PDA

View Full Version : Freo Military Tunnels Shoot

Roosta
29-10-2011, 9:49pm
I've been actually giving this one some thought, those that know me, may find that hard to believe, due to the fact I'm recommending we go somewhere where there is no pub close by, I'll be dammed.

With our bueat days getting a little longer, and still some cloud around, I feel the tunnels would be a great afternoon event, then we could incorporate some street and or beach/sea scape work with the setting sun and or walk around that local area.

The tunnels will challenge all I feel, angles, DOF for true exposure, changing light conditions, and a chance to use some foreign light sources, flash and fill so to speak.

Is anyone keen on this idea?

If so, when?

Awaiting your ideas...

Blue,

P.S. If we go to Freo afterwards, I know a couple of good pubs in the area.>LOL

Sueann
30-10-2011, 12:43am
Sounds like a great idea. When were you thinking of going?

98kellrs
30-10-2011, 1:18pm
I'd be keen for this, great idea! Depending on whether I'm on R&R or not. I think those gun emplacements would look wicked with a sunset/light painting too.. :)

Karl
30-10-2011, 3:10pm
Depending on when I'd be happy to tag along.

Karl

Roosta
31-10-2011, 9:27pm
Sounds like a great idea. When were you thinking of going?
Not sure yet Sueann, will see what we get for a response

I'd be keen for this, great idea! Depending on whether I'm on R&R or not. I think those gun emplacements would look wicked with a sunset/light painting too.. :)
GDay mate, what is your roster? I'm 9-5 get home this Thursday, then away again next Wednesday. I was looking at not this coming weekend,but a fortnight later.
But it's up to the majority.

Depending on when I'd be happy to tag along.Karl
Hay Karl, would be good to catch up again. Keep an eye on the thread.

Cheers Guys,

peterking
01-11-2011, 1:51am
I'm in.
Like everyone else have to work on work schedule.

98kellrs
01-11-2011, 10:46am
Looks like I'm on your roster Rooster, I'm on 8:6 Wednesdays and I'm back in the city tomorrow arvo. The Sunday (20th) is best for me that weekend, as there is a Time attack challenge on at Barbagallo on the Saturday according to my calendar...

Cheers,

Ryan

Roosta
02-11-2011, 9:44pm
Looks like I'm on your roster Rooster, I'm on 8:6 Wednesdays and I'm back in the city tomorrow arvo. The Sunday (20th) is best for me that weekend, as there is a Time attack challenge on at Barbagallo on the Saturday according to my calendar...

Cheers,

Ryan

Sounds good mate.

How is the 20th for everybody else??

Please let us know what you think.

peterking
02-11-2011, 11:38pm
Have to pull out sorry.
Just organised to head south and catch up with family for only the third time this year. I've been slack on that score.
Hoping to get some great Kite surfing stuff whilst away providing the winds are favourable.
Catch you up on another meet.

Roosta
02-11-2011, 11:54pm
No worries mate, if I don't go riding on Monday, I'll call you..

Milbs1
05-11-2011, 9:11pm
Just saw this Blue. Sounds like a great outing.....any other weekend I could probably do, but I'm in Dunsbourough on the 20th. Ages since we caught up.....

Roosta
05-11-2011, 9:37pm
Just saw this Blue. Sounds like a great outing.....any other weekend I could probably do, but I'm in Dunsbourough on the 20th. Ages since we caught up.....

Spewen, Have fun @ dunnybrush, (Look up Shane "LOUSHA" while your in his neck of the woods, top bloke he is..) we'll have to catch up soon, miss getting out with you lot. Have you heard from Jeff "jjhtt" at all?

Hows the not so new car going? You've put up a couple nice shots on you're Flickr site, Hay is a cool shot, and the horse and foal.

Anyway, trying to get the film rolling over the mirror so to speak, will keep the ideas and dates flowing, maybe an arvo in Swan Valley soon....???

Take care Shirl ...

P.S, I konw a good pub down that way. (Go Figure) Look up eagle bay brewing. Off the road that heads to Cape Naturalist Light House... Great place, google it, you'll love it...

Have fun.

Sueann
06-11-2011, 10:46am
I've got a big weekend the weekend of the 20th. Just don't thik I can squeeze this one in. I look forward to seeing the photos though, might have to try it another time :)

Karl
06-11-2011, 1:39pm
Same here I am diving the wreck of the ex HMAS Perth that weekend - sorry :(:(

Karl

98kellrs
06-11-2011, 1:51pm
Hey Roosta,

Maybe make a poll with a few different dates on it and see which turns out the most popular?

Tommo1965
06-11-2011, 6:24pm
id be interested in the tunnel meeting..Ive never been to a AP meet before..or the tunnels ...but I can only make weekends

Roosta
07-11-2011, 11:19pm
Ok, does anyone mind a Saturday? if not, what about Dec 3rd. I can't make the 4th, but it wouldn't be the first time I've put forward an idea and end'd up not being able to attend. Other wise the next time myself and Ryan are back is, well just before Xmas 18th.

What do you guys/gals think.

If the majority can attend on the inbetween weekends please put it forward.

Cheers,

Karl
09-11-2011, 11:56pm
3rd sounds good -have a Xmas thing on the 4 - but free any other time.

Karl

98kellrs
11-11-2011, 1:28am
Fark, I never plan that far ahead Roosta! :p I think I'll be good for pretty much any day, I'll check with the woman and see what's in my diary calendar phone thingy though. :th3:

Milbs1
12-11-2011, 11:30pm
3rd might be OK for me if its an arvo shoot...

Roosta - Haven't heard much from Jeff...he did post up some shots of his baby girl Poppy a while back so I expect she is keeping him busy :)

enduro
13-11-2011, 8:43pm
3rd's OK foe me. Will keep up with the thread.

Roosta
13-11-2011, 9:31pm
This is getting better, what about 4.00 ish Saturday the 3Rd at the tunnel complex, we can setup and experiment a bit before sunset.

Milbs1
13-11-2011, 10:45pm
This is getting better, what about 4.00 ish Saturday the 3Rd at the tunnel complex, we can setup and experiment a bit before sunset.

Any links to what/where is "Freo military tunnels" lol!! Is this something we need tickets for, or with set opening times??

Roosta
13-11-2011, 11:16pm
Any links to what/where is "Freo military tunnels" lol!! Is this something we need tickets for, or with set opening times??

I'll have a look tomorrow and post results, I was of the idea they're free to enter, but not sure.

Roosta
14-11-2011, 11:42pm
Ok, some updated news, (Shirl, you listening) I spoke to Peter King this morning, he has been to the site (http://www.artillerywa.org.au/RAAHS/history.htm) and was planning to do a site visit today to get a feel and maybe a few shots to wetten our appertites with. I hear it's raining in the big smoke, (41deg C where I am) and I don't know of his success or valiant Effort/failure yet. Anyway, the tunnels are only open on Sunday between 10.00 - 15.00 Hrs, so that f@@ks that, but we may be able to still access the gun platforms and left over artillery pieces. From what the information I've gathered (Through some dodgy sources of course) it's good for fading light oppertunities (Sesuts, long walks on the beach, oops, sorry that's my Eharmony line) and some light painting.

SO,

Milbs has offered to do a Cher impersonation for us 'eledegly' that will be a sight to see.

So it's not all doom and gloom, please stay posted, hopefully Peter (No pressure Pete) will come through with the goods/pics-something, If not, well have to go and take some overselves. Oh, and, I'm Shirl will want to stab me with the blunt end of her telephoto lens, maybe a Benny Hill chase, key the music....LOL

See you all there.

Blue,

peterking
15-11-2011, 12:37am
No Pressure! Yeah right!

OK so I did the recce and there are lots of possibilities.
The carpark at the bottom of the walk is of some concern to me as there is broken glass all over from car windows. Poole place or Vlamingh Parade may be more suitable for security.

As you approach from the carpark, heading uphill facing south, the first thing you come across is a gun emplacement.
http://www.peterking.id.au/cpg1416/albums/userpics/10001/IMG_2231.jpg

AS you get to it you then see the observation post to your front left.
http://www.peterking.id.au/cpg1416/albums/userpics/10001/IMG_2233.jpg

If you walk past the approach to the Observation post then you come to another gun.
http://www.peterking.id.au/cpg1416/albums/userpics/10001/IMG_2234.jpg
Just past that is the remnants of the original guns.

The observation post has possibilities fro elevated views of Rottnest and the water.
http://www.peterking.id.au/cpg1416/albums/userpics/10001/IMG_2238.jpg
Yes that is rain approaching and yes I got a little damp. Camera was kept under cover.

Looking South you can see Freo harbour.
http://www.peterking.id.au/cpg1416/albums/userpics/10001/IMG_2239.jpg
North is Cottesloe.

If you look east there is Monument hill which has an even higher elevation.
http://www.peterking.id.au/cpg1416/albums/userpics/10001/IMG_2237.jpg

Just behind the Observation post is the Command Post. A concrete bunker that may lend itself to some interesting light interpretations?
http://www.peterking.id.au/cpg1416/albums/userpics/10001/IMG_2235.jpg

I have put in a call to the WA Artillery Historical Society and am awaiting their return call. Just wondering about possibilities and limitations. Would love to get into the tunnels and have a light painting play.

Recently bought off eBay several sets of "Laser Finger Beams". Despite their name they are not lasers but Finger mountable LED lights. Ask PhotmD what he thinks of them as I gave one set to his son to play with. I reckon they are going to be a hit on the night!

On the 3rd Sunset is 19:09 almost due West, with Moonrise 12:45 and 55% waxing Gibbous. Might be an interesting Light Show around 20:00.

Milbs1
15-11-2011, 12:39am
:lol::lol::lol::lol:

either you have gone troppo or drunk too much!!
I needed a good laugh, thank you Mr Wiggle x

Milbs1
15-11-2011, 12:42am
Nice work yet again Mr King, a true champ at reconnaisance!!
Presume there are less steps that my last light painting adventure with you guys?? Oh yes, that's right, Blue had a poorly leg from playing in the mud with the big boys :p

peterking
15-11-2011, 1:02am
No steps unless we can get into the tunnels, just inclines and declines.

I have ideas of the "Cher" type shot using the Laser finger Beams attached to your top. Reckon given enough time we might be able to get "Old Glory" to shine on your shirt? :lol:

Milbs1
15-11-2011, 10:19am
I may be busy on the 3rd after all! :eek:

peterking
15-11-2011, 10:19pm
Whilst doing the recce on Monday I called the number on the sign, having an idea rattle around my head, and left a message. My call has just been returned and it may be possible for us to have our own private tour. I am trying to get hold of the person responsible to see what can be arranged for the 3rd. The only thing I know is that they do do private tours and the fee for the group is $75.00. Don't know as yet how long we will be allowed to remain in the tunnels.

If there is enough interest then do I go ahead? What time would you like?
My idea is the 3rd with a start time around 5pm giving us time to get some photo's in the tunnels then get outside for sunset and night shots.

enduro
15-11-2011, 10:27pm
I like the idea of the tour and private time is worth paying for. However if I was paying, I'd want a bit of free roam time and would be a bit less interested in the military history and a lot more interested in the photographic oppertunities.

Roosta
15-11-2011, 11:01pm
Peter, thanks for that, after 14 yrs in the army attached to several artillery units, I know enough about things that go bang in the night.

But, I'm with enduro with the photographic ops. Thanks again mate. I'm there either way..

Milbs1
15-11-2011, 11:02pm
Sounds good Peter, preferable to the Cher idea floating around :p
Agree with Enduro, a 5 minute condensced history will do for me!

Roosta
15-11-2011, 11:14pm
Sounds good Peter, preferable to the Cher idea floating around :p

Well, that's just not good enough, I have go all out to get the fluro pink with silver sparkle 100 MPH tape. Now what to do with it?

LOL

Roosta
15-11-2011, 11:21pm
Shame about POTH 280 Shirl, the shot had all your trademarks all over it, got my vote, as I picked it to be yours, and that shot and the other one that won you you're sig POTW are both great shots mate.

Hope to see you on Saturday, will be good to catch up with everyone again. No news from Jeff?

Milbs1
16-11-2011, 3:37pm
Cheers mate, both those shots were taken on the same morning at the same place, very different looks! I might get down there again this weekend, although this time its a family weekend away rather than photography.

Definitely out on the 3rd, will be good to catch up. Will send Jeff a text (when I get my phone service back, thats a whole other story!).

Roosta
18-11-2011, 11:02pm
Are we all on for tomorrow at 3.00 ish or so, please post your replys, please all check back here tomorro, I'll be there from about 3.30 tomorrow, hope to see you there.

Blue..

Milbs1
22-11-2011, 3:42pm
Did I miss something...is this still happening on the 3rd??

Roosta
24-11-2011, 11:36pm
Did I miss something...is this still happening on the 3rd??
No your all good, I took too much crack the other night, some would think!!! LOL.

Ask Peter..

Shelley
30-11-2011, 11:31pm
Have fun guys, I have a very small wedding to do. Maybe next time.

peterking
30-11-2011, 11:45pm
OK kids.
Where and what time?
As I said earlier Sunset is 19:09 and almost due West.
I'm at work till 16:00 so earliest I'll get there is around 16:30.

Milbs1
30-11-2011, 11:54pm
How about 5.30? Still gives us plenty of time before sunset, or I can do 5 if you want to meet earlier.
Peter - can I get one of those torches off you? Remind me how much mates rates was!!??

peterking
01-12-2011, 10:06pm
I have just spoken to the person responsible for the tunnel tours and explained what we hoped to do and he is all for it. Can only be done on a Sat as Sunday is an Open Day.
I'm going down on Sunday to introduce myself and take the tour to see what ideas I can get. Thinking of this for a future meet.
Have a look at this virtual tour (http://www.artillerywa.org.au/vtour/vtour.htm) they have of the tunnels.

5:30 for this Sat works really great for me. Less of a rush to get there.

peterking
05-12-2011, 12:26am
Today I went back to Buckland Hill and met with the people who do the tours and did the tour myself. We had a discussion and I was able to show them some of what we would like to do using images I had got off the web and they are all fine with it. Cost would be $50.00 for the group with no time limit although I think we should impose our own limit of two hours in fairness to those involved being volunteers.

The tunnels are very narrow with most not being able to cope with two people abreast.

Some bad images are attached (or not cause I can't get it to work) to give some ideas of the environment.

http://www.peterking.id.au/cpg1416/albums/userpics/10001/IMG_2362.jpg

http://www.peterking.id.au/cpg1416/albums/userpics/10001/IMG_2363.jpg

http://www.peterking.id.au/cpg1416/albums/userpics/10001/IMG_2364.jpg

http://www.peterking.id.au/cpg1416/albums/userpics/10001/IMG_2365.jpg

I'm thinking and have proposed to the tour folks for early next year.

stevenh120
12-12-2011, 11:51pm
Hi Pete,

Did you try using a super wide lens for some pics? Would make for an interesting effect.

Cheers
Steve

peterking
13-12-2011, 12:00am
If I had one I would have. And yes I agree. Interesting effects.

Shane.R
16-02-2013, 5:57pm
You did you all go? If so, got a link to pics?

enduro
16-02-2013, 6:16pm
You did you all go? If so, got a link to pics?

I recall seeing the pics about a year ago, just after the day out.

Roosta
16-02-2013, 7:45pm
Shane,

A bunch of us went, but Peter King (look up the members) and search his pictures of last summer, there is also some of Peter's pictures above the tunnels, around the grounds. They have a military library there, and folk dress in period clothing and the like.

Mate, fell free to suggest a meet on the WA Forum, I tried to start one, but it's stalled some what, you might just be the spark we need.