PDA

View Full Version : IE freezes when i click on icons to add to post

bricat
22-10-2011, 4:26am
I am running W7 64 and have had trouble when adding icon to end of "reply to thread" IE freezes and I have to close and re-open then re-join AP. Something wrong with my setup? cheers Brian Updates to windows are both automatic and manual.

ricktas
22-10-2011, 6:19am
Hmmm. Haven't heard of that one before. When it happens is there something else you are doing? Ie. another IE tab open to a different site.

Maybe there is a particular chain of events that triggers it.

Kym
22-10-2011, 9:02am
Follow the trouble shooting guide in the first instance.
See: http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/showlibrary.php?title=How_Do_I:Site_access_problems:_fix_methods_troubleshooting_guide

I run W7/64 and IE 9 without an issue.
Edit: Also: Make sure that Javascript is enabled and both yahoo and google are accessible as we use them for CDN (content distribution network); i.e. certain components load form there.

dieselpower
23-10-2011, 7:59am
Try to run IE in safe mode. If it fixes it then there's an add-on holding you up. Easiest way - click the windows orb, type 'internet explorer' in the search box, and choose internet explorer (No Add-ons).

If that works, then reset internet explorer to defaults (note that this will turn off toolbars and customisations you've made). To do this, open IE, click on the 'gears' icon on the right (under the close button) and choose Internet Options. Click on advanced, and click 'Reset'. Tick 'delete personal settings' if you like, but I wouldn't think it's necessary (read the description below the option and decide for yourself if it's a good idea).

Let me know how that goes for you, if it doesn't fix it then I'm happy to try and help you nail down which add-on is causing it to hang up.

bricat
24-10-2011, 7:11am
I reset IE to defaults then typed reply and clicked on "thumbs up" icon and it froze. I am pretty sure I did not enable add ons so I will check if any are running. Will also follow link above and redo all of this again until something gives. Will take me some time now as wife and daughter left for O/S today and have left me with a list. FIX HOUSE. Due to the nature of computers and me being a bit slow I know that to find this fix may take some time Thanks for the imput and I will reply later in the week with progress. cheers Brian

PS When I clicked on" post quick reply" a message came up "Are you sure you want to leave this page" I clicked yes and message was then posted. cheers

dieselpower
24-10-2011, 7:10pm
Hmm the PS part makes me think your security settings might be a bit skewif. The first bit makes me think perhaps Java issues, but not sure. Kym - Java in any of that?

There's always add-ons enabled in Internet Explorer, regardless of whether you choose to install them. For example, flash, java, adobe reader are very common ones that put plugins in. There's quite a few more!

Double check your java runtime version - it might be worth updating it as a matter of course, regardless, as they often address security issues. Good luck with fixing the house, will keep an eye out for your response!

ricktas
24-10-2011, 7:19pm
Other option is to install a different browser and see what happens when you access AP using it. If it works, then it is something within your other browser settings. It could take some time to narrow down what is the actual cause though.

dieselpower
25-10-2011, 6:47pm
Other option is to install a different browser and see what happens when you access AP using it. If it works, then it is something within your other browser settings. It could take some time to narrow down what is the actual cause though.
Yup, you could do that! I highly recommend Google Chrome if you do consider that. Trim, fast, just works!

bricat
26-10-2011, 1:38pm
OK will try thanks:th3:
Whoops something is working:confused013