PDA

View Full Version : undura lava tubes

umajo
16-10-2011, 9:34am
oh well just booked a weekend at the tubes seems very popular not a lot of accomodation available, may check out mt surprise as well anyone been there ?

Analog6
16-10-2011, 10:52am
No, but it is on my wishlist, I will look forward to seeing your shots

Lesley Bray
16-10-2011, 1:06pm
I've visited both places - enjoyed them immensely. Depends what you like and what you are looking for.
Lesley

umajo
17-10-2011, 4:58pm
oh well looking forward to it now

OzzieTraveller
18-10-2011, 7:10pm
G'day umajo

Nice to hear from you :-)

Been to the lava tubes multiple times - used to take campervan/caravan tour groups up thru NQ & out to Lawn Hill NP before the 'great GFC'

Undara is a complex place - all tours are done via their own vehicles & guides > guides are good & knowledgable
They have several lava tubes that they use for visitors, alternating them to give each some exposure time & a rest time for the locals living down the tubes - and also some flood after rains

I would suggest that you plan to spend 2 nights with them - do a 1/2 day underground tour & the sunset 'champers & nibbles' tour

Shooting wise > you can take a small tripod with you, there is time on every tour [but not ages & ages]
I would reckon that the 18-55 would probably do most of it underground; you might find a few things for your 55-200 as well [tho I have used my panny and its lovely 18x zoom and got lots of stuff]

Undara will not allow flash pix of the bats coming out of their caves at dusk - bugga -

Cobbold Gorge has a bit more to offer we 'togs than Mt Surprise - if you can get down there & do one of their tours, and
Lawn Hill NP is worth a week at least - road via Burketown is in good nik at the moment ... we did it in July this year

Any more I can help with??
Regards, Phil

I @ M
18-10-2011, 7:14pm
I'm not sure on his current status but not that long ago AP member Andrew.S (http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/member.php?888-Andrew.S)was listed as the manager at Undara.

umajo
19-10-2011, 5:34pm
thanks ozzie cant wait now but knowing my luck it will rain , we were going to paluma to try for the golden bower bird but would you believe we know
where his bower is and cyclone yasi took out the bridge and cant get there now

umajo
27-10-2011, 9:10am
weekend is geting closer and i am getting excited getting my gear all ready:efelant:

OzzieTraveller
27-10-2011, 8:45pm
G'day umajo

Sounds good ...
When you're with Undarra, ask them for directions to the volcano crater 1/2 way between the main highway & the Undarra site [it's on the left as you drive into the park] and about 1/2km off the access road ~ which btw is bitumen all the way in !
You can walk to the top of the old crater, and if you're really keen, then walk down into the old crater to the bottom ~ not often you can brag about going down into a volcano ~ might sound crazy, probably is, but it's fun to do & depending upon the weather, can give you some good pix

Also the sunset champers & nibbles tour takes you to an off-line peak where you can get some 'pretty' images of the setting sun & landscapes while enjoying a quaff & nibbles

Many of the lava tubes are so large they can fit a suburban house without the house touching the sides or the roof - good w/angle lens stuff, then there are the bats in the roof and so it goes on ...

Enjoy it ~, Phil

Judyd
27-10-2011, 8:54pm
G'day umajo

Sounds good ...
When you're with Undarra, ask them for directions to the volcano crater 1/2 way between the main highway & the Undarra site [it's on the left as you drive into the park] and about 1/2km off the access road ~ which btw is bitumen all the way in !
You can walk to the top of the old crater, and if you're really keen, then walk down into the old crater to the bottom ~ not often you can brag about going down into a volcano ~ might sound crazy, probably is, but it's fun to do & depending upon the weather, can give you some good pix

Also the sunset champers & nibbles tour takes you to an off-line peak where you can get some 'pretty' images of the setting sun & landscapes while enjoying a quaff & nibbles

Many of the lava tubes are so large they can fit a suburban house without the house touching the sides or the roof - good w/angle lens stuff, then there are the bats in the roof and so it goes on ...

Enjoy it ~, Phil

Phil I'm muscling in on this thread to ask a question as well - we're planning a trip up that way and further up to cape york next August Sept. Is it ok to take the good camera gear 5DII etc given the dust and vibration etc or is it too hard to protect it all?
Judy

Judyd
27-10-2011, 8:55pm
weekend is geting closer and i am getting excited getting my gear all ready:efelant:

sounds a wonderful trip umajo - hope you have a fantastic time.

Lesley Bray
28-10-2011, 12:33am
Judy - I travel a lot around Aus - preferring remote places - I take my 40D, 5DII and L lens with me everywhere. They are always in the 4WD within easy reach - yes they get dusty and have a few bump marks on them. One of my lens rolled out of the car once and onto the ground when I jumped out to take a photo. Sometimes they get bounced around in the vehicle and I usually put a pillow or similar around them. I guess I should treat my equipment with more care, but it's too time consuming extracting a camera from a dust proof bag everytime you see a photo opportunity, the moment is often lost. Been to Cape York a couple of times and even to the north of India which was very dusty.
I haven't had a major problem with dust inside my camera and lenses.
Lesley

Judyd
28-10-2011, 7:22am
Judy - I travel a lot around Aus - preferring remote places - I take my 40D, 5DII and L lens with me everywhere. They are always in the 4WD within easy reach - yes they get dusty and have a few bump marks on them. One of my lens rolled out of the car once and onto the ground when I jumped out to take a photo. Sometimes they get bounced around in the vehicle and I usually put a pillow or similar around them. I guess I should treat my equipment with more care, but it's too time consuming extracting a camera from a dust proof bag everytime you see a photo opportunity, the moment is often lost. Been to Cape York a couple of times and even to the north of India which was very dusty.
I haven't had a major problem with dust inside my camera and lenses.
Lesley

thanks so much for this info Lesley - like you say i want to take the good gear for all the photo opps but don't want to create ongoing problems. You've totally put my mind at rest. thanks
Judy

OzzieTraveller
28-10-2011, 6:14pm
G'day Judy

I'd generally agree with Lesley - it's not too different from other things in life ... look after it & treat things kindly ...
I've been on-the-wallaby on & off for lots of time since the 1960s and dust, knocks & rattles are just one of them-there things

Over the past 12-18 months with the pentax, I have had lots of dust-bunnies as unwanted-travellers-on-board ~ but as for dust in lenses -nup, dust causing issues with other stuff -nup ... it all rolls along

Hope this also helps your travels
Regards, Phil

Judyd
28-10-2011, 8:35pm
G'day Judy

I'd generally agree with Lesley - it's not too different from other things in life ... look after it & treat things kindly ...
I've been on-the-wallaby on & off for lots of time since the 1960s and dust, knocks & rattles are just one of them-there things

Over the past 12-18 months with the pentax, I have had lots of dust-bunnies as unwanted-travellers-on-board ~ but as for dust in lenses -nup, dust causing issues with other stuff -nup ... it all rolls along

Hope this also helps your travels
Regards, Phil

thanks so much Phil - greatly appreciated to hear your comments as well. I'm delighted to know that i can take my gear 'cos after all taking photos is part of the reason for exploring our great outdoors!!
thanks again
Judy