PDA

View Full Version : No Jpeg option

Glenda
21-10-2011, 10:39am
I'm using PS elements 8. While processing some raw images yesterday I changed 8 to 16 bit. When opening the images discovered layers was not an option. Took me a few shots to realise this was what was causing the layers option to not be available so I changed back to 8bit. I went to resize some images today to post on the web and where I usually convert to jpeg, there is no jpeg option. The jpeg option is still there in "save for web" but when I click to close the edit and I usually save changes as a jpeg, it isn't there. Tiff, PSD etc are there. Is there any way I can still save these as jpegs? I don't fully understand the differences between all these formats and usually save changes as PSD or jpeg depending on what I want to do with them. Any help appreciated.

junqbox
21-10-2011, 10:47am
From memory, there may be a colour space issue or the bit rate, can't remember.
For broader purposes though, it's better to save your images as TIFF or PSD (lossless), with JPEG as the last resort/final output (to maintain quality). JPEG is the common format keeping image file sizes small, so for web viewing or sending to printers etc.

ricktas
21-10-2011, 10:53am
JPG is an 8-bit format, you need to change the photo back to 8-bit to save it as JPG. Have a look at the image settings, my guess is it is still 16bit. Save for Web works cause it allows a downgrade to 8-bit as part of its processing, whereas save as, doesn't.

Glenda
21-10-2011, 1:53pm
Thanks for the info. Managed to find where to change them back to 8 bit which enabled the jpeg option.