PDA

View Full Version : Working with children check?

christay
18-10-2011, 10:35am
I was wondering if many family/children/newborn photographers have a "working with children certificate" NSW: https://check.kids.nsw.gov.au/ - and if it would be necessary? Do families and mums & dads ask if there photographer can work with children?

I, personally am thinking of doing the check and getting the certificate for "just in case" reasons and basically, just to show that I am ALLOWED to work with children and I feel that mums & dads would feel more comfortable knowing there photographer can work with children without a problem? :)

Would YOU get the check if you did family and children sessions?

kiwi
18-10-2011, 11:12am
I have the QLD equivalent.

Sammi
18-10-2011, 11:44am
I think from the start of next year it will be mandatory for all working photographers to have the WWCC, Ive had mine for quite some time due to helping at the kids previous school but it cant be the volunteer one if you are working for money..

jasevk
18-10-2011, 11:49am
I have the VIC version. I think it's a good thing to have, most won't ask for it, but I know I'd rather say "sure, here's my working with kids check" than "sorry I don't have one, but I can get one".

Colinc1
18-10-2011, 12:38pm
I think in Victoria, it is being progressively rolled out, just about anyone who comes into contact with kids will eventually
need one,i know bus drivers must have one.

I have one, as i clean kinders/preschools,and i suppose it could come in handy in photography related situations for some.

KeeFy
18-10-2011, 1:03pm
In NSW it's mandatory to have one if you work with kids. I serve/volunteer in Church with kids and every new team member needs to be cleared before he/she can work with the kids.

As what was said, are you going to risk losing a instant shoot because the parents are not comfortable that you're not cleared? It's only $80 in NSW. Well worth it! :)

christay
18-10-2011, 4:13pm
Thanks guys for all your feedback! Will definitely get it now! :)

Redgum
18-10-2011, 5:23pm
Good to have. I work with video/photography through the Education Dept Qld (contractor) and have had a card since inception over 10 years ago. Funny thing - I've been to more than 200 schools and have never been asked for it. I've been a director of the YMCA in Brisbane and have needed to show it many times. Perhaps the YMCA cares more about kids?

Duane Pipe
18-10-2011, 5:43pm
I think in Victoria, it is being progressively rolled out, just about anyone who comes into contact with kids will eventually
need one,i know bus drivers must have one.

I have one, as i clean kinders/preschools,and i suppose it could come in handy in photography related situations for some.

I know a bus driver that was charged with snow dropping:action: although it was a long time ago

Art Vandelay
18-10-2011, 5:51pm
I've had one (qld) since it started due to being involved in several kids sports. Although it's a bit of a check it's not the be all and end all some think it is.

All it means is that the card holder hasn't been convicted of any kiddy fiddler type offence... it doesn't mean they aren't a kiddly fiddler.

kiwi
18-10-2011, 7:28pm
I've never been asked, but ask it of all that work for me at a kids event

Shelley
18-10-2011, 8:42pm
I work with kids and have it, as said it doesn't guarantee you, but it's a good thing to have, so previous offenders don't slip thru the loop, as kids are precious.

AmyK
18-10-2011, 9:02pm
I have the Tassie equiv. as my partner's mother works as a family day carer, and I used to be around the children a lot, so it was a requirement.

I keep a copy of it in my camera bag but as of yet I haven't had to pull it out :)

shakes
22-10-2011, 10:25am
I have the victorian version. Needed it for work a couple of years ago.

I have had some great reactions when applying for various jobs just mentioning that I have it - Even if it has nothing to do with the work itself. Well worth the little bit of effort if you 'might' need it.