PDA

View Full Version : Sunglasses?

hdn177
18-10-2011, 4:26pm
Well this might sound silly, but I thought this was the best place to ask.

Time to replace my servo sunglasses. Now there is heaps to choose from, but question is to polarize or not to polarize?
There is about $100 difference between the two in most known brands. So other than something that fits my wonky shaped mug, the other question I have is, who leaves them on when taking photos?

Just curious on peoples thoughts.

Cheers
Hayden

kiwi
18-10-2011, 5:10pm
I leave mine on, though with polarized glasses I can't read my LCD screen

Rattus79
18-10-2011, 5:29pm
i leave them on depending upon lighting.

I wear either maui jims or serengetti's, no substitute for quality. that's why i shoot pentax too.

dieselpower
18-10-2011, 7:19pm
I normally take mine off - personal preference, but I find it easier to see through the viewfinder without them.

I wear polarised as I spend a lot of time at the beach and on the water, and polarised sunglasses through a viewfinder with a polariser on the lens is an interesting effect! I agree with Kiwi though - definitely can't see the screen with the sunnies on!

Paul G
18-10-2011, 8:59pm
I wear prescription glasses and have a pair of Cancer Council polarised sunglasses that I wear over them. The CC glasses are good value at about $50 - $60.

I take them off for photography though as my eye is far enough away from the viewfinder as it is and also when using a CPL filter, as Tom eluded to above, I see black blotches through the viewfinder if I leave them on.

Wayne
19-10-2011, 8:09am
I have 2 pair of Oakley, 1 is polarised and I mainly use that pair, however as a pilot, I use the non-polarised when flying. I have used both with the camera and find that my eye is just too far from the viewfinder while wearing them, and in live view the polarised are pointless as others have said.

Ms Monny
19-10-2011, 12:48pm
funny you asked because I just bought a pair of good sunnies today (my $8 Bali ones broke - LOL). I have in the last few years purchased cheapies but today I bought Oakleys, and, OMG, they feel amazing and to look through them is amazing too. They aren't polarised but they are a grey lens. I do love polarised lenses though, esp when out at the beach or around water.

Personally, I take them off to look through a camera because I like to see exactly what is through the lens. Sometimes sunnies with a brownish lens can make an afternoon landscape look amazing until you take them off!! It is like a warming filter.

William
19-10-2011, 12:54pm
I have a pair of Von Zippers Polarised, But I take them off when taking photo's , I also shut one eye , Thats another story :D

Bennymiata
19-10-2011, 2:30pm
Once you've worn polarised sunnies, you wo'nt want ot go back to normal ones.
The polarised ones just make bright sun much more bearable IMHO, especially when there are a lot of reflections..

mikec
19-10-2011, 3:12pm
Try looking at Revo, an american brand so not sure if you can get them here but they are great. I lost my Oakley's swimming in the US so I had to buy some new ones. By far the best pair of sunglasses I have owned, hands down.

I don't shoot with sunnies on myself, I find it's just annoying more than anything.

JM Tran
19-10-2011, 3:28pm
I have always worn Rayban Aviators - not the best in terms of practicality and protection, but nothing beats them for timeless style:) I wear them sometimes when Im shooting, only when I am sure of the conditions and exposure though, and definitely not in a dynamic environment where lighting is constantly changing.

But Oakleys wraparounds and some other similar ones are the best if you are in dusty, windy environments.

I definitely dont do polarized sunnies for shooting too, but for being a tourist, yes:)

KeeFy
19-10-2011, 8:37pm
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704518904575365362932852610.html

Worth a read :)

Redgum
19-10-2011, 10:30pm
Just goes to prove that you could buy a new camera body, three lenses and a flash with what you save on ordinary (non-designer) glasses. Mythbusters could really play havoc with this topic.

hdn177
20-10-2011, 6:24am
Well, I took the dive in over my normal Servo sunglasses and gee what a difference. Oakley polarized, just awesome. Interesting the responses re glasses on or off when shooting! I generally leave them on when out taking photos. Never really thought about it until now.

ricktas
20-10-2011, 7:16am
I used to wear polarised sunnies, but stopped for 2 reasons about 3 years ago. As Kiwi and others have commented., the LCD and using a polariser on the camera resulted in cross-polarisation, and also bought a car with polarised window glass, so driving the car with the polarised sunnies on created a unique way to see the world.

So now, its 'normal' sunnies for me, and I tend to leave them on for taking photos.

Roo
22-10-2011, 12:14am
After years of non polarised I just bought a pair and as others mentioned the tint on my car gives a psychedelic 'look' on the world. When it comes to taking pics I put the sunnies on the top of my and don't use them just don't like the feel of wearing sunnies looking through the viewfinder.