PDA

View Full Version : good blinking

reaction
19-10-2011, 7:25pm
This is probably going to sound a bit silly, but I'd like to ask y'all for examples of portrait shots where the subject was caught just blinking, AND the blinking was the one you went with.

ie the blinking shot was the one you chose over the non blinking.
and I don't mean the dreamily eyes closed face up to the sun types, but really ones where it looks like blinking (but it can be posed blinky).

I'm sure we'll see some creative stuff here! :efelant:

GTP 290
19-10-2011, 8:11pm
I've got plenty of shot where the subject was blinking but they certainly aren't the shot that I 'chose' to present to my clients.

reaction
24-10-2011, 6:13pm
I'm in the same boat, but I've seen enough blinkies in pro-tog portfolios to think it's deliberate sometimes. But I can't see why

Bercy
26-10-2011, 10:17pm
Everybody's face has the same general features (shame if you don't have a nose) yet we can detect a face we know from a billion others. The blink takes away one of the largest cues of recognition so we will to a point of exception want to see the eyes. For that matter blinking and closed eyes are different again. So a baby asleep is still different from blinking. Sure, somewhere out there is a picture of a person blinking which has by that blinking made the photo - but it will be a rarity indeed. Winking on the other hand...

Bennymiata
28-10-2011, 10:40am
Portraits of people blinking is a bit like a bird in flight, caught with its wings folded, and looking like it's falling like a stone!

Good for a laugh, but not for a good picture.