suspect it is probably about 30 years old. Google tells me it was made in all the popular mounts.

Interestingly the glass elements are designed to be easily removed, simply by unscrewing them, giving you about a 42mm macro tube with aperture lug.

I suspect that this little gem (?) was made for one or more specific Sigma telephoto models.

Anyone familiar with it ?

Bennymiata
31-10-2011, 10:09am
Looks like it could be a combination of a 2X converter, and when you take out the glass, a 42mm macro tube, hence the Tele Macro name.

I haven't heared of it, but it might be useful.

Have you tried it out at all?

Cage
31-10-2011, 11:01am
Hi Benny

I tried it out on my Sigma 70-200 2.8 and there was only very minor IQ degradation.

I guess it was made to reduce the minimum focusing distance on a telephoto lens to give it pseudo macro ability.

Bennymiata
31-10-2011, 3:08pm
Is it also a 2X converter?

I sometimes use a 2X converter on my Sigma 150mm Macro lens when I'm taking shots of tiny, tiny insects and it gives me up to a 2X magnification.
there is some loss of qualtiy, but less than taking the object at 1X magnification and blowing it up.

Even if you use it on a normal telephoto or zoom lens, while it will increase the magnification, it won't give you a true macro 1X magnification, and more like about 0.4X.

Have fun with it.
I love trying out new gadgets.