PDA

View Full Version : Site Technology - wish list for improvements

Kym
22-10-2011, 9:09pm
vBulletin (the basic forum software we use) are open to feedback on their software.

So to help me give them some constructive feedback I'm seeking suggestions as to what may improve the site software and most importantly the usability.

A few starters that are already in train...

Search performance improvements
Asset Manager UI re-work (i.e. attachments)
Bug fixes in the new advanced post editor
Bug fixes and improvements in the Mobile skin
Cross browser bug fixes (i.e. browser independence and stability)

Are there any annoyances that you would like fixed?

BTW: AP is modified (significantly) from the base vBulletin - so some suggestions maybe something I can change if it makes sense to.
All of the customisations are build as plugin products rather than hacking vBulletin code, which makes maintenance easier.

The major product plugins are: Competitions System, Library (wiki), Gallery and the Front Page portal
Minor plugins includes the AP Extras and some other navigation enhancements

So let the suggestions be posted :th3:

Roosta
14-11-2011, 11:22pm
Kym, Question if I may,

I recently signed up to Cambridge In Colour's Forum, due to the fact I can access their Vbulletin site at work. It's ok, but not a pinch on AP.

But,

I can't use AP at work, the dialogue box (What I'm typing in-Here) wont show, all I get is a black rectangle, but in CIC's it works fine, they have basically the same set up with menu options and settings as far as I can tell, their dialogue box appears as this one does on my laptop. Any ideas..

Cheers, Blue.

ricktas
15-11-2011, 6:59am
Kym, Question if I may,

I recently signed up to Cambridge In Colour's Forum, due to the fact I can access their Vbulletin site at work. It's ok, but not a pinch on AP.

But,

I can't use AP at work, the dialogue box (What I'm typing in-Here) wont show, all I get is a black rectangle, but in CIC's it works fine, they have basically the same set up with menu options and settings as far as I can tell, their dialogue box appears as this one does on my laptop. Any ideas..

Cheers, Blue.

Caused by IE 7. My guess is your workplace is using IE and version 7 (which is nearly 4 years old now). IE7 is not supported by the latest releases of VBulletin. My guess is that cambridgeincolour is not using the latest versions of Vbulletin. The only solution is to upgrade IE, or get a different browser on your work computer, if you are able ti

Roosta
15-11-2011, 12:57pm
Sweat, phoned IT, no worries, download and run Firefox :)

Love it.

Cheers Rick - Kym..

Kym
15-11-2011, 1:18pm
An upgrade has just been release for vB https://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showthread.php/391208-vBulletin-com-Forum-upgraded-to-vBulletin-4-1-8-FULL-VERSION-(Ready-for-Download)
but as there are significant template and stylevar updates we need to wait for our skin supplier to update those.
I'm guessing an upgrade around the 1st week of December.

FYI
4.1.9 will be a mobile skin upgrade
4.1.10 will be a bug fix/minor feature upgrade